1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age Origins - Do not spoil story!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chime, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

http://dragonage.bioware.com/sacred_ashes.html

It's the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

Here's some actual gameplay (it's hard to fucking find videos for it!):

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins/17-1477/

My view: The character/NPC interaction is a step up from Mass Effect and other Bioware titles (at least from some videos I've seen) and the story looks interesting for high fantasy fair. The gameplay looks iffy, since it doesn't appear to be too revolutionary (indeed it seems to resemble Oblivion or WoW) – however, I'll reserve my judgment there until I can see more.

It comes out November 3rd. Realize, I just found out about this game 2 days ago and was quite shocked. I had no idea Bioware was making another game at the same time as ME2. Just goes to show how big they've gotten.

It's a little disgusting so much DLC is being released on launch day for this, I can tell EA has its money grubbing hands in it... but if the gameplay is good, I'll definitely get it. It will support player-made mods on both the PC and the Xbox (so they claim on the xbox, who's to say if that'll be the case).

But it looks to be solid, at least in presentation. Its biggest feature so far is that the story changes depending upon your social and racial status (common elves are trated like trash by many NPCs, for example; the mage class has a special multiple hour opening quest).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Got this preordered. Looks absolutely awesome.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I'm still holding my breath, hoping it will be released on Steam. I know some people don't like DDL, but it's very convenient for me. I hate storing CDs and boxes.

some more gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-york-dragon-age/45248

The mage so far seems to be the most interesting class, but my first character will probably a rogue.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ive been looking forward to this for a while now. Something Ive read about that Ive thought was pretty awesome, was the fact that your choices actually make a difference now.

Piss off a character when trying to get him to help defend a city and you can actually lose a lot of ground on the defensive front and risk the destruction of the city, which alters the story later in the game.

Follow the wrong romance line or make too many decisions that go against a characters morals and you can lose party members.

Really a lot of it looks pretty awesome, but I'll wait to see the finished project to see if they manage the execution as well as the theory.

5. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I'll probably be first in line to get it: It's from the makers of KOTOR, Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate, plus I'm needing a 'fantasy-setting fix' since I played Oblivion, but Jesus, Bioware, the game looks fucking ugly. The lighting is horrendous, the color pallette awful and the characters have the charisma and the expressiveness of a fucking wall.

I still don't get how it got to this level of Ugly. The art I saw was looking good and solid, but it seems that there've been some bad design choices made.

Here's hoping the gameplay and the plot will make up for it.

6. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I'm kinda sad they dropped D&D, but it still looks awesome.

7. azrael

azrael Professor

So I'm pretty sure there is a demo of this available on XBox live, has anyone tried it?

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I've been waiting for this game for a long time now - being Baldur's Gate fan and all.

I was wandering what character to create for first playthrough. A human warrior (for the romances which, IMO, are integral part of the story in any BioWare game) or dwarven commoner rouge (becasue DC origin is awesome).

9. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Nope, I checked 2 seconds ago and there's no demo of it, unless the european and american xbox live servers share different marketplaces.

Pity, I wanted to try out the gameplay before buying.

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I checked the North American one, no demo in sight.

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

The only demo I've heard of is the character creator, which has been out for a week. I didn't think they were going to release one with actual gameplay.

My first character will be: Female Elf Common (just because I spoiled myself with their opening scenario... and it looks awesome, probably going to go evil with her and slaughter some humans).

Second: Either male dwarf noble or human male commoner.

12. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I've had this pre-ordered for a while now, being a fan of Baldur's Gate (as well as any other story driven fantasy game) I'm really hoping this doesn't disappoint.

Another thing to look forward to is the promise of at least 60 hours of play time to finish. RPG's that I can finish in a sitting or two irritate me to no end.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

14. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

The mage skills look awesome; not too sure on how to feel about friendly fire and how it'll affect how much I can spam grease + inferno.

Never played the original Dragons Age or Baldurs Gate, not too sure on how to feel about the combat from what I've seen.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Dragon age is the first of its kind, there is no previous dragon age. It has the subtitle origins b/c it'll probably follow the same pattern ME is. Bioware has expressed a desire to cultivate their own series, so Dragon Age: Origins is probably the first in a planned trilogy (provided origins does well enough) like ME.

If you haven't played Baldur's Gate ... go play it. You've got a week or so to play it, so do it.

16. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

It's on my To-Play list, along with pretty much the whole Diablo and Warcraft series. :awesome

17. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Screw Baldur's Gate. Skip straight to Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. Best game ever. I tried the first one after I played the second one and wanted to cry. I mean, Minsc barely screamed in rage at all!

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Get the entire pack of BG I + expansion + BGII + expansion and then install Baldur's Gate Trilogy to play it as one, huge game.

Also install some mods to tweek the game to your desire.

19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Yeah, BG2 is good but I spoiled my experience with BG1 by playing BG2 first...

Oh and don't bother playing the whole Warcraft series, you can get away with just playing WC3. WC1 is... abandonware and WC2 is more outdated than even Diablo l.

While we're on the subject of 'PC games to play'... add:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_-_Bloodlines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2 (EA dropped it, you can DL it now and play on private servers legally)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_II:_The_Age_of_Kings

Basically all the games I've played that have kept me entertained for more than a week.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqV-jVhL0Y4 NSFW pre-review of DA... I don't know how veracious it is (seems humorous but untrustworthy), but some of the descriptions of the violence, sex, and gore make this game sound something different from what I've been really hearing (I didn't think there were attacks for ripping faces off, if such a spell really does exist).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I spent godknows how many hours playing Tribes 2. Shifter, and Renegade mods were awesome fun. The reaction I gave when I finally switched from a 433mhz Celeron with integrated video, to a 2ghz Celeron with a Geforce mx 440 card would of been priceless to see today. I was struck silent by it's beauty (at the time)