1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Moridin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's getting more frequent, but shorter updates now. Quite like her promotion and the way that people are seeing her worth and versatility now. About time she gets her accolades.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, more updates, but they seem a bit shorter. I feel like the past, the last two chapters would have been one.

But I'm okay with that given the frequency. Whatever works for the author. Also we're into more and more original territory. After all, once the timeskip finishes Shikako has to have 'kept up' and I haven't got any doubts she will have. Especially with Kakashi apparently getting off his ass and helping out Sasuke (since he won't have Orochimaru screwing with him).

3. PpJt

PpJt Second Year

I'm perfectly ok with 3-4k word chapters every week.

And I agree, it's only getting more and more interesting to me. I somehow find the day-to-day stuff of being a shinobi fascinating.

4. katreus

katreus First Year

Another update.

Shikako really is a pair for her twin. She's becoming the EQ and social manipulator to Shikamaru's IQ and battle strategies and analysis.

That was cold, Shikako. And extremely vindictive. But hilarious.

And as a side note, Shikako with the knowledge and experience to navigate Konoha's bureaucracy is pretty terrifying.

5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I stopped reading this when the author started including anime filler and lost my place. When did the filler end?

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It really doesn't. The filler is absolutely out of control to be honest. I stopped reading it after a while too, reread it recently and it's not as good as I remembered :|

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

It's gotten to original filler though. The author doesn't take the easy path and do a time-skip to when Naruto comes back, she's taking the time to show the growth of her characters.

8. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't actually mind the filler, especially since it's not actually treated as filler. The author takes the plots, adds her own spin to them, and is even now incorporating the consequences into ongoing events. They feel more like original arcs and are, as Banta said, much preferable to a timeskip. This way we see where the characters are getting their new skills, mindsets and ideas from, which makes the growth feel much more organic than if she simply skipped a couple of years.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Also, given the scope of the last chapter, actual canon might be pretty significantly diverted.

10. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, the covering a few of the filler arcs stopped and for ten or so chapters now, we are seeing her life and her new responsibilities in Konoha, which are not canon events, but rather original content, fleshing out the world, the characters and the changes that are now slowly beginning to take shape.

11. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I really don't like the authors conception of Konoha. The bureaucracy aspect of it is played up way too much.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They've got a military of around 30,000 people, according to one of the early chapters. That practically demands a shit load of bureaucracy in order to be wielded in an effective manner. That's not even going into the level of secrecy inherent in a ninja village, especially when they don't have computers.

13. thattin

thattin Second Year

Reading through this again I still really enjoyed this story. It keeps a serious tone without going too grimdark or whatever it's called. I thought some of the filler dragged on a bit and the parts with Sai felt a bit off too. Overall I much prefer the original content that is being released now. A time-skip would have felt cheap especially due to the first person narration and I am genuinely looking forward to what comes next.

I do get the amusing impression though that Tsunade is trying to groom Shikako to be the next Hokage. Trying to familiarize her with various departments and how the system works. That would be fun for her to have to explain to Naruto if it came to it.

14. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I don't think it's actually played up any more than in other examples, we just actually see it. "Hokage does loadsapaperwork" is practically memetic at this point, and is not without basis. In Life in Konoha's ANBU, Naruto visits all sorts of departments and whatnot, we just don't actually see any organizational breakdown in detail besides ANBU's itself.

Here, Shikako saw some of the offices we generally just smash together into "faceless background departments doing stuff it makes sense for a ninja village to do but that our charachter isn't gonna interact with so who cares".

15. katreus

katreus First Year

Another update.

I thought this was a strange chapter. It feels compressed for something that clearly covers a period of time and yet, it seems pretty straightforward with some foreshadowing set up.

It was only on the second read through that I realized Silver Queen had snuck in a ton of updates as to what Team 7 has been up to, activity and training wise. That was well done. It was so integrated that I didn't even realize it had happened.

I was amused at some of the world building details in this chapter like shuriken print duvets. Of course, they'd have that instead of, I don't know, Lion King themed duvets.

For example, Shikako has been learning the muscle rejuvenation medical jutsu and starting to utilize it, and this was covered in a smooth one sentence. She's clearly worked with her Gelel shadow state enough to be able to use it in combat now (as demonstrated), and she's had some success with both hammerspace and her chakra storage stones even if neither is perfected (more casual one liners).

Meanwhile, Sasuke has a fire style variant of Chidori and practiced his chakra suppression enough to sneak up on a sensor. I suspect that he's in ANBU now from some of his comments.

Huh. Sasuke is not allowed to leave the village on missions, but as a faceless ANBU, he... may be able to. And Kakashi and Shikako know chakra suppression as well. Now that I think about it, Team 7 (without Naruto) could be a pretty good Hunter team. Stealth, tracking (visual + scent + chakra), awareness, sword skills, and generalized combat skills.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  16. Nemrut

High Score:
    It's the little things that I love as well. Like the whole Yellow Flash story book for children or the stretch rhymes. Really helps grounding the world and fleshing things out. Makes it feel more real and organic.

17. Ched

This was a fun chapter I thought. Now Kakashi and Sasuke know that Shikako can turn into shadow, and she managed to do without as many side effects as previously.

I am surprised that Shikako didn't ask Sasuke what he was up to lately though. He hinted at it, and she picked up on the hints, but I'd still have expected her to ask either him or Kakashi. Even if she didn't think she'd get an answer.

Then again maybe he gave her more than he supposed to, with the comment about people noticing if he'd gone dark. Was he joking about 'people' being the Hokage? I assumed so, but not positive.

Also Kakashi popping up out of nowhere to sneak up on Shikako is hilarious. I approve.

I wonder what 'surgery' Tsunade wants him to have? Does she want him to remove the Sharingan? That's the only thing I can think of that would help deal with his chakra exhaustion. Otherwise it's probably something new for DoS rather than canon?

18. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

If not surgery to remove the Sharingan, then surgery to enable him to switch it on and off at will, I supect.

And I finally learn what my new title is. Sweet.

19. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Is that even possible, really? Without deactivating the eye as a whole? I think that would be a little unsatisfying as a plot device, not to mention Kakashi has no real reason to say no.

I agree that it's likely surgery to remove the Sharingan, as it explains Kakashi's reluctance as wanting to preserve the last remnant of his old teammate.

Also, can someone remind me what's happening with Root in this fic? I think I'm conflating a lot of DoS with Vapors. It's just that the first thing I thought of when I read Sasuke's statement was that he was in Root (hence the need for him to show the Hokage he's still around), but that would be monumentally risky since the first hint of such a thing reaching Itachi would bring hell down on Danzo's head.

20. Ched

Sasuke didn't say he was in r00t. He said that 'they' didn't give him much time, and only gave him because he said there were people who would notice if he went totally dark. Could be ANBU, assuming the line about the Hokage was a joke (I think it was).

From what I can recall, there hasn't been much going on with r00t that's made it into the main plot. I'm not sure r00t has been mentioned by name at all outside of Shikako's head.

Danzo debriefed Naruto, Shikako, and Shikamaru after the Gelel fiasco before Tsunade showed up. We might have got some internal dialogue from Shikako then regarding it.

Sai went on a mission with Naruto and Shikako, and Shikako made an effort to draw him out. She sorted out that he had been given secondary mission goals by someone other than Tsunade, that Tsunade didn't know about it, and that he had a seal on his tongue to keep him from talking about it. Naruto also knows the above, and appeared to share it with various people he trusted.

That's all I can recall of what's going on with r00t at the moment. It's implied they're moving and trying to make a comeback, but that's it?