1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden and Murphy Soul Gaze

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zed, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

^This.

Harry always makes it a point to not go around looking people in the eyes for too long. People in general, not just magical people, but everyone.

My interpretation is that it's the Wizard/Magical!Person who actually Soul Gazes (initiates it, whatever) and that the other person involved just gets taken along for the full ride when they do.

So Murphy couldn't initiate a Soul Gaze, but it doesn't matter because if she and Harry looked each other in the eyes long enough he could.

I always thought it was kind of neat that they were such close friends without doing this. Seems like it's been a starting point for a lot of the trust in Harry's other relationships (Susan, Michael, etc. all gazed Harry early on) but Murphy's relationship with him was built without that.

Granted all of our real relationships are built without a soul gaze, but in the context of the Dresdenverse I thought it was interesting. I'd like to see them gaze though. Hopefully it will come up eventually.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yea, but we kinda already know what Murphy's is gonna be. She'll likely be some guardian-angel-type being holding a shield shaped like her CPD badge. Or some other visual representation of a protector somehow tied in with a symbol for the CPD. While that may not cover the whole thing, that probably describes the important bits. It's probably never going to happen though, since soulgazes, thus far, have almost always been used to establish the character/motivations of the gazee. The only exception to this, thus far, was Thomas' soulgaze, which was also a plot device. We already know what drives Murphy, as well as the depth of her character. There's really no need for a soulgaze.

I just want to know what other people see when Dresden soulgazes them. I've been dying to know that since he soulgazed Marcone.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

That's the thing though - are you sure about that? Every time Harry's looked at Murphy with the Sight, she's been laying some righteous smackdown on some bad guy. I don't think we've ever seen her idle, and a soulgaze is a hell of a lot more intimate than the Sight.

Long story short, I have to wonder whether Murphy's been dodging soulgazes since day one for a reason.

4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

In Proven Guilty, Harry Sees Murph, and she's just sitting at the end of a patient's bed. I think he describes her as still appearing as a tattered guardian angel - but her Sight!self was also smiling, benevolent.

5. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

Then wtf did Jim mean up there? Anyone can clarify?

6. Agayek

He meant the initiator of the soulgaze has to have serious magical chops. As long as one party is a wizard, the soul gaze will happen, otherwise it'll fizzle.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

She's pretty much been fired now though. Since she's free of being restrained by the laws, and thinks Harry's dead, she could snap with grief, and turn into some sort of crazy bitch avenging angel of death.

8. Agayek

Huh, while that's highly unlikely, it would be hysterical to see. I kinda want to see it now, just because it would be so random and hilarious.

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, not crazy, like Joker crazy, but like Michael on steriods, smiting the fuck out of anything on a recovery mission to protect Harry's soul.

10. Agayek

Yea, that's basically what I was picturing. Murphy just sorta stomping through various and sundry supernatural hangouts while smiting various not-people.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry for necroing this one but I had a comment on this matter:

Didn't they soul gaze prior Storm Front? I mean, that could have been the thing to convince Murphy that Harry is legit (a wizard I mean). There had to be something that convinced Murphy that Harry was truly what he proposed to be and I don't think a wave of his staff and a blatant show of magic was what did.

A Soul Gaze is much more intense, convincing and "real" than seeing Harry shoot fire. There was a reason why Murphy, despite some mistrust into Dresden, believed that Dresden was supernatural and why Carmichael didn't. He didn't have a Soul Gaze with Harry.

I could be wrong of course since I don't have my books with me but I think that was pretty much implied. At least that is what I got.

Edit: my fail, for mixing the names >_>

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  12. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Carmichael. Lawl.

I think Murphy's belief in the preternatural actually comes from how she and Dresden met - he was battling a troll and she helped him out. It happens in a short story set pre-Storm Front called Restoration of Faith. I think they haven't soulgazed yet, personally.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry for the name mix-up.

But fighting one monster is not really proof that Harry is both, a wizard and a good guy. I don't know but they were pretty close at times and I can't imagine being that close without looking into each others eyes. I mean, not trusting to look into the eyes and still being friends for so long and trusting each other is not really realistic, even if there are different rules applying to them.

Or it really hasn't happened and Butcher saves it for Dresden's return to the living in order to convince Murphy that the returned Harry is Harry.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're mistaking Murphy for Susan with the pre-Storm Front soul gaze. Harry and Murphy haven't had one in the series yet, which is why they keep avoiding each others' eyes.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I know I'm repeating others, but yes. Dresden and Murphy have not soulgazed. The fact that they have not yet is confirmed in one of the earlier books, and I assume if they had done it since the series started that we'd have heard about it.

If you haven't read A Restoration of Faith then I'd suggest you check it out. There's nothing concrete about trust in it, but I think it was a good start. Murphy might not have believed him about magic and whatnot, but it might have made her willing to consult him about weird stuff.