1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Casefiles #2

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Riley, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Anyway, this is getting nowhere, and Riley's spoken. Lexi...despite your abbrasiveness, I think you had good intentions, even if I don't agree with them.
    Zennith, if you're so insistent Riley should be respected and trusted, start doing so by listening when he says drop it.

So, on topic:
    Thoughts on this?

And yeah, someone please get on making that Moderator subthread.

2. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

No interest in discussing this further. If you cannot see why it's essential that the thread was locked at that specific moment, then I can't help you. If you want to believe that somehow I took it upon myself to maliciously interfere with Riley's game for no just cause, by all means continue to think that. Doesn't bother me a lick.

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

The reason I'm not dropping it is that I think there should actually be a general rule that mod's can't make changes or do ANYTHING to games they're participating in as players. That's why I'm keeping this up.

---------- Post automerged at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Great attitude.

4. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Citrus almost won, almost which is pretty epic considering how his scum mates were all over the place. It was basically Citrus vs. Town.

The other thing was the people who barely posted, they made it boring and also more dangerous for people who were actually posting. Those people are the true scum :p

Titus, you were really awesome. If I had been town vanilla I would have sheeped you.

5. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The code that convinced me to protect you over Bill :p

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Em, no that sounds very unnecessary. This situation only happened because the weird protection loop that Merlin and Elaine can give combined with both Aekiel and Titus being townfirmed, it's not something that's likely to happen again. Also RNG modkills are a terrible and non fun way to decide who wins a game.

7. Lyrium

And Vira, thanks for the awesome mentoring, I just didn't find proper motivations for being scum until I was already being lynched :p

8. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I'm not gonna sit here and argue until I'm blue in the face with someone who is set in their way of thinking? it's a waste of my valuable time and energy that could be spent doing something more productive.

Sloth, that solution is... well, the good part of it is that it's STANDARDIZED. Obviously, we want to avoid any kind of endless loop situations where town and scum come to an impasse. If they happen though, and they DO happen on rare occassion, having a standardized, equal to all factions rule in the DLP ruleset would be a good idea. Because, as such, it's not a CHANGE to game state and doesn't affect things.

I'm not sure I'd use that rule EXACTLY. I'm actually quite ok with the solution Rubicon proffered, but I'm open to other ideas! Also, if I'm abrasive, I'm sorry? lol. Not my intention.

9. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I agree with this. I don't want to start a game only for a mod to try to interfere with it. The problem, Lexi, is that you don't care about our opinions. We think someone wrong was done, but instead of discussing it with us and finding a solution, you tell us to fuck off.

10. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Also, apologies to Titus for being a bitch! I get frustrated with people waaaaaayyyy too easily recently.

11. Bill Door

Lol, Pot calling the Kettle black? You weren't exactly Ollie levels of lurking but you didn't exactly post much.

12. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I care about your opinions, just not when they're in the form of accusations of "extortion" and "bullying".

13. Zennith

High Score:

This. Am I being too aggressive about it? Maybe. But I'm simply matching YOUR tone, Lexi.

You're being touchy and personal about things that were said in the obs thread instead of considering the objective issue at hand.

And to note, neither of those things were said by me, and I'm the one you're telling to go fuck himself, it seems.

14. Lyrium

Bill_Door - Yes, but I was scum and "calculated inactivity" is an actual strategy.

I totally thought Zircon was Dresden lol because of something I read about cops putting in random votes and disappearing. So the wiki's cannot be entirely trusted.

15. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I was not the one who mixed the "objective issue" and the "personal things". That would be, let me see, you people in the obs who took your limited knowledge of the story and took it upon yourselves to assume my actions were done for a specific reason.

Now, you want to talk about the objectivity of someone in a game "moderating"? I agree, players in games should not be affecting gamestate.

On the other hand, you've yet to provide me with a good solid reason why allowing the gametate to run (and thus risking further and potentially "point of no return" contamination) for any length of time is a good thing. Do I think it was optimal that I locked the thread? No. For example, on a site like Mafaiscum, there's a shit ton of mods who are all assigned to different places to do these jobs and there IS no confllict of interest.

However, this is 1 game for 1 board with 2 mods who play a lot! How do you propose we find a match in the middle? because I cannot see a way to save the game without me locking that thread.

16. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I was very impressed by Citrus. I feel Zennith gave himself away right before I was lynched though, and I called him on it.
    Hey Bill, was that why you investigated him first? I wondered. Or was it just a random choice?

As for the rule I proposed...I don't know. I find that ties are WAY less fun than my suggestion. Mostly feels like the whole game led up to nothing if no one wins. I think we could revise it and only use it in specific situations, but it has potential.

Ok. Just to address this:
    I was the only one that used those words, and I took them back before the game was over.
    Don't focus on them, I used them because the way Rubicon made it sound, it DID sound like that--in short, I misunderstood, and I fully admitted it.
    However, they explained it clearly afterwards, and that's when I backed off.

17. Bill Door

It's a strategy that makes the game boring for other people though.

18. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Right, but so does creating apathy and keeping the status quo, but those are extremely high percentage scum maneuvers.

---------- Post automerged at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Er, high percentage as in they work a lot

19. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't think you were bullying, Lexi. I don't care that much that the thread was closed while you talked with Riley as that's easily solvable. Next time just PM the game host before closing the thread.

It just makes me nervous when the a group of people voice their concerns to a mod, only for the mod to hand-wave them away with a "I'm right, you're wrong." That's the attitude you seem to have, and it doesn't make a fun subforum when the mod isn't willing to listen to other people's opinions.

20. Zennith

High Score:
    It's your subjective opinion that the gamestate Riley introduced was bad. There are a lot of people here who seem to disagree with your opinion on that. It WASN'T mandatory that you lock that game. You didn't need to save the game. The game was not in danger.

I propose you ask the individual game mod like any other player. Riley was on, obviously, and it's your own fault you didn't have the obs link (you could have asked. I know I got one when I died). And sure, maybe if you're a mod, you can't play in every single game because there does need to be that objective third party. That's part of being a mod, imo.