1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Durmstrang's anti-muggleborn position due to the Soviet Union?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was wondering if the existence of the Soviet Union is what led to muggleborns being banned from Durmstrang. Of course it could be in canon that it was always this way, but I this idea that it could have happened in the 20s or 30s.

The KGB and its various predecessors such as the Cheka had their fingers everywhere. Maybe covering up and magically explaining away the disappearance of students may have been to odious a task to fulfil? Maybe the task required so many people they risked the Statute?

It may also have been a loyalty issue. The Soviet Union had propaganda and indoctrination down to a fine art. Maybe by school age the average Soviet raised muggleborns was too loyal to the Soviet government? The issue likely extended to the parents as well, maybe the parents kept trying to inform the authorities of "counter-revolutionaries"? Maybe students ran the risk of running afoul of the security services constantly?

Thoughts? Maybe it would make for an interesting story explaining how it happened.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It would certainly add interesting context to Dumstrang being the 'bad school' especially if it was associated imperial Russia and the Tzar's prior to the revolution. If the muggles were getting all stab happy when it came to anyone with fancy clothes, it would be one explanation as to why the school ended up with a far more hardline stance on muggleborns.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Durmstrang us in Northern Scandinavia and Russia has its own school, Koldovstoretz.

It's anti-muggleborn stance is probably just JKR playing up the whole "Cold and Dark" feel the north brings as apposed to the warm and light feel of Beauxbatons.

It's easier to relate the harsh sounds of Nordic and Germanic names to evil.

I don't think the wizarding KGB would have anything to do with it really but then again, if you asked JKR it's exactly the sort of bullshit she'd go along with.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I might be wrong here, but the derivation of Durmstrang's name seems to be from the German Sturm und Drang. While I could understand it being in the Soviet Union, East Germany in particular, it would definitely have nothing to do with the Tsars. It would be cool if the school was Prussian and the military regimen and discipline of the Junkers was what caused it to be like that. The Prussians were conservative as fuck, or at least were before WWI, and their school would definitely be against getting in muggleborns and/or ingratiating themselves with the Soviets.

Pottermore simply says it's located in the far north of Europe, so maybe it means it's in Scandinavia?That would totally blow your KGB/Stasi theory, though, so I think a Prussian Durmstrang makes a lot more sense.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Really? I always thought it was in Russia, I guess that nixes that idea then.

6. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It's not so clear cut. The Prussians were also one of the first to instigate a compulsory education, so they were fairly democratic in that manner.

However, I'm against giving muggle rulers so much influence over magical affairs.
    Funnily enough, a large chunk of villains in HP have French names (Voldemort, Malfoy, Lestrange, Rosier), while all founders aside from Slytherin had German names (Godric, Rowena, Helga).

7. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Cool. This I didn't know.

8. Sivcere

Sivcere Squib

High Score:
    Pretty sure instead of all this Russian stuff, JK wanted to show that not every school is as accepting of blood status as Hogwarts. By having a school that only caters to Pure Bloods and maybe half bloods shows this is a global issue, instead of just a couple of dickheads in Britain.

If every school was as accepting as Hogwarts and Beauxbatons then you would be asking where all the blood politics were coming from.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd also be wary of putting too much emphasis on what is ultimately recent politics. After all, it seems pretty clear that Wizard/Muggle relations have a very long history. I could just as easily buy that Durmstrang doesn't like Muggleborns because they had trouble with them due to all the religious wars in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Actually, that could make for a fun story idea. Have some Muggleborns end up backing the Catholic League and/or Evangelical Union, and proceeding to add to the already horrifying clusterfuck that was the Thirty Years War.

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I'd be pretty weary of putting too much emphasis on recent politics as well. But, I'd also be weary of attaching emphasis to older politics. It can be done, and done well, but there'd be a whole lot of background to cover as the Thirty year's war had a facade of religion covering the deeper division in French-Habsburg relations. Now, something could definitely be built on that, but it'd take a more thoroughly fleshing out to be viable than most authors are willing to put into fanfics.

That's a strange sentence.

11. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

By "democratic" I mean handling all classes (which translates to purebloods and muggleborns in this case) the same way, at least in terms of education.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Very true. I could see plenty of potential for fun worldbuilding when it comes to why anti-muggleborn policies exist, but unless the writer really digs into it, probably best to leave it be.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    By very nature of wizards living long lives... rivalries and political enmity will last longer than in the muggle world.

14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No problem. I just found the juxtaposition of the two words funny.

15. moonpotato

moonpotato First Year

Maybe egalitarian would describe that slightly better?

16. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Considered it, but egalitarianism is more about seeing all people as equal, while democracy is about the law treating them as equal (among other things). However, I'm not a native English speaker and it's possible that the usage of "democratic" in this case in unique to my country.