1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uncharted 4's biggest delay came from Amy Hennig - the game's director - leaving mid production.

And the game still came out in three years after TLoU (and that included making the PS4 LoU Port inhouse).

TLoU also came out two years after shipping Uncharted 3.

They're wizards at ND and have had years of consistency. If anything, 2019 given their record is late, but everything I'm seeing from Lost Legacy indicates this isn't a small project, even if they're reusing assets and Druckman isn't working on it.

2. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Anthem is what really stood out to me, mostly because of the native 4K and it seems like the kind of games I enjoy. Other than that, not too much looks good. I already knew about Destiny 2 so I'm not really all that hyped for much this year. I might need to branch out and try some new games.

I'm really looking forward to some actual Anthem gameplay and not a tailored showoff environment. Yeah, what we saw looks cool, but I'd like some more information on how flight works and where you can/can't use it. It also looked like specific paths connect various zones rather than it truly being open, like when the player first takes flight, and a little afterwards when the player first lands.

Also Metro. I'm gonna play the fuck out of Metro.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Sigh. I take it back and eat my words...

Looks like Skull & Bones is basically For Honour - Pirates!

So disappointed... How does anyone play Black Flag and think 'This game's not quite immersive enough, let's get rid of the story entirely and focus on pvp!'?!

4. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Uncharted 4 took five years to make. Gone are the days where companies are able to shit out a game in a couple of years, let alone a game of any notable worth.

With no serious efforts made for a TLoU sequel until after Uncharted 4 finished production, I find it hard to believe that they'll start and finish it inside of three years. Production started on Uncharted 4 almost immediately after Uncharted 3, but the same can't be said for TLoU part II.

The TLoU team joined back up with the Uncharted team to finish up part 4. Then add on top that they aren't all working on TLoU because some stayed behind to bust out some killer DLC, my hopes aren't high. They'll take as long as need. Once we get some actual solid gameplay I might reconsider my opinion, but all we got was a CG trailer 6 months ago. Death Stranding had a couple of CG trailers, I don't expect that game before 2020.

I, also, feel like the port of TLoU cancels itself out since they stated that it helped them learn the architecture of the PS4 and made the development of U4 quicker.

But goddamn, do I want anything Naughty Dog has to offer.

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Pokemon Switch confirmed.

Edit: So is Metroid Prime 4.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    POKEMON ON SWITCH. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Fucking Nintendo, what the fuck. What the fuck is the sudden quiet announcement with no info out of nowhere you bastards.

7. Heleor

Wrapped up with a new Mario trailer and a release date (10/27).

Nintendo really brought the games and surprise announcements here.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everyone's all salty about the lack of Smash Brothers, but I'm just sittin' here thinking about how awesome Pokemon, Metroid, and Mario are going to be. Damn I love Nintendo.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I guess I have to get a Switch now.

11. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And it seems like Amiibos will be replacing mods in Switch's Skyrim. Nintendo remains king of unnecessary and mildly irritating peripherals which I simultaneously want and wish didn't exist.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Spiderman: Arkham Uncharted looked pretty awesome, although I've been hurt by Spiderman games before...cautiously optimistic on that.

Shadow of the Colossus will be a definite purchase, as not finishing the original is one of my greatest regrets in gaming.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy had me at 'new Uncharted content' (there seems to be some disagreement about whether it's an U4 DLC or an entire spin-off game? Either way, super excited).

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

If it's not a full, stand-alone game, I will eat my hat.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Metroid Prime by a team other than Retro. I have little faith.

15. Heleor

To be fair, Retro no longer has the original team that worked on Prime.

Do we know who the new team is and whether it has any of the original developers?

16. Gengar

High Score:
    No disagreement... It's a standalone game (you don't need to own 4)that is about as deep/similar scope as early Uncharted games.

And a new Metroid....

!!!!!

... Prime

Oh get fucked.

17. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Don't forget, Yoshi Switch and Kirby Switch in 2018.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    To those concerned about QTE in Spiderman.

From Game Informer's interview of Insomniac:

Are those quick time events going to be annoying?*
    Hard to tell at this point, but Insomniac seems sensitive to fan’s concerns. The team says that these quick-time button prompts will be used to heighten the action during high spectacle moments, but the plan is to uses quick-time events sparingly.

19. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    If it's anything like God of War 3, then I'm so down for them doing it. Just so long as it's not Order 1886 level QTE. I think The Order is the main reason why people seem a little concerned. But how else does anyone expect highly cinematic set piece moments to be handled anyway?

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I dunno, maybe by designing the game to be driven by gameplay and organic moments rather than "cinematic" set-pieces that actively detract from the game experience?

I mean, shit. For about a third of the spiderman trailer, and pretty much all QTE set-pieces, it's basically a movie that makes you press the Play button every few seconds. It's neither engaging nor fun, and generally only serves to break whatever immersion the user may have built up.

If you really must include ridiculous set-pieces completely divorced from the game's mechanics, then just make it a bloody cutscene, a reward for the game played well. Don't make the user have to dig their remote out in the middle of it.