1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2018

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Heleor, May 29, 2018.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The only people I can think of by name for ME are Drew Karpyshyn – good as a games writer, not so great as a novelist – Casey Hudson, and Mac Walters, all of which contributed to the Mass Effect trilogy in significant ways.

Karpyshyn, who was he head writer for ME & ME2, recently left BioWare for the second time after working on Anthem for a while. I think he was also involved in developing parts of the Old Republic story/lore, before leaving BioWare behind for the first time in 2012. He was responsible for a lot of the novels set in the ME universe, to varying degrees of success, as well as two TOR companion novels. I remember reading he‘s now a freelancer.

Walters replaced Karpyshyn for ME3 after having relatively little experience in writing, and I‘d be the first to admit that it shows. However, there was also the trouble over the leaked/scrapped Dark Energy ending (not sure about which version is actually true), so I‘m willing to plead mitigating circumstances for him. There were still some very good moments during ME3, after all. He was then involved in ME Andromeda, and I’m definitely not going to give him a pass for that. In retrospect, that story was a mess. His Twitter account has been silent for over a year, and I have no idea what he does now. His bio still lists him as Creative Director for ME:A.

Hudson, of course, was the director for the trilogy, before leaving and returning to BioWare last year as GM, likely to oversee the demise of this once great developer.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Karpyshyn wrote like half the class storylines for vanilla TOR, if memory serves, and his involvement with Anthem is what led to my initial hopes for the game. It's too bad everything I've seen since gave the impression he didn't have nearly the creative freedom needed for making that good though.

As for Walters, he's actually not awful. He's not great, but he's better than average, I'd say. ME3 was largely fairly well written; it had some problematic elements (read: the Crucible ex Machina and the ending), and they cast a big shadow, but the rest of the game was at least moderately well written. At worst, it was "decent, for a video game" tier, with some real standout moments (Tuchanka and Palaven spring to mind). And while Andromeda had a lot of flaws, the writing wasn't really one of them. It didn't touch ME1, that's for sure, but very few things do. It was at least on par with ME2, plot wise, and the characters weren't that far off either. Andromeda's big issues were bugs and graphical nonsense, not the writing.

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I was going to say "nothing really," as the main games I am looking forward to within the next year-ish(Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods, and Age of Wonders: Planetfall), the latter of which being just recently announced, are, well, already announced. That, and some reasonable curiosity about Borderlands 3, but as mentioned they won't be there anyway.

Ghost of Tsushima looks neat, though, so thank you for bringing that to my attention as I had not seen it yet. Also Cyberpunk 2077, to a degree, but I had heard about it before.

4. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

new fallout game announced

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Rumor (and I use that phrase very loosely) is that it's a Rust clone. :< I hope not.

6. Agayek

There's been one good Fallout game in the last decade, and the folks involved in that aren't touching this one, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

7. Microwave

Microwave Professor

The last Fallout game came out pretty recently, I think I'd be more content if it was an Elder Scrolls game.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Same. I barely touched the last fallout. Oh well.

9. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I bought Fallout 4 when it first came out and I literally have 5 hours in the game.

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Screw you haters, I'm fucking EXCITED! Also ready to be slightly disappointed, but fuck it. You live once and all that.

You know what else I'm potentially excited for? They're showing the next update for No Man's Sky as well. Once again, I'm thankful for being easily amused. At this point, I'm just hoping that something else will be as fun as Path of Exile has been for some time now.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. Agayek

Now, admittedly, I'm predisposed to hating That One Ubisoft Game: Assassin's Creed Edition, but does that announcement trailer seem way too "try-hard-y", for lack of a better phrase, to anyone else?

It just feels like there's a less on-the-nose way to do it than a lazy reference to a 300 meme.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    You say that, but if I get to punt a Templar into a bottomless pit in that game, that's an instant buy, lol.

14. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

It looks about as good as I'd expect from a trailer thrown together in an afternoon after the game was leaked a week before they planned to announce it.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'm honestly pretty fucking hype about this. Speculation is that 76 was one of the control vaults, and it was opened 20 years after the bombs dropped. I imagine the wastes are a much different picture with this.

16. Agayek

Word of warning, before you get too hyped: It's not a "real" Fallout game, in the same vein as 3, New Vegas, and 4. It's an online survival game, ala RUST.

There hasn't been confirmation on that yet, but the news is coming from Schreier, who's basically never wrong when it comes to Bethesda leaks.

17. Zombie

Oh fuck, its an online game? Fuck that shit. Great, and here I was just joking the other day about Fallout: Battle Royale.

I thought at the very least it would be DLC for FO4 maybe. But dismissed that because of the time frame. Disappointing.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I won't deny I'm worried about the direction of Bethesda. I'm starting to lose faith in their ability to create games as opposed to being another EA.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    I doubt they're removing the RPG elements and I'd be surprised if there was no narrative. At that point, how different is it really? The online aspect? I'm sure if you're a Fallout fan, this will probably still be right up your alley.

20. Zombie

The thing that draws me to Fallout and TES is the open world aspect, but I don't need an online game to give me that. There are times on Skyrim where I just explored everything not related to the central quest, for hours.

Same goes for Fallout. I've got hundreds of hours in FO3, NV, FO4, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim. I kinda wish they would stick to the core of what makes those games good.

I mean I'll probably still play Fallout76 but if the intended format is a survival game -- I was never that interested in Rust.

Hopefully its like you said, and that its only an aspect of the game, but not necessarily a requirement of having a good time.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018