1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nuit, May 4, 2012.

1. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I'm superexcited about this. I desperately want an MMO that manages to feel alive and dynamic, and the potential for this to be it is there. Plus, it's the Elder Scrolls. The world is going to be incredible.

It will have to be the game itself to disappoint me and convince me not to play (anymore). I will ruthlessly ignore all the whiners and defeatists popping up all over the internet to tell me how the Elder Scrolls Online sucks/will suck.

So, a pre-emptive "Fuck you, I don't care" goes out to them. I'm set to enjoy the shit out of the wait and the game itself once it's released.

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm cautiously pessimistic about this. It's not what I wanted. I'm not excited about it. I'm disappointed that it's not TES VI.

But you know what? Despite all that, I'm going to play it, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it a hell of a lot. Saying anything else would just be petulance because I got a cookie when I hoped for cake.

I'm really eager to see how they address the class system. TES has some really interesting variations on the typical warrior/rogue/mage archetypes.

4. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Keeping an eye on it, would be interested in the game. At least to check it out.

5. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So if Skyrim has tought me anything, make a thief, and put all perks into stealth to win the game.

6. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Morrowind was worse-better than Skyrim for that in a lot of ways. Sure, there were no broken perks, but on the other hand, all the important stuff, like the legendary unique gear, was not leveled. Chrysamere was just as powerful when your character was level 1 as it was when you were at level 50. Loot was static. That meant that, with a good enough set of stealth skills and some decent luck with lockpicks, a canny thief could have full sets of endgame armor and weapons just a few hours after stepping off the ship. You could also, the the same luck, raid all of the vaults of the Great Houses, which were naturally dripping loot (though Telvanni was always the least attractive target for low-level powerthieving, on account of the Atronach and Daedra guardians).

7. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

8. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

9. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Signed up, nothing to lose really.
    Sincerely hope this will not turn out like Rift/GW2

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Signed up as well. As Sten said, nothing to lose.

I don't really have huge hopes for it though. Everything else gets so hyped, then falls flat. I genuinely want something fresh. Something a bit.... different.

Though I expect I will have to wait for Blizzard's new TITAN MMO for it.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Signed up immediately =p. I thought the trailed was pretty good. I'm kinda afraid how good a computer the game will require in a multiplayer setting. The graphics look like a mix between WoW and SWtOR, but you never know. Bethseda is known for their bugs and shoddy programming, so I imagine the early months will be hell.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

That fucking trailer. Unf. <3

It's wonderful to see the world of the Elder Scrolls realized in such a cinematic, cohesive movie. It really is.

That said, I signed up for the Beta. As others have said, there's really nothing to lose in signing up. I'm really looking forward to playing a Dunmer - the Tribunal's still alive and kicking during TES:O, or a member of the Dominion. There's really not enough lore about Valenwood and the Summerset Isles, not to mention Elsweyr.

13. Ashan

The strangest thing about the trailer though: We have an Altmer mage from the Aldmeri Dominion (typical), a Nord Warrior from the Ebonheart Pact (typical), and a... Breton Ninja/Assassin/??? from the Daggerfall Covenant. Breton... Ninja. Not quite how I'd have pictured their first major appearance, honestly.

14. Lutris

Well, it seems logical that they'd want to showcase a representative from 1) each of the factions, and 2) each of the major branches of combat (magic, sneaky stuff, and skull-bashing melee). Altmer and Nords are archetypal representations of the mage and warrior classes, which leaves the thief slot open for the Daggerfall Covenant to fill. Of their playable races, we have the Orsimer, Redguards, and Bretons, and of those, only the Bretons fit the bill for a thief build, at least from a lore standpoint.

But hey! His armor's bitchin'.

[​IMG]

15. Ashan

Or they could have had a Redguard Warrior (Daggerfall) and a Khajit (Ebonheart) assassin/thief. I completely agree with you on the armour though. I want it.

Side note: What're the odds those are actually pretty important characters in the game lore, you think?

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since when do all the Elder Scrolls races have to conform to stereotypes? Das racist yo. There's nothing stopping an able-bodied (well, very able-bodied in this case -- like Batman level) Breton from doing that sort of stuff any more than there is for an Imperial or Redguard.

17. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Can't wait! I noticed the bit about it being 1000 years before Skyrim...This pleases me. Now we may crush the Aldmeri Dominion before our Nord brothers and sisters have to feel their Elven wrath! Skyrim belongs to the Nords!

18. Lutris

Different Dominion. :p

Tiber Septim fucked up the first Aldmeri Dominion using the Numidium when he consolidated Tamriel under his rule. The current Dominion is its second incarnation, reformed in 4E26 after the Oblivion Crisis.

19. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Damn them and their trailer to the sixth circle of hell. As soon as I saw the shitty WoW-ripoff graphics and that it wasn't Bethesda themselves actually making it, I swore I'd have nothing whatsoever to do with this.

But holy fucking shit look at that trailer.

A part of me even knows that the trailer is itself an exercise in bullshit. It in no way depicts anything that will actually be possible to do in the game. Just look at the trailers for TOR or WoW, or literally any other MMO in existence.

But Jesus Christ look at that armor. The Thalmor armor is generic and meh and seen it before, but look at that Nord plate. LOOK AT IT. That is what a bear would make if you gave it ranks in Smithing. And I want to rub that Breton ninja armor all over my body. Why was that not the Nightingale Armor? Why was that not the Thalmor Inquisitor Armor? Why does that not exist yet?

Damn them all. Now a part of me actually has a tiny little flicker of hope. A hope I know will be extinguished when we see actual gameplay footage, but a tiny flicker nonetheless.

FUCK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE, ZENIMAX.

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Why doesn't whoever makes these kinds of trailers graduate to tv shows and movies. You know people would watch the shit out of it.