1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing confirmed as of yet but holy fuck. I've been waiting so hard for even a scrap of news about this.

So. Thoughts, theories, rumours?

2. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

"-quite far along in development."

Fuck yeah! :awesome:awesome:awesome

I hadn't heard a single rumor about Elder Scrolls V until this article was posted, thank you!

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Given how badly Bethesda has fucked up lately with Oblivion and Fallout 3, I have very low expectations.

4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Excited! However, I hope something is done about the combat. That was my sole really damaging complaint about Oblivion. Combat got very repetitive.

I'm a bit disappointed it's not in a new location, if V is indeed a sequel to IV. While Cyrodiil was a nice place, I'd like somewhere new too.

5. Seratin

High Score:
    I liked Oblivion. I loved Oblivion. For all its faults, that game was just beautiful. Finished it countless times.

6. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This. I hope it's not an MMO, I personally like single player RPGs, but goddamn I can't wait to hear more about this.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I heard they're retiring the Gamebryo engine. Fucking finally.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hm... I don't want to get my hopes up without confirmation. Source?

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

There ya go. Hopefully it's more than just Gamebryo Plus, now with more brown and bloom.

10. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I've got mixed feelings about this. My first exposure to the Elder Scrolls series was Morrowind, and I was pretty disappointed with the move to Oblivion. Sure the new engine was way prettier (although you can mod Morrowind to graphical excellence too) and various useless D&D holdovers were removed(non-regenerating mana, not hitting a guy with your 5 foot sword when he's standing a foot away from you, etc.) but the presentation drop - lore, world quality, originality - made me never able to sink into Oblivion like I could Morrowind.

Hopefully, in TES 5 Bethesda can bring back all the good things they dropped from Morrowind and keep the good stuff the introduced in Oblivion.

Finally and good riddance. What an awful, limiting engine. Its inability to handle more than 10 people on-screen at a time made the final "battle" of Oblivion hilarious. "Oh no, the daedra are invading! What shall we do against all five of them?"

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

BALLS

ARE

NO LONGER

INERT.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There's long been rumor that the next TES will be set in the Nordic homeland of Skyrim due to a bunch of Skyrim related trademark filings back in 2006. Bethesda have tended to trademark their properties about 3 years before release.

As for the game being a direct sequel, maybe. It's still worth considering that in October 2009, one of the (non-Bethesda approved) sales blurbs for the official Elder Scrolls Novel, The Infernal City, stated that the novel was set 45 years after Oblivion and was designed to bridge the gap to the next TES game which would be set 200 years after TES IV. The sales blurb was quickly removed.

The Infernal City is described as "A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis."

You want theories; I provide.

Skyrim, 200 years later, maybe MMO, maybe not.

edit: I don't think there's any evidence that it'll be MMO, except for the trend that everybody seems to be trying their hand at one, and there's certainly enough IP and money behind TES to develop one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I fucking loved Solstheim(Not that that's any different from what I felt about Morrowind in general), so if Skyrim is anything like that...

Bring it on.

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

id Tech 5 isn't good for "creating huge, open-world games"? We'll see whether or not that's bullshit when the awesome looking Rage comes out. Every time I play F3 and New Vegas, I'm imagining a fundamentally different game. I thought I was alone in that wish until I saw the Rage promo perfectly capture the game I wish I was playing.

Bethesda never used Gamebryo properly, imo. The whole deal with creating separate zones with loading pauses for external areas, internal areas, cities, etc. was rubbish. Risen uses a heavily modified Gamebryo engine, and its interiors, exteriors, towns, underworld tunnels and caverns, are all seamlessly integrated into one, open world.

You might be happy to know that Gamebryo went balls up last month. I'm crossing my fingers that it dies a miserable, lonely death.

We all know that Bethesda have a habit of releasing incredibly intricate RPGs of broad scope that're held together with spit and bubblegum. Bethesda are going to have their work cut out for them if they want to convince me to pre-order this game. I'll probably just wait for the GOTY to come out so that I can enjoy it without all of the engine bugs and broken quests that always plague the opening months of Bethesda's releases.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  15. Holocron

Holocron Squib

Finally, some news about the Elder Scrolls. Morrowind is an amazing game, and all things considered Oblivion isn't that bad. I just hope this new game is closer to Morrowind, with a detailed world and history instead of a stereotypical medieval forest. There was nothing exciting about Oblivion, even the Shivering Isles was mostly just Morrowind with better graphics. Even Solstheim had some good lore behind the snow and pine trees.

Good to hear they might be retiring Gamebryo too. It wasn't bad as an engine, and it worked well enough, but it's showing its age and should be thrown away. Fallout: New Vegas needed a better engine, in my opinion. As it was it was basically a Fallout 3 expansion pack.

Still, given how long it's been I'm glad to get any news on the series at all.

16. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This is something I have been waiting for since I beat the game the first time. I think about the sequel every time I play Oblivion.

17. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

18. Iztiak

Fuck. Yes.

19. Seratin

High Score:
    Ugh. I want this so hard. Like, to the point where if I could play this now or have sex with a fairly average looking chick. I'd choose this.

20. Iztiak

It's sad... But I agree. >_>

I just hope it's on the level of Morrowind, rather than Oblivion. Even though they were both fantastic.