1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dynamic levelling was confirmed a while ago for Skyrim. I think it was in the Game Informer article in early Jan. It's more like Fallout 3's scaling than Oblivion's.

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Hoo boy. I'm going to need me a new graphics card.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm going to need an entirely new computer x_X

But it looks like it'll be worth it...

4. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Just thought I'd share this. I thought it was kind of funny.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That was lulz and truth.

HarryPartridge's vids are a bit hit and miss with me. I loved his American Akira.

6. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

7. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dear god. What about replay value? If you play it for 300 hours it'll get boring...

8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

How many times would you plan to do the exact same thing and do all the same quests over again? I don't think that's 300 hours to just play through the main game, it's probably to play through it and do absolutely everything.

9. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fair enough. It jsuts doesn't seem like a very replayable game: more of a WoW kind of thing than a Dragon Age kind of thing.

10. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

I've only played Morrowind and Oblivion, but they were both still enjoyable through a number of replays. Plus, a few months after the release there will probably be a ton of mods out to add new content.

11. Styx0444

If it's anything like Morrowind or Oblivion then it'll be worth a couple replays. Theirs going to be at least four guilds you can join, along with the main quest... With everything else, on top of the mods, you'll probably be able to play through three or four times without seeing everything. Just from the different playing styles I know I'll have at least three.

12. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Really you make your own fun after you've competed what scripted content there is. Burning through scripted content isn't all that fun anyways, Oblivion really suffered in that regard, you could beat the main quest, all the factions and become Grand Champion theoretically at level one (You'd no doubt level a few times in the process). There was no real pacing, except that which was self imposed. Personally, I tended to get bored after a while of just wandering around, unique landscape mods fixed this for a while, my god people have modded in some beautiful stuff, but I had to force myself to take it slow lest I use up all the precious scripted content.

I don't really believe all the hype about the unique player experience with quests tailored to your character and actions, but I think it is a step in a good direction. From what I've read about the game so far, they are taking steps to make each dungeon a more unique experience.

Either way, some people find ways to enjoy even the non scripted content. I played and loved the shit out of Morrowind which had limited scripted content. Then again, I gave it to my friend to try out and he played for 30 minutes before giving up complaining he had no idea what to do.

What content Morrowind did have was pretty poor. It served its purpose, advance the story, force the player to explore the world etc etc, but so much of it boiled down to simple fetch, kill and talk quests.
    The only real difference between the quest dungeons and normal dungeons was that someone told you to go there.

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

You know, I've never really been interested in playing an Elder Scrolls game.

Until now. Come on November...

14. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Okay, I am seriously considering being a mage after seeing some of the stuff they have posted. Basically for magic you sacrifice a hand that cannot do anything besides the magic you have selected. Say you keep your sword in your right hand, you can do whatever you want with that as you normally would, in your left hand however you equip a fire spell.

Now from what I understand if you were to click the left trigger you would get a fireball, hold the trigger and you get a flamethrower. As you progress through the specializations you unlock more uses, I saw something from their previews about being able to make frost spell LANDMINES. If the power you get from that one hand isn't enough, double up your spells to increase their power and casting rate, charge up spells or possibly combine them. I've also heard some talk from the bethesda developers that mage on mage combat will actually involve the ability to parry and reflect spells back at each other, the ability to catch your opponents spells, add another element to them and return fire. In other words, no more mage slap fights, I have not found any info on the other magic talents so that is up in the air.

Stealth has been improved, guards no longer notice you right away. Instead they go into an aware state where they start actively looking for you instead of automatically attack. Also, guards no longer instantly know you do something illegal if there are no witnesses to report you. Guards in other towns will no longer know you have committed a crime so hiding out in other towns is now possible.

I like what I have seen so far. :)

15. Styx0444

Speaking of up in the air.... I really hope they bring levitation back. Just imagine that. Aerial mage fights. The only potential downside? The vast collateral damage that's bound to happen when you and another demi-god are throwing around the magical equivalent of a nuke. And with the new combat system? The second I get the construction set I'm going to make a spell that sends out blue fire, just so I can use Kamehameha.

Runic magic? Just imagine the traps, the fortress that could be your house. Kinda curious on how they'll handle summoning spells, though.

The only thing about this game I'm not fairly psyched about is the dragon shouts, and even that doesn't sound to bad. Let's cross out fingers and hope they don't fuck it up, yeah?

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  17. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

This. So much awesomeness is involved in those three words.

For some reason I see a dragon flying through and attempting to get involved which just leads to a whole nother level of epic. :D

Edit: Just found out they solved a problem that has been bugging me for years. I can now stab people in the face with my torch when it suits me!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  18. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

i'm actually looking forward to the dragon shouts. It seems kind of like if you closed Oblivion gates in the last game and they actually gave you good rewards for it. From what I understand, you don't need to kill all the dragons, but each one you do gives you a new ability.

Something I'm really hoping for is more one-of-a-kind enemies. In Oblivion they was that one thing in the mountains where you find a note on a dead body and go up the mountain and there is an invisible creature that's pretty strong up there. It wasn't a quest, but just a cool piece of lore. More of that would be really interesting.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  19. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Massively hyped for this now. Have been playing Oblivion a fair bit recently (had no internet for a week and very little else to do) and Skyrim looks like a big step forwards for the series. With a new computer which can actually run games without crashing because a blade of grass had to be rendered, this should be seriously enjoyable; even more so once the mods start appearing.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Definitely great news there.