1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Shadow (RE#5) by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    My latest offering, ladies and gentlemen:

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

“Now who’s letting people die in the streets?” I sighed. “Support me, publically. A show of united strength, a true alliance—the Knights Infernal against the Everlasting. Not Declan Hale against Jon Faraday.” I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “Jon, brother, I am looking for a reason not to kill you. Please give me one.”

Declan Hale has been possessed by his greatest enemy – Lord Oblivion of the Everlasting. He has lost control of his power, his body, and the Everlasting’s dark intent will tear him from True Earth, to star-strewn citadels, and into open war against his own people in Ascension City.

The Knights Infernal and their king, Jon Faraday, Declan’s half-brother, have never seen eye to eye. Now with Oblivion in control, the Shadowless Arbiter is unleashed against the Story Thread. Something else moves in the shadows, something born of god and man, and it does not have Declan’s best interests at heart.

The stakes are raised, the deck is stacked, and war, or something like it, is inevitable.

*~*~*~*

The story is urban fantasy, and for those of you who loved Wastelands of Time, you should really like this. Similar themes and plot devices (the Infernal Clock) make an appearance. I like to think Wastelands prepared me for this story.

GO BUY IT NOW FROM AMAZON!

Or if you'd like to start the series from the beginning, check out the first book here: Distant Star

Or the first three books in a boxset!

Seriously. Buy it now. I'm hoping to fleece you all of $4.99 and go clear the top shelf of scotch at my local liquor store.

However, seeing as how this is DLP, and you've all helped shape my writing over the years, I'm going to offer the story FREE to whoever wants it. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF of the story.

I only ask that you leave a review - an honest review - on Amazon, as that'll help me out immensely. So how about it? Kickass story in exchange for a review? Or buy it and support me that way.

Oh, and for those who'd rather have a paperback version - that's due to land early October!

2. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

For the second book in a row, I have plowed through it in a matter of hours.

I thought it was excellent. It expanded the world. Even better it was more similar to the first three than Lost Grace. Lost grace was different and good, but the change in format took some getting used to. This is a combination of the two styles to me and it works the best.

Story-wise, I enjoyed the banter between Oblivion and Declan. For all that he has seen and experienced, Oblivion continued to underestimate Declan and Declan is the wrong scotch loving son of a bitch to underestimate.

Joe
  3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    10 days till the next paycheck.

Joe
  4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    That is some fast and sexy, mate. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I'm setting up something long and epic here, probably another 7 books worth. Because 12 seems like a reasonable number of books. Heh.

I'll PDF it to ya, mate! That offer will always stand.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Damn it Joe. I've yet to get my first paycheck and already putting ideas in my head how to spend it all...

6. Ludwig

Ludwig Fourth Year

High Score:
    All right, I'll get the first book tomorrow morning.
    Few hours on a plane should be enough to read it. I'll get the rest when the plane lands!

7. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Goddammit, Joe. You're writing these faster than I can read them. At this pace you'll be done with the other seven before I finish this one. Go write some more Unfound Door so I can catch back up.

All joking aside, it is great to see you back in the saddle again.

8. Mugglewizard

Mugglewizard Seventh Year

@Joe I finished the story within a day of getting it. That should tell you something. My thoughts are still scattered so I will type in a brief review right now. May come back to rewrite it.

I loved the story and it felt like the original tone of the RE stories before Lost Grace. I hope you continue in this vein for the next ones.

I liked how the possession went and the eventual resolution. The kid was a joy to watch. I do wonder what the effect of this will be on the rest of the story thread and especially the Knights.

I am a bit concerned how Declan seems to be single minded in his mission to destroy the Everlasting without giving much thought to what the Everlasting are holding at bay. Especially since its something that the Everlasting themselves are not sure they can keep away. I would really hope he would at least look into the matter or even shares with the rest of his gang before he jumps of the frying pan and into the fire.

Where is Sophie in this story. Why did she just disappear?

One of the most off putting area in Lost Grace for me had been how Declan did not really delve into Saturnia and what it would mean for the Everlasting to have parents. This sort of continued here despite some exploration at the funeral. I am also not very convinced about him being the spear.

Looking forward to the next one.

Joe
  9. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I just read the summary for the first one, (I know i'm late to the party) but this looks exactly like what I want in a book. I'll be buying them soon!

Joe
  10. Blandge

Blandge Second Year DLP Supporter

So I'm almost halfway through Lost Grace, and I've just realized the tie in to The Remnant Lore. You clever bastard. Good stuff.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Joe