1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elementary

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

I concur. Holmes in the novels is an otherworldly character who is capable of things that no one else can.

2. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Mhm true that. While I had very little issue with
    Watson being Holmes apprentice, it does detract a bit from the uniqueness of what Holmes does. However I also get the point, it's an attempt to do away with the Watson-is-simply-a-follower thing, and expand Lucy Liu beyond the mere picture of female!Watson. Vinnie Jones was an awesome villain. The lady who played Moriarty was brilliant, but that entire arc was far too short to really appreciate the character. I want her back!

At ray243 - I really loved Da Vinci's Demons, but it takes no issues with onscreen full-frontal nudity (of both sexes), kinda like GoT. I finished the entire season 1 in a day - it has about eight episodes and ends with a dastardly cliffie. Season 2 starts sometime next year. Give it a go. Do you live in the US or anything? There's several free streaming sites I could recommend.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

Yeah, I agree Albus. But

There have been signs that Moriarty is still in play, she's sending letters to Sherlock, and as the one person whom is depicted as Sherlock's equal, she should probably be able to break out of jail if she was to so choose. I outright expect that to happen sometime in the near future in the show.

Where do you think is the best place to watch Da Vinci's Demons?

EDIT:

Also, Watson can be useful in many different ways other than just becoming Sherlock's apprentice, all that would be needed is a little bit of imagination in order to come up with a good idea that wouldn't have been expected. It was obvious that Joan was going to become his apprentice from the beginning, so not doing that would have made the series better, for me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

It really surprises me that anyone could think Elementary was a better Holmes adaptation than Sherlock, but to each their own. Personally, I thought Elementary was good, but it never really sold me on the whole concept. Holmes is probably the best part of the show and Miller really does a solid job of realizing his character, but I just don't feel invested in the other characters or the universe.

I'd probably rate it a 3/5 -- watchable, not bad, but overall just not really adding a lot to the Sherlock Holmes concept. It lacks the spark of life that turns a show into something more than just a timewaster, for me.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Johnny Lee Miller really does make the show. The level of acting is insane, especially to someone that can still remember watching Hackers as a kid (aside: love that movie).

6. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

So, I finished the first season, and just started the second.

To be honest, I am surprised there is so much comparing of BBC Sherlock and Elementary. Apples and Oranges. BBC Sherlock is far more character driven, and Elementary is far more about the mystery. The difference is even clear in their names and intros.

Sherlock's characters are all works of art (and not particularly realistic imo). Sherlock, Moriarty, Irene, Mary, Mycroft. They are all intensely themselves, if that makes any sense. They aren't even close to normal people, they are epitomes of the characteristics they are suppose to be, genius, insane criminal mastermind, seductress in love with Sherlock, perfect wife for Watson, also genius arrogant brother. There's no doubt that in terms of writing, acting and cinematography Sherlock is better, but at the same time, I enjoy Elementary more.

Elementary is about the cases. Character, and over-arching plot take a back seat. It is mostly about the mystery. The characters might get a couple minutes each episode to develop (if they're lucky) and it will be done far less artfully and humorously than in BBC Sherlock, but that's because Elementary isn't about the characters. (The characters are also more realistic, and thus less interesting.) The cases are more diverse, more numerous, and more intriguing in Elementary, because they are the focus, and for that reason, while I like both of the shows, I enjoy Elementary more.

TLDR: It really depends on what you value more, character or mystery. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, because they have totally different goals.

I shall come back, read the spoilers and post my thoughts about what has occurred after I finish season 2. I am disappointed it has less episodes than season 1, though. That was one of the things I liked about this show.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Season 2 is still running. I think it will also have 24 episodes.

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To me, Sherlock is this... mindblowing, amazing, dark chocolate, sugar spun, gold-foil covered three dimensional life-size sculpture of a fuckin cherry tree or something right down to the little leaves and shit. It has magnitude, it dazzles. The cinematography is gorgeous, the acting is phenomenal, blah blah blah.

Elementary is chicken soup. Really good chicken soup on a cold night under a goose down duvet on a nice couch. It doesn't have the sheer ~zoomSparkleWoshSparklezoom~ of sherlock, it doesn't rock me back with revelations of amazing depth... it's just great.

And at the end of the day, I'd rather have that.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, haven't posted here in a while...

Anyone else still watching this? I'm loving the addition of Sherlock's dad.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Still watching it, still digging the show.

11. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Still enjoying it. I think they've got a really strong cast and all of them get a decent amount of screen time. Whereas the BBC counterpart has Holmes and Watson and then dashes of other characters who seem underutilised to me. Obviously Elementary does have more time in comparison.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's still enjoyable, but I would appreciate the show a lot more if each season maintained some sort of overarching plot like they did in the first. Natalie Dormer is busy with GoT and movies, I get that, but I do sort of wish they'd come up with other ways to connect episodes beyond Moriarty.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    It's not the best, but after seeing how an overarching plot ruined Castle for me... I'd rather more of the same, lol.

14. Maphisto40

Maphisto40 First Year

High Score:
    I have been on the fence about watching this show since it was announced, but this thread has finally convinced me to start, since it's all on Hulu. I'm enjoying it so far.

15. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Castle need never have had an overaching plot though. In retrospect, it was almost pointless.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I choose to resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one.

I have spent the last week and the beginning of this one watching Elementary.

I watched from the first episode of the first season and right now I am on the seventh episode of the fourth season.

And I love this show. I love everything about it. Lucy Liu is awesome, so is Jonny Miller. I definitely prefer Miller as Sherlock Holmes than Benedict Cumberbatch.

At the beginning I was skeptical, due to the fact that the action happens in New York rather than in London, but it grew on me and now I'm a fan.

I am SO glad that there is no Sherlock/Watson romance, that would have been terrible.

5/5 would watch again. Probably will.

17. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Well I guess you got your wish. The overarching arc this season is basically about dad. And so far John Noble's portrayal of Morland Holmes has been pretty good and I think his storyline has been slowly getting more interesting.

One of my favorite things about Elementary as well. I hope it's something they never visit-- I think their current friendship is much more interesting and real.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Holmes is still pining over feMoriarty (tm), his secret penpal.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure that they said they would never put the two together in a relationship when people started questioning their choice to make Watson a girl. Hopefully they stay true to that.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    A small part of me actually wants Sherlock and Moriarty to become a thing, even if it's one sided.

Loved it in Luther. And screen time for Natalie Dormer is always nice.