1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Embers - Vathara - Avatar:TLA - AU - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Cappadocian, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Ripping the FLV out now. I'll put together the fight scenes and uplaod them to youtube so you can see it. Times were also an estimate, I didn't bother taking notes.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... I give up. You're too stupid to argue with. It's like trying to argue with my 7 year old bratty cousin who can't believe that she's ever wrong.

3. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Couldn't get my editor to chomp on the file right, so I took some snap shots with VLC.
    First, the first assault on the navy. Massive wave, the ships are nearly vertical, when a ship goes verticle it's almost impossible to avoid capsizing.

[​IMG]

Next Koizilla standing at the start of the bay where the fire nation fleet was.

[​IMG]

Next, shot of what was outside that bay.

[​IMG]

Seems like they were all either capsized and destroyed by a tidal wave, or pushed out and killed on the rocks.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to assume that things obey the same laws as our world in fiction unless stated otherwise. Nowhere is it stated that humans in Avatar are any different than humans here in reality, save for their ability to bend elements. So we're going to assume that they can't survive for long in Arctic-temperature waters.

Also, I do agree that Aang killed the Fire Nation soldiers at the end of the Siege of the North Pole. Well, technically Aang was under the influence of the Avatar State and "Koizilla", so he wasn't in complete control over his actions, but all the same. He had to have. There's no way that he could have done that amount of damage to the Fire Nation's forces and not killed anyone. They just didn't show it onscreen. Avatar has definitely implied offscreen death in other instances, and I don't see how this is any different.

As for the story... well, the idea of all this culture clash and expanding more on the duty of the Avatar, as well as the amount of influence that spirits have, is good, but the execution of it in the plot and the unnecessary or simply bad changes made to characterization have turned me off.

Makes me want a story that does those kinds of things right, though... or these ideas implemented into this new Avatar show they're doing.

5. eetragt

eetragt Third Year

Or perhaps it was meant to be a beautiful and poetic shot, and seeing a bunch of ships out in the water would have ruined it.

Aang doesn't kill. He didn't cry about that whole incident, so I have to assume no one died. Heck, he collapses when he hurts people seriously.

6. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Or perhaps it's a kids show, and showing the effects of war, bodies, rubble, and such would be a little above a TV-Y7 show.
    Aang's not there man, that's the 1000 or so previous avatars, and a vengeful god of the sea in control of that body. All of whom, I assume, would have relatively few qualms about killing.

7. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

Cappa, I like the story. I rated it 5/5 I enjoyed it so much.

And even I have to admit that the author reaches in his/her interpretation of canon events.

edit: Not that I believe the author is bashing Aang and Katara. On the contrary, I think the author does a wonderful job of making Katara in particular the most sympathetic character. That she does it while narrating the story from the view of Zuko is even more impressive.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  8. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Reaches, yes, I can see that, but to say, "No one fire nation dies at the north pole beyond Zhou," or to say that no ships were destroyed, suddenly makes the actions seem less... Meaningful? Why would the fire nation have not simply struck after being pushed out? After all, if their fleet was still intact and it's soldiers living. You could return and take the city in an hour with as many ship as the fire nation had.

Especially since the avatar, you know the only real threat left, was gone for the earth kingdom by 2 weeks later.

So instead you gain a more realistic backstory, by instead saying, yeah, the ships were wiped out, bar 6 or so freak survivors.

The thing is canon never specified whether any ships got destroyed, how many people were lost, what happened after it, or really any of the consequences to it, what so ever, for either side.

You basically get a, "Yeah, we've suffered a great loss, we're going to connect with our other tribes try and re-group and get a good population level again. Now be on your way, you need to pick up mad skillz at earth. I'll see you all at the finale, which is the only other place in the plot I will be relevant in."

Completely disregarding the fact that, if the fleet had survived they would still be under siege. It makes more sense plot wise to destroy most of it, otherwise you create even more plot holes to nitpick.

9. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The difference there being that Harry in The Lie I've Lived is Harry Potter, with James Potter's mind too. There's an actual reason that the character changed from canon. The same goes for Shezza and the denarian trilogy it's not just Harry Potter, who decided to have a different personality. It's Harry Potter, who killed his family because of a fallen angel, and was then raised by aforementioned ancient evil. Out Of Character-ness is explained as a result of the story's divergence from canon. In this one, it's not. Aang in this story was canon!Aang up until the start of this story, then woke up one day with a new personality without anyone calling him on it.

Sorry if Sree or someone else brought this up already, but I didn't bother reading through the rest of the crap posted here. Are you sure you're not the author, because you seem to be really emotionally invested in this thing.

10. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

^This really. Embers is (in my opinion) a realistic look at how events should have happened. 40 foot waves don't push ships. They capsize them. Katara's behavior in Embers is about how i would expect her to act if she was a real 14 year old in her situation.

But making them 'more realistic' is not canon. Embers makes changes to events and characters and behaviors. The problem is that it calls everything an extension of canon rather than the alternate Universe it is. And it does so with no shown event to cause changes.

I like it tho.

11. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Why does my name keeping popping up in this thread?

Cappadocian- I have to ask, are you the writer of the story- which is listed Vathara- because the way you're rabidily defending it says that you seem to have some kind of personal investment in it.

Long story short- some people like it, many people don't like it. I didn't much like it either, although there's only a few Avatar:TLA stories that I do like.

12. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Because, you AU the universe of Harry Potter on the same level Vathara is doing to Avatar. And your series is of a similar length.

No, I just really like to argue. It's just kinda who I am, I've quite literally given strangers the shoes on my feet and the shirt off my back, but I'd still argue with them incessantly over seemingly inane or impersonal things.
    Care to name them? From what I've seen you have good taste.

13. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Ah, I read them so long ago that I honestly can't remember them. One of them was about Azula, the other was more Toph-centric (Toph, btw, is the best character in Avatar- and if you disagree with me I'll call in mah contacts and punish you)

Nah, that's fair enough them. Argue away, I suppose.

14. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Toph and Ty-Lee are my favorite characters.
    Thank you for your acceptance, and for not taking offense. :cheers:

15. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Aang doesn't kill people. He wouldn't even kill the Fire Lord even when everyone around him was expecting him too.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aang doesn't kill people, but the Avatar state holds no compunctions about it. Hell, the other Avatars themselves were perfectly willing to kill if need be, though we didn't meet the previous Air Avatar so I suppose that may be slightly biased in favour of different cultures.

17. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

We did meet another Avatar Air Bender, and she told Aang that he should put aside his feelings in the matter and just kill the bastard.

18. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

No. The only reason the Fire Nation even had a chance to win was that Zhao went and killed the Moon Spirit, which ended up neutralizing the power of the waterbenders. There was no way the FN could have done that again (Yue became the Moon Spirit and didn't take on a physical, destroyable form).

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My mistake, didn't remember that part. My point still stands though.

20. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Remember the last scene, they suffered great losses in the invasion, to the point where they are willing to reconnect with the people they exiled. While if FN had nearly no losses, they'd still have upwards of a thousand benders, and thousands of troops. Not only that, but the fortifications around the city were destroyed/breached, leaving them even more vulnerable. Really the fire nation could have come back at any time had heir fleet been around. And lets not forget the only reason the water nation managed to fight so well, was the avatar, and the full moon.

Also fishy-moon was back swimming at the end.