1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Emperor by Marquis Black - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by silverlasso, May 17, 2010.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

True, but you do need interesting and compelling characters with depth. Something this story unfortunately lacks.

2. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

This, definitely. It's understandable that he can't fully flesh out every original character as there is so damn many of them, but even the relatively important ones are very forgettable.

In the latest chapter I thought it was even more noticeable how AU this story is when Sirius and James were talking. Sirius is actually downright unrecognizable as a character. I still enjoy the story, but it most certainly has flaws.

3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I agree with Gio. At this point, I'm reading solely for the military plot. I don't care at all about any of these characters; well, MAYBE Josefina to a degree, but barely if at all.

EDIT: In retrospect, a less than worthy post for my #700....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  4. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

New chapter up.

I do not care for scheming Weasley's, hopefully Harry will put her in her place soon, she's starting to annoy me.

5. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

The whole chapter was kind of annoying. Completely unrealistic bs aside, it just felt off.

6. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I think in terms of writing and plot. The story is fantastic. It really gripped me when I first came upon it, and held on till I'd read every available chapter.

My problem is the same thing that just about everyone else has said. I don't care about any of the OC characters. And the 'canon' characters are often not similar enough to themselves to make me care about them, either.

If deep characterization and interaction are your thing, this story isn't really for you.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

8. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I really liked the story, and I'm still interested in the plot, but there's very little character development and I'm not intrigued by any of these characters.

9. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

There also isn't much magic. It's all Muggles fighting Muggles.

10. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

And to hell with the OC sister. At least we had some interactions with Will over the chapters, but another one?

Better of in Canada, me thinks.

11. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Another chapter is ip. I've noticed it a few days ago but am yet to read it.

Just thoght you guys might want to know.

12. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uh, just necro-ing to say that this fic has updated a whole shitload since the last post, and I like it. There are a few cliches like the Fullmetal Alchemist expies (and recently, references to Halo), but they're not teeth-grinding, and have actually managed to be tasteful in a few spare instances.

Moreover, the politics and expansion aspect has been done extremely well. Not to mention the timely and lengthy updates. 5/5, would support imperialist Potter hegemony.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I really like this story; it's big, grand, and yet still keeps you interesting in the individual people involved. That said, I think it's held back by being a HP fanfiction; should have just been spun off into an original work

14. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

Just read through some of the newer chapters. It's not bad. I'm not completely getting where Russia is becoming a bastion of freedom for its own people, but ok.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not; that's just the propaganda they're putting out there. You're supposed to read between the lines and see that while they're saying one thing, they've also just used their magical military to wipe an enemy off the map.

16. Morde

Morde Second Year

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

18. Hazard

Hazard Muggle

It's been updated 7 times since the last post.
    I really like the politics in this story, the characters, not so much. It feels like they were just thrown in there. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5904185/35/Emperor
    I think that the writing is really improving and I want to see if you guys like it.

19. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

@Hazard: I liked the story at the beginning, b/c its the classic 'one man against the world' scenario. But now I have to force myself to read the chapters, especially when they have nothing to do with magic of HP. I mean, the author might as well stick a pseudo-Halo sticker on it and be done with.

Genetic engineered soldiers, semi-sentient A.I.s, runic powered magnetic accelerator cannon. I mean common on, if it weren't for the runic part I can't even see the HP angle of story. On top of it, we have so limited interaction with the central character in the last few chapters, I honestly thought the author was going to change the character tags.

Anyway, enough of my rant. Bottom line: author's trying to hard to make an epic story. 3/5 at best for me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I tried to get into the story at the beginning, I really did.

The problem is that I just went on this holocaust tour in Europe, and I really, really just wanted someone to kill Harry. I mean seriously, his parents were whiny little bitches who couldn't stand publicity, and due to that managed to get their son to kill millions of people.

I'm not a huge fan. To the point where I just couldn't sympathize with Harry at all.