1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Empire's Son by blank 101 - Star Wars - T

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Skeletaure, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Empire's Son
    Author: Blank101
    Rating: T
    Fandom: Star Wars
    Genre: AU
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 378,343
    Updated: July 20, 2012
    Published: February 11, 2011

Summary: Dark AU. In the chaos of conflict, two children are smuggled to safety to keep them safe from a Sith Emperor's attention. It will not be enough. Their lives take very different paths, one raised as the Alliance's New Hope, the other as the Empire's Son.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6734329/1/Empires_Son

The latest offering by blank101, the author of quite possibly the greatest Star Wars fanfiction ever - the Son of Suns trilogy. He's now started posting this new story - a stand alone novel - but back in November 2010 he wrote on TheForce.Net boards that he was up to chapter 10, so I suspect there's a bit more than that already written. On top of that, blank101 has shown great reliability as an author in terms of both quality and update rate.

His one failing, perhaps, is to stretch the plot on for too long. But the resolution is always satisfying.

The author started a sequel:

Title: Empire's Son II
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 83,158
    Updated: March 4, 2016
    Published: Oct 3, 2015
    Summary: Sequel to Empire's Son. As Palpatine's Empire crumbles, Luke retreats to a grim self-imposed anonymity in the galaxy's Rim planets. But he cannot outrun his past, and Imperials and Rebels alike are searching for the last Sith, their motives very different.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11540131/11/Empire-s-Son-II

Edit by Minion, March 5, 2016
    Added the sequel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Hands down the best star wars writer. The scene where Luke got free of the Ysal-whatever and disintegrated those guys? Amazing imagery. Definitely going to read this.

3. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Amazing Star Wars writer; his previous fics are pretty much the gold standard out there, but there isn't much posted yet. I firmly believe this will be library worthy, but until I get at least three chapters, I won't put down 4/5 or 5/5 rating. It looks good so far, despite only having one massive chapter out yet.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Blank101 is a fantastic author, and this is shaping up to be another great story.

My one complaint with this story [and everything that Blank101 writes], is that the pacing is way too slow for my tastes. Everything else though... the plot, the characters, the writing, the conflicts, the action scenes, the drama, is wrapped up in a technically perfect piece of writing. It's great to read.

This time, Blank101 is including a new piece of artwork to illustrate every chapter. His skill with a pencil is amazing. No one is allowed to be that talented.

5. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I concur with your assessment - he is a possible alien living in secret among us.

6. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I don't typically read Star Wars fanfiction, but this is fantastic. I eagerly await the next chapter; I'm wondering what's happening with Leia, though. Time to check out Blank101's other stories. :3

7. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Two weeks have gone, it's Friday; New Update!

I like how this story is similar, yet different from the Son of the Suns trilogy.

Finally we get some insight into Luke's unique position and his role in the Empire, which is much lower than I anticipated. Palpatine is even more petty and malicious, while Vader is blind and angry. Also Luke's ties to the Emperor are much stronger and more pronounced than in SotS and it can (with Blank's fine writing) form a very nice conflict in the future.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where are you reading the new chapter? I can't see it on FF.net. Doesn't show up if I edit the URL to try to access chapter 4 either.

9. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Ash
  10. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

It was a pretty good chapter, though I'm starting to become impatient for it to really pick up. Thanks for the heads up on the new chapter, gbbz!

11. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I like this Luke, he's exactly as you would expect someone raised under Palpatine's wing most his life to be. I was worried he would be a bit too much like SoS Luke but I see I shouldn't have bothered,the differences are subtle yet there.

The thing I loved most (as of this moment) is Luke's description of the Death Star.We always see it as this bad-ass unstoppable WMD so it's good that someone highlighted all the things that could go wrong with a project like that. After all, we saw the skeleton getting built in Episode 3 yet it took them nearly two decades to finish it, now we see why.

Also, what the fuck is it with the stylus'? I feel like I should know, or it's been mentioned but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Surely he's not killing people with them... is he?

But I find his position perfect. For now Palpatine would want to keep him a dark horse for now until he's ready to engineer a meteoric rise for him and put him to good use. What better place than where he is now? IIRC they're the fucking big boys of the Intelligence community they have carte blanche to do as they want, where better for a fledgeling Sith to be placed? Where would he be more useful?

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I just read chapter 5. It has its dark moments, but at the end it became strangely uplifting. I left it with a bit of an emotional high. Blank101 knows how to write his characters.

13. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Blank 101 has done it again.

5/5.

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Palpatine doesn't want him drawing--I would guess it has something to do with allowing Luke to have creative outlets/ something that makes him happy.

15. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

Updated!

Will review after reading.

16. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

It's all buildup so far. While that's fun, I'm still waiting for the real plot to start.

5/5

17. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

This is great. Only little bit I don't like that much is how sometimes passages resemble passages from the Son of Suns trilogy almost completely. Which isn't that surprising seeing that Palpatine's emotions towards Luke are more or less the same (joy at seeing Anakin's potential once again; frustration at not experiencing that power himself; excitement at controlling him), but reading that all over again can be a little tiring.

4,5/5

18. gbbz

gbbz Professor

First lightsaber duel. Yay!!!

Vader makes an appearance. Nice background and further development.

Even slow paced as it is, it still rocks.

19. gbbz

gbbz Professor

After the previous 'stylus' chapter, this one specifies the plot. Check it out.

Luke is using spice so to dampen his force powers and in consequence not anger Palpatine. CHEESE!!! Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's a cheap way out of the drug-abusing Luke arc. The author can do better. But still, it can form firm foundation for future interaction with Leia and the rebels. So the story's still awesome

20. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

It's been updated.

And it's really, really starting to heat up. It was an amazing chapter. Luke and Leia finally meet.