1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Empire's Son by blank 101 - Star Wars - T

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Skeletaure, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Torak

Torak Death Eater

One Luke and Han are much younger here than in Son of Suns. Two Luke doesn't even have his canon background in this fic nor does Han as well. and three yes you are.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Son of Suns covered a very long timeline, so their ages in reference to Son of Suns is almost pointless. The only thing I would say influences it is Han hasn't become a smuggler yet, so he's a bit more loyal to the Empire than otherwise.

I hadn't realized that Luke and Han had different backgrounds, thanks for clarifying. :facepalm

3. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

IMO, it's Palpatine who doesn't feel right. He went from a magnificent bastard who was just a little too insecure about his power in SoS to a complete fucking jealous maniac.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

He's always been a jealous maniac. He's more jealous in regard to Luke than he ever was of Anakin because he completely owns Luke - Anakin was first a Jedi, and a full adult when he fell, and then half broken after his fight with Obi-wan - in essence, a broken toy.

Luke is a toy he has crafted all his own from a very young age.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find Blank's writing to be unbearably frustrating if you have to read it in instalments. Everything is so stretched out, slow paced and incremental that it drives you mad if you get it in bits. Especially when shit goes down. It can make you rage at the page if you can't speed-read through to the conclusion.

This was true of SoS (especially part three, the massively over-long and drawn out captivity sub-plot that turned out to be the main plot), and it's true of Empire's Son. After around chapter 3 I decided to wait until the whole thing was done before I read it, like I ended up doing with SoS pt.3.

6. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

A very good idea. I was hoping he'd be on the death star by the end of the chapter, but there's so much exposition and 'incluing'... you hit the nail right on the head with SoS. There were walls of page dedicated to re-examining a feeling or emotion already examined in various chapters before it.

That said, I still love this, and his other fanfics.

7. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

double, but, whatever...

Latest chapter was very disappointing. Pretty much just filler.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I generally enjoy his writing style, despite the fact it's pretty long and drawn out. I usually dislike walls of text with very little occurring, but I think the fact it focuses a lot on emotions and thought processes makes it interesting.

But I do think the characterizations so far are nothing special in Empire's Son when compared to the brilliant characters he had in SoS.

Han just feels way a bit too overboard in his caring for Luke. The Emperor doesn't feel subtle enough in his manipulations. Luke is probably the only real 3 dimensional character, and he's pretty much just an angry teenager.

Still, the first few chapters I wasn't getting into it, but it's starting to move forward. This could still be pretty interesting.

Seriously? The whole infiltration of the Death Star and all, fight between Obi-Wan and Vader, and it's just a filler? For Luke and Han maybe...but this was an action packed chapter. o_O

yak
  9. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

New chapter, Death Star arc looks like it'll last 1-2 chapters more, new plot thread started which looks quite promising. Hopefully the next update will be just as fast.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Good chapter. This fic is really picking up.

Though I felt Luke came across as a bit *too* on top of things here - finding the thermal exhaust port weakness, generally just bagging the shit through Vader and Tarkin. Or rather, I expected Vader to be a bit more hostile. Especially after failing to kill Kenobi. Vader's correction of 'dirt farmers' to 'moisture farmers' felt a bit out of character as well.

Still, I like how his whole drawing-what-other-people-are-remembering hobby has actually come to a fairly large plot point - the whole pod race from Vader's head. I'm sure he'll find "Anakin Skywalker" and associate that to "Leia Skywalker", then try to use that to kill them both...until he realizes who he really is.

yak
  11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

That's what I'm all about baby. Luke and Han. Maybe I've read too many Star Wars fic featuring that scene... it equates to the Wave Arc in my book. Generally uninteresting.

12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Empire's Son just updated - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6734329/18/Empires_Son

Overall, it's fucking fantastic. We finally get to the Death Star battle, and then the aftermath promises some interesting stuff for the next chapter.

I wonder how Luke is going to get out of becoming lightning fried steak...also, Leia is going to meet up with Luke! Can't fucking wait. Obviously Luke isn't going to defect and become a Rebel, but I really am curious as to what exactly their meeting is going to be like.

13. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

This fic is really heating up now, interesting take on the battle and the fallout promises some epic drama.
    Although I have to wonder at Obi-Wan's and Mon's motivations for keeping this secret, they didn' have any problems with telling Leia who her father is and the possibility that she might one day have to fight him. Why are they suddenly having second thoughts about telling her she has a brother who doesn't appear to be as hopeless a case as Vader?

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

In canon, the reason was to keep them both hidden and keep Leia as a 'backup option' in a way.

In this case, I imagine the reason is more to do with preventing Leia from becoming distracted and going after Luke. They probably told her about her father because they were worried about the consequences if Vader broke the news to her himself (As we saw on Bespin in canon).

Still though, it does seem a bit weak that they told her about Vader and not Luke.

15. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Small update, business as usual.
    Luke sulks after getting punished and Han yells at everybody for not helping Luke and standing up to Palpatine, only thing of interest was Leia arriving on Coruscant and preparing to contact Luke.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Filler chapter. Very short compared to the previous ones.

Oh well, at least this author updates somewhat regularly.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

New chap.

Compared to the last one, this one was really long and full of content.

Loved the interaction between Luke and Leia, and Han and Leia. Is it just me or did it feel Luke's heart isn't really into revenge against Kenobi anymore? I mean, he manipulated Leia in an attempt to try to get the meeting, but just thinking about the old man doesn't seem to be enough to put Luke into a bloodthirsty mode like in previous chapters.

18. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

I think this is just one more instance where Han's presence is influencing Luke's thinking and attitude. I'm quite excited and interested to see where this is going.

19. yourself196

yourself196 Squib DLP Supporter

Updated today.

20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Another good one. We're definitely building up to a major turning point in the story.

I'm a bit surprised the Emperor hasn't mindraped Han yet to get all of Luke's secrets. I mean, I know he's letting Han stay alive as a test, but you'd still think he'd use him for information.

Though I guess that would in a way, still be 'killing' Han - that is, getting rid of Luke's confidant.