1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Equally Cursed and Blessed - Mina - K+ - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by mknote, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Title: Equally Cursed and Blessed
    Author: Mina
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Angst [?]
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 42
    Words: 149,511
    Updated: May 12, 2008
    Published: June 18, 2005
    Summary: Luke Skywalker, battered and bruised after his collision with destiny on Bespin, is called upon by the Alliance for a desperate rescue mission that goes horribly wrong. There's only one person who can save him: his father. Shameless Luke & Vader.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2489889/1/Equally-Cursed-and-Blessed

As I've said before, I've been meaning to post a few Star Wars fics for a while now, and I though I'd post the second on my list.

I quite enjoy this fic. It isn't a great fic; the plot is sometimes convoluted and the writing can be bland. It is enjoyable, however, and though I'm not entirely sure it'll make it into the library, I thought I'd post it for people to take a look at anyway. I'd personally give it a 3.5, which I'll round up to 4/5. If nothing else, it's an enjoyable afternoon read.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

No one else? No Star Wars fans aboard? Please read and review / rate.

I'll give it another week before I move it.

3. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

From what I saw in the 10 chapters I could force myself to read, this fic is straight Hurt/Comfort/Angst. Like most of its kind, it suffers from just not being able to make me care about the protagonist. From the very first chapter Luke Skywalker is presented as an insecure, whiny, and overall weak character. I can stomach some wangst if its part of a meaningful character arc, but Hurt/comfort authors such as Mina1 seem to prefer character lines, with y = stupidity-driven angst. Bottom line, I have every confidence that the thirty-odd chapters I didn't bother reading are as full of an OC named Luke Skywalker mewling piteously at the feet of another OC named Darth Vader, who's angrily thinking that no-one but him gets to hurt his son, as those I did.

1.5/5 rounded down to 1/5, because no story who butchers Darth Vader this badly deserves to be rounded up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I read it a few years ago, and just reread it now.

The whole Luke/Vader concept is one that is usually pretty poorly executed, and this is a great example of one.

As Nefar said, Luke is like some Damsel in Distress who gets saved by Daddy Sith. And he isn't even a child here - he's Commander Skywalker of the Rebellion. And then he simply accepts Vader as his father so easily. And Vader equally accepts that Luke shouldn't touch the Dark Side just as quickly.

The Rebellion is all too accepting of Luke's relationship to Vader. Leia is all too accepting of *her* relationship to Vader (when she finds out). The only ones who aren't are Xizor and Palpatine.

Overall, it's just a cheesy guilty pleasure and nothing more. As most of these fics tend to be (with a few exceptions).

2/5.