1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by LT2000, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

So, I haven't made a topic around here in God knows how long. We kinda need a general manga discussion thread for manga that's not shit like Naruto and Bleach. So I'm making one. Spoilers for manga of all kinds will be abounds and expected, so do check around for updates before you read the posts.

And starting off...

Trinity Seven 23

Have to say, not a huge fan of the end development. I really don't want to see Arata turn into Issei 2.0, utterly useless on his own merits and owing all his potential to 'that other thing.'

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Aaaaaand thread reopened.

General discussion should be kept here, and out of the recommendation thread.

hgf
  4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

K then, crossposting from the other thread...

Beelzebub 190

Hoo boy, this has the potential to get retarded bad really fast. I don't take Beelzebub too seriously as a rule, but am I even non-seriously supposed to buy these random high school freshmen being more powerful than the warrior demons that Oga and co. have already defeated? The lot of them had better be A) demon contractors or B) getting wiped out next chapter or this series might have just jumped the shark.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Agreed. If they really are regular high schoolers then it's just gonna kill my interest; I don't want the manga to cross the line from "silly and funny" to "stupid as hell".

6. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That's the same pitfall almost every Shounen manga fall to. One of the reasons why I stopped following Reborn after Byakuya arch, or Bleach after Aizen arch.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

You too? Well, I made it through most of the following arc but I didn't have much interest; the future arc felt like it should have been the climax of the series.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Honestly, with Beelzebub, I've felt like Tamura has just been aimlessly flailing about ever since the end of the Demon High School arc. I've kept reading because the series is always funny as Hell and because Oga is probably my favorite manga protagonist (only Kasuga Arata from Trinity Seven really comes close). Still, it's time for the plot to pick back up and go somewhere. Perhaps this new arc will be it, but if so I'm not even sure I want to board the train. These next couple updates will be telling.

9. oakes

By the way did anybody read All-rounder Meguru? This too is a Martial Arts Manga, but with the focus on MMA. I've read about 20+ chapters,... Maybe I've been spoiled by Holyland and Shamo.

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I read Holyland and The Breaker recently.Both were fucking awesome. Going through the recommendation thread slowly now.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yup yup. Everyone knows that Bleach went shit 'round the end of the Aizen arc. Also, I originally dropped Reborn soon after the future arc started - god, it was stupid. I did pick it up eventually, but the new power system introduced in the future, the rings and boxes, just transformed the series into something I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

12. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Rosario+Vampire Season II 60

Tsukune, winning arcs like a boss. That battle was a lot more one-sided than I expected it to be. Also, the seemingly once inevitable harem ending now looks a lot less likely, but I'm alright with that. Apparently the series is going to be on break next month though, which sucks.

13. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

14. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Yeah, wow. How hard must he have hit that bitch at the end there?

Tsukune's absolute focus on Moka drives me up the wall. This manga needs a goddamn harem ending!

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Eh, I just don't want Kurumu to be left out. Because it might, you know, literally kill her. The rest of the harem I don't care all that much about at this point, and several of them have more or less acknowledged that they can't win. But there won't be a harem IMO. This arc has pretty much sealed Moka's victory.

16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'm mainly for Kurumu and Mizore. Given their comments back during the training, it feels like they're gonna be with him regardless of what happens. At least I hope they're not gonna back down on that. Yukari and Ruby (and Kokoa?) can go do whatever, I don't really care.

Next up, The Breaker: New Waves 103 where Shioon continues to rampage and quite soundly breaks a bitch.

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I like Kurumu a lot, and would have picked her if I had to choose just one girl for Tsukune to end up with. And it looked like she was gaining ground on Moka prior to the Fairy Tale arc. At this point, she and Moka are about even for me now that Inner Moka has accepted her feelings.

Mizore I found creepy more than anything else with the constant stalking (not that she is anywhere near alone in always being around to cockblock any moment Tsukune gets with another girl). Not so much now, but she's pretty much openly said that she won't win but intends to hang around regardless of that. So...eh.

Yukari is just the token loli and I'm not into that. Ruby came along too late and never had a chance to begin with. And Kokoa doesn't even like Tsukune.

And I need to sit down and read Breaker sometime.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How do you guys feel about the end of Cage of Eden? I really loved the manga, even if it was a bit heavy on fanservice and rapist males and I found the mystery feeling to be handled very well.

But the last ten or so chapters in which it suddenly, for no real reason wrapped everything up, left most of the mysteries unsolved and basically made everything make less sense was extremely crappy. Don't know why it happened, think the author was forced to cancel it (not sure though) but the way it ended, sequel might be possible, in which the author can still address all of the issues.

So yeah, great manga, shitty end.

19. oakes

I agree, while they explained the origins of the island, I still don't get how they came to be there. Maybe they all were clones, but that still doesn't explain where the plane is...

20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I saw the first few eps of the Rosario+Vampire anime and couldn't get into it. Is the manga that much different, or does it take a while for the plot to take off?