1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Exile by bennybear - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Exile
    Author: bennybear
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 42
    Words: 162,398
    Published: Oct 28, 2010
    Updated: Oct 25, 2015
    Library Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Link: Link
    Summary: After the war, Draco is saved by his late grandfather's foresight. With his unanswered questions outnumbering the stars in the sky, he struggles to come to terms with reality. Will he fail yet again? Canon compliant.

The story of what happened to Draco Malfoy after the war. It mainly deals with Draco trying to heal from his scars of the last two years and his struggles to make a life for himself in the post-War world.

The writing is pretty good. The prose has an immersive quality to it that makes the normally dull events of everyday life interesting. Draco's characterization is in line with canon -- there is no whitewashing or "Draco in Leather Pants" in this. Other characterizations are good too, and I like the way the author portrays Draco's relationship with his mother.

It is not the most exciting story, nor will it be for everybody -- it is character driven rather than plot driven, it doesn't have a lot of magic, it has a fair amount of angst and, of course, it is about Draco Malfoy. Nevertheless, for my part I found it a rather engrossing read.

Edit by Minion, Nov. 29, 2015:
    As this is one of the very few cases where I assume that it has been deliberately downrated after I bumped it, I'll move this story based on the reviews below, into the library rather than almost recommend.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

I... am astonished, that this got five votes with four stars, but not even one review.

I'll move it next Sunday based on the votes, but plz ppl r&r ... but it would be nice to have some reviews as well.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is quite enjoyable, despite being draco centric. I didn't notice any mistakes in spelling or grammar.

I'm up to chapter 4 so far.4/5 in my opinion.

I'll edit this post when I am in a less zom is state with a real review.

4. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

What I liked most about this story is that it doesn't make excuses for Draco like so many other stories in the fandom. He's not secretely some misunderstood bleeding-heart underneath a prickly exterior. He's just what he was in canon: A coward whose behaviour conformed to the environment/ideals of the culture/people who raised him. Having lived through the horrific extremes to which such ideals ultimately lead, he finds himself unable to continue with the status quo in which he was raised, and he runs. He keeps running and along the way stumbles upon character building situations and people who teach him, and ultimately growing and improving as a human being, however incrementally, quite by accident (at least at first).

On the other hand, what I dislike most about this fic, is that the main character is a coward, and this means the story treads water over the conflicts/plots of the story since the protagonist ultimately continues to avoid dealing with his issues as best he can. While realistic, it can be a frustrating experience.

I'm interested to see where this goes as Draco slowly gains more and more agency in his life, and hopefully discovers more about what was up with his Grandfather.