1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fair Vote by Nick Chiseler - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by kostigan, Apr 21, 2013.

1. kostigan

kostigan Temporarily Banhammered

Somewhere in the mountains of the Balkan peninsula
    Title: Fair Vote
    Author: Nick Chiseler
    Rating: T
    Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
    Words: 110,678
    Pairing: None
    Fandom: Dresden Files
    Link:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7258374/1/Fair-Vote

Author's Summary: This novel isn't about Dresden. It's about an apprentice, George Saga, who in the process of disentangling himself from a star-crossed selkie ends up lost within the dark alleys of Miami politics. With a twist of demon.
    .......................................................................................................

Since English is not my first language, I'm usually content to just lurk around and read whatever you guys think is good, but this time I have to make an exception. This story has it all, fun Jim Butcher's style writing, great characterization, good action, plot, pacing etc. and definitely deserves a place in DLP library. Protagonist is no Harry, but they share many traits and you'll like him instantly. Few characters from the original will make an appearance, but they don't have significant role. The strongest point of this story IMO is that it adds a bunch of new things that could easily fit into Dresdenverse. Just give it a shoot, you'll be hooked up from the first chapter.

5/5

2. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I blitzed this last night. Wasn't all that bad actually. It definitely gets better over time though. I found the start to be only compelling in terms of the protagonist. I never really grew attached to the supporting characters and was still getting a few of them confused later on.

I'd give this maybe a 3.5/5 or 4/5. I enjoyed the dramatically Easternized look at magic and George proved to be resourceful and simultaneously endearingly incompetent. I feel like the set up was probably the weakest part of this whole shebang. But it really came into its own nicely.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

A nice take on the Dresden verse from another person's PoV. Never read all of it, though. I really should at some point.

4. ronin11

ronin11 First Year