1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fake Nostalgia - Talk about the (non-existent) SNES Harry Potter RPG here

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by abcd_z, Jan 11, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Way back when I was a kid, a company called Bethesda created an SNES RPG. Its official name is "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry", but it's commonly referred to as the Harry Potter games, named after its main protagonist. (Screenshot)

There was a book adaptation of the first two years, but they weren't really popular. That's not surprising, though. The game had about 8 possible questlines for each one of Harry's years at Hogwarts, and each book could only follow one of them. Book 1 mostly followed the Philosopher's Stone main quest and book 2 followed the Chamber of Secrets main quest. I think they also threw in some elements from other questlines, such as Draco challenging Harry to a Wizard's Duel from the Tower of Agamemnon main quest. I remember reading that bit as a kid and being so frustrated when they never found the clue that would have led them to Hogwarts' hidden treasury.

There were some rumors that a third and fourth book were scheduled to be created, but the publishing company (Scholastic) folded before any more books could be made.

Anyhow, I was poking through my attic the other day and came across several of my old Harry Potter books, and that got me thinking about the game again. So I decided to download the ROM and do a Let's Play-style game.

Then I realized that I hate anything resembling effort, so I guess I'll just let everybody talk about their memories of the game and we'll just see what happens. :)

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like I've just woken up in a sex dungeon while being anally raped by a Gorilla wearing bright pink headphones and an "I'm with stupid" T-shirt.

That's the level of sheer confusion this thread inspires in me.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What?

No really. What?

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Um. That screenshot is from Chrono Trigger, specifically the Reptites castle.

I'm not sure what you're on, but this is your only warning -- make another retarded thread like this again and you're banned.

5. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Huh. Not quite the responses I was hoping for, but I can work with this.

Seratin and Emiya: I'm working on a fanfiction where Harry finds himself in the RPG I've described after completing his first runthrough of books 1-7. I thought it would be fun to pretend it was a real RPG and see if I could get anybody else to play along.
    That option's still on the table, BTW.

Sree: Yes, it was a faked screenshot. I just grabbed a random Crono Trigger screenshot and slapped GBA Harry over the top. No matter where I post this, there's always one guy who can tell exactly where the image is from. Good catch!

While I understand that there was some confusion, I think banning me seems to be a drastic overreaction for posting "a retarded thread".

Which also seems like needlessly confrontational language. I suppose it helps that you have both power and anonymity, so you can say whatever you want without worrying about repercussions.
    Still...

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh. I've seen these kinds of threads before. Shitposting, plain and simple.

7. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Red Aviary: I must admit, I'm not familiar with that phrase. In context, though, it's obviously a bad thing.

How am I shit-posting, and what should I do in the future to avoid shit-posting?

EDIT: After looking through some of the posts in the Hall of Shame, I can only conclude I'm handling this the wrong way.

You all suck dick.

Is that more appropriate?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I do not think you read enough of the Hall of Shame.

Where you went wrong: we don't want to be part of some convoluted roleplaying situation without being informed first.

Though, to be fair, even if you had posted a thread that actually enlightened us on the subject matter rather than acting like a complex bot (your name is even somewhat suspicious) or just a person with a strange sense of humor, people would likely still be annoyed as most of us don't RP.

Were you aiming to roleplay or did you want advice/constructive criticism on your story?

9. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Ah. That makes sense.

I'm not sure I would call it roleplay, but yeah. I was hoping other people would play along.

For my fanfiction I was going to intersperse Harry's subjective experience with a fictional person's forum posts asking for help playing the game. I wasn't coming up with anything interesting to write on my own, so I wrote the original post in hopes something said here would jumpstart my imagination.

In any future situations I'll be sure to explain myself and not just jump straight into a bizarre/confusing post with no context.

EDIT:
    While we're on the subject, can you think of a better place for me to post this? (with the proper context, obviously)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Work by Author? But thats only if you want help with the story, grammer, pacing, plot, ect. I'm not sure people will be up for actual interaction. You could try though?

Try spacebattles perhaps.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I have a feeling this thread is destined for the Hall of Shame.

12. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Honestly stories on ffn get a lot friendlier reception than here, especially new authors. But you could try WBA. Although I don't think it is a great idea for new users to start posting there first thing. I don't know how much help we can give you jump starting your imagination and stories aren't usually well received if they need a ton of help with grammar and spelling. I'd suggest lurking and reading stories in the WBA before submitting anything there.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think Ash said it best:
    I mean, sure, the idea of writing a fic where Harry is dealing with an RPG is alright. There's been several other types of "game" stories that have gone over reasonably well. Like this one and this other one. Neither one is exactly what you're going for though, which means you're trying something new, which is great (assuming you can pull it off).

But your post is confusing and you didn't make it clear what you wanted (to be honest I'm still not entirely clear). If you aren't ready to post a story in WbA then maybe make a thread (or have this one moved and edit your first post) to this sub-forum.

Explain exactly what you're trying to do and ask for help with it. Maybe you'll get some useful feedback and maybe you won't.

Best of luck.

14. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Anya: Ooh, Spacebattles. I didn't think of them, but that sounds like a good fit for what I'm going for here.

LT2000: Wouldn't surprise me, or even upset me.

bob99: Thanks for the feedback.

Cheddartrek: Thank you for the specific and constructive feedback.

15. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

/me clears throat

Man, this thread really brings me back. I don't know how many months I sank in the Harry Potter games when I was younger. They were the shit, especially the Underground Vaults of Gringotts. I must have died like a thousand times to the fucking multiplying galleons of doom in the Horcrux Hunt quest line - or the Dragon outside - and I was the master of every cart-ride route in the bank railroad minigame. I must still have my copy somewhere, though my SNES is resting busted inside one of the countless boxes in my garage.

/me looks for it anyway

/aaaaaaand scene

I think the OP was looking for something like this? I could be wrong, though.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought he meant. And it's stupid.

17. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

THANK YOU!

Yes, something like that. Exactly like that.

I don't remember the Horcrux Hunt questline very well, but I usually didn't make it past the third or fourth year myself.

The one time I made it to the end of the game, the main quests for the last 3 years were HP and the: 5) League of Crysalmanth, 6) Serpent's Apprentice, and 7) Imperial Regalia.

Red Aviary: Yeah, that's the impression that I get from pretty much every place I try to post this.
    Disappointing, but... oh, well.

18. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Meh, I've seen stupider threads. And it's a change of pace, I'll give it that much. Sort of a brainstorming session combined with a bullshitting contest. No point in bitching at the guy for trying something different. It might be stupid, but it's definatly more entertaining then the usual shitposts.

/ontopic

Yeah, I remember those games. They were kinda hokey, filled with cliche bullshit, like that one questline that you could only get to by finding that book at the Dursley's. The hidden treasure rooms and all those subquests where you never actually got anything worthwhile for finishing. I always felt like an idiot for putting in so much effort for such a bullshit reward.

19. redshell

redshell Order Member

Yeah, I remember these. I think they're what started my loathing of fetch quests and trade chains. I mean, come on. Fetch quests are the epitome of laziness, and the lost & found board was essentially a way to pad the gameplay while you killed time, either waiting for something to happen in one of the main quests (like waiting for Hermione to finish the Polyjuice Potion) or just doing something.

And the trade chains? At least Zelda's trade chains resulted in something useful, like the Biggoron Sword. Here, it was something dumb like supposedly receiving one of Hermione's ties that gave +5 to INT, and even then intelligence was really only useful to speed the process of learning spells. Why would I want to be a better learner when I picked Harry on the Character Select screen in the first place? He already comes with aptitude in DADA, which is essentially the only area in the game where you learn spells that will do something.

Also, fuck the Basilisk boss fight. Fuck it so much.

20. abcd_z

abcd_z First Year

Yeah. You can blast through a good chunk of the game with nothing but DADA spells, but in doing so you'll miss unlockable dialogue and a few out-of-the-way power-ups.

Besides, I would usually save-scum so that I got the Deathly Hallow on Christmas first year. Doing so made it so that I could skip several battles without having to spend any points on disillusionment.
    Of course, that meant that I was locked out of acquiring any of the other major artifacts, like the Gauntlet of Might in Year 3 or the Staff of the Magi in Year 4.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why I never got very far. The one time I successfully completed the game, I had picked up the Benevolent Jewel instead of the Invisibility Cloak, boosting my MAG instead of my stealth and putting me on the path to collect the Imperial Regalia for my seventh year instead of the Deathly Hallows.

I guess that made a larger difference than I thought?

Oh, my God, the Basilisk fight. I had forgotten about that, thanks for reminding me.

My friend swore he had picked up an item at Platform 9 & 3/4 that let him beat the basilisk in one turn. I followed the vague instructions he gave me as best I could, but I never found the item.

I'm ashamed of how long it took me to realize he lied to me. :(

Not open for further replies.