1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fallen by Colon - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Iztiak, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Title: Fallen
    Author: Colon
    Rating: T
    Genre: Xover
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: None so far.
    Summary: In the middle of the night, Harry Potter falls down the proverbial rabbit hole, and lands in the proverbial midden heap. Stuck in a world completely different from home, he gets drawn into a war even worse than the one he left behind. Lotr cross. Post HBP

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2178610/1/Fallen

Eh, I recently came across this and thought it was a decent story.
    Not the best grammar or spelling, but I'd give it a 4/5. So far at least.

Just thought I'd post it here, see what DLP thought of it.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I like it. My only complaint is that the author averages a chapter per six months. It's very good nonetheless. The author doesn't hesitate to have Harry attempt heroics, and fail.

3. Iztiak

Yeah, I think he posted on his/her profile page that he was changing that.
    "Setting deadlines" or something of that sort.

I'm pretty sure he said his next chapter will be posted on the 14th.

4. Hobbes

Hobbes First Year

whats the crossover with?

EDIT:
    Nvm don't answer that.

5. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Reads like a train wreck and takes several chapters to even say what its been crossed with.

At least it wasn't a Gin-slut coupling or slash (at least thus far).

2/5

6. Iztiak

I'd die before I posted one of those.

And I didn't say it was perfect or anything, I just wanted to see if anyone thought it library worthy.

7. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I liked it, it seemed interesting. Wasn't perfect or anything, but it's library worthy at least. 4/5

8. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I dont't know what crawled up youre ass and died but there were two chapters of introduction. One where the author pointed out what happend to the Order and the general rest of the Hp-universe and one chapter pointing out more or less where Harry now finds him self and the state hes in.

I found this a good beginning especially the believable way in wich the fellowship is speaking.

And could you keep the randomnes to yourself? There hasn't even been the slightest hint at Ginny (she IS dead) or slash.

Thank you

9. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Harry and Skeeter teaming up is brilliant!...then he turns up in Middle-Earth for no apparent reason. I should have liked to read about Harry and Rita taking down Voldemort.

That said, I quickly found myself engrossed with the story. Now we shall sit and wait to see if this just follows the plot of the Lord of the Rings with little to know varation (except, of course, Boromir not dieing) or actually creates a new and interesting plot.

I like that Harry does not have his wand.

10. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I stumbled across this the other day. I happen to like it, but it does have one thing I've noticed that pops up in most non-slash Lord of the Rinds crossovers, He ends up in that dark orc-infested cave. Not that it is bad idea, but it is used quite a bit. I give it a 4/5. Not the best but for a Lord of the Rings crossover it is great.

11. Andro

I've never once seen another Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings crossover in which Harry ends up in Moria. Linkage needed.

12. Iztiak

Yeah, any links would be appreciated. I've never seen any others either.

13. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I think there was this one called 'the black Wizard' or something like that, in which Harry was turned into a Vampire and outlived most of his peers.

Hermione, just before dying sent him to a place in which he could not see his friends die and maybe find someone like him, and he ended up in Middle Earth. In Isengard he met Saruman who started to get interested in his condition and tried to coax him into turning others to serve him. He refused and escaped barely alive, went into Moria and lived twenty or so years in the mines, eating Orcs and Goblins for breakfast until he meets the Fellowship.

I read it a while ago, when I was starting in this, so I don't know how would I find it now, but back then I thought it was pretty good. I'll try to find it and post the link later, now ff.net doesn't seem to work for me...

14. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Wow, I wanted to X out after reading the first chapter, but I stayed with it since there aren't many non slash HP/LotR fics out there.

There is some obvious improvement in writing since the writer started this story in 2004! to 2007 when he has only six chapters. The update rate is ridiculous, and coming from me that's saying something.

As far as the story goes, there really isn't enough content in the cross over portion to judge but I would not give this above 3/5. Nothing really struck me as special here besides Harry not having his wands, and not being Legolas's boy toy.

I would not recommend this story until I saw more, and that might be in 2009 so what's the point really.

15. Andro

That's JuMiku's "The Dark Wizard and the Curse of Immortality". Of all the crossovers with LoTR, that's probably my favorite.

16. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Meh, not bad. I just can't understand the point in having him so injured... And it seems that the wound was just caused by a fall. Kind of stupid.

Well, we will see.

17. Iztiak

Yes I thought it was totally ridiculous too, but the author said he will have scheduled updates from now on.
    I'm pretty sure he said the next one is supposed to be released tomorrow, but don't quote me on that.

18. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Well, that really isn't a good sign.

19. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

How about no.

20. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It's a decent enough start, but the fact remains that Harry has been more or less unconscious for the majority of it. It has potential I'll admit, but as of now it certainly doesn't deserve a four star rating.... or a rating at all for that matter...

I won't vote on it yet, but until harry is actually a viable character again it'll never get over a 3 from me as a HP fic.