1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Alright, so it's about 22 days til Fallout 4 is released, I figured we might as well have a thread for it. What are you guys excited about?

Features I'm interested in:
    1. I'm wondering how customizable the player built structure will be. It looks fairly decent. I liked the house DLC for Skyrim, and I can only imagine improvements on that. (Mods alone could probably do a lot with it)
    https://fat.gfycat.com/EmbellishedLikableIceblueredtopzebra.webm

I really want the player built structure to have some significance besides just a cool place to stash your shit though. At least some Raiders, traders, and some awesome quests.

2. Bethesda has stated they're going to port player-made mods from the PC to the consoles...

How exactly will that work?

That seems like it could have some problems just related to the mods themselves, not even mentioning possible copyright issues related to modding in characters from other games or whatever.

But I admit I know literally nothing about modding or what the process of porting mods would entail.

Also, if you're planning on buying this and don't mind using Greenmangaming and preordering, if you use this code it's 20% off($48.00 USD).

Oh, and you also can't preload it because they don't give you the steam code until release day, so keep that in mind.

20OFFE-RENADB-SJUGCV

But if the 20% off makes a difference to you, like it does to me, there's the code. It should be good until October 31st.

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I'm expecting an upload feature for the player bases/towns, customized weapons, and possibly power armor. Adding new scripts probably won't be doable, and there's no way they'll let people add new meshes or textures to the console version.

The inevitable sex mods alone guarantee there's going to be some kind of vetting process.

I keep seeing people saying shit about how the console version will get everything the PC version does, how it'll look just as good and have all this extra content, and most of that just isn't possible.

I'm more concerned that this is going to fuck up PC modding somehow, like the game is set up to only allow mods OK'd by Bethesda or something in an attempt to start up some more paid mod bullshit.

3. salts

salts Third Year

Wasn't Valve trying to start up paid mods again recently? Found the article. TL;DR, their reply sounds iffy, in that they're gunning for selected games to sell these user-content.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt the console will get the full range of mods. IIRC, adult mods don't show up on steam workshop and is only ever available on the Nexus. So I'm guessing whatever steam gets, the console will too like a month later -- especially if you take into account some kind of vetting process. There should be no way a PC mod is fully compatible with its console counterpart on the get-go, right?

4. Bootleg Beerkeg

Bootleg Beerkeg Squib

I'd love to know how Power Armor is going to be, since in the gameplay released, it acts more like a mech suit then armor. Which is perfectly okay with me, since power armor's supposed to be like a walking tank in fallouts lore, but how are we gonna haul that shit around? Will we have to go to our bases to put it on? Or will we just stuff it into our standard issue, endlessly expandable RPG inventories? I don't mind having to keep your armor somewhere, so that you have to go to your base to put it on, because it adds some planning into the game. Do you think your current quest is gonna turn into an explosive shitstorm? Put on some power armor. Do you think its a standard fetch quest? Just go in your jumpsuit. And to prevent always using the power armor, you can give it some things that require upkeep and maintenance, such as fuel, or replacement of parts.

I just feel that, since power armor's an important part of Fallout, I'd like to know what Bethesda's planning to do with it.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I hope it's gonna be like Iron Man's sentinel mode in Avengers 2.

I purchased the Pipboy edition before the announcement stream was even over.

21 days. Supppperr Psyched.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Yay preordered, plus suckered myself in to the $30 season pass DLC thing. At least I had a code that took off 20% of the season pass and 20% of the actual game (20perc-harvst-saving, JIC anyone else can use it)... I'm sure there will be more than $24 of DLC that I'm interested in, so meh.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've never played a fallout game before. Would this be a good place to start?

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

We haven't played it yet so can't give you a definite answer, but based on everything i've seen, most likely.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Pretty much. Nearly every Fallout game is pretty self contained. They share the same universe and/or have nods to different characters or references sprinkled in.

10. Iztiak

Yeah, Fallout 4, like the rest, should be pretty self-contained. You should have no trouble starting out with just 4. None of the Fallout games have the same main character to my knowledge.

Though to be honest, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are still pretty good games, and on a steam sale you can get them for ~$5, including all the DLC. If you're interested, you could always give one or both a try before FO4 is released next month.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd suggest the original Fallout, but if you're one of those people that can't play old games for some reason you might as well just play this one.

12. Bootleg Beerkeg

Bootleg Beerkeg Squib

Though there will be some mention of Fallout 3 in 4, specifically some reappearing characters, you'll probably be able to start out with 4. If you want, you can play 3 or New Vegas, which are both great. You can also perhaps play the first two games, though I've only partially played 2, and haven't played 1. But in the end, they've all got separate plots, which are mostly non related, and all you might miss would be some small callbacks/easter eggs.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Sure, it's quite possible for you to play this upcoming installment in the Fallout series, as they are more or less self-contained releases, but I'd heartily recommend that you start from the very beginning, with Fallout 1&2.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Fallout 1 & 2 are also the old style of top down view like GTA 1 & 2 from the early 90's.

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They're isometric, not top-down. More like Baldur's Gate.

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

How the hell did this not get posted anywhere? It's old, but I've never heard any of this stuff before.

So. No nude mods or copyrighted stuff, probably some form of approval, and all mods have to be submitted through bethesda.net to be used on the consoles, though I imagine someone will make a workaround.

17. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

That seems pretty risky to me. I'll preface by saying that I'm not an expert, but I have made some mods for Fallout and I think I know a fair bit. A lot of what mods can do on PC is by virtue of the fact that gaming PCs are often way more powerful than the game needs them to be to run, as a result of them being optimised for consoles on crappier hardware. On the consoles however these games are usually optimised to hell and back and are already stretching the console to their limits.

Start chucking in a bunch of extra NPCs, textures, scripts - welcome to crash city. Further, even if Timmy the 12 year old who installs 80 mods at once without checking to see if they conflict with each other doesn't accidentally brick his console, I don't think it's impossible to design a mod that intentionally fucks with your console. Just completely drags down performance, corrupts saves or any number of things, cause people are dicks. And some PC players (who will be creating the mods) love to look down on console players and fuck with them.

So yeah, sounds like a massive clusterfuck waiting to happen. Have fun, Bethesda/MS/Sony customer service departments. Having seperate saves for mods (like Civ) is a good step but I still think it's going to be quite a mess. I thought they'd have to go with a pretty curated, vetted selection from Bethesda because Sony and Microsoft would be wary of the prospect of untested software on their consoles possibly fucking things up, but maybe they have a pretty robust system in place. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm assuming they won't be able to get the Fo4 version of FOSE so likely all the best mods will be confined to PC anyway.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Agreed. PC's have all the CPU/GPU power to handle all the mods + the game running (assuming said person has good boards) WAY better than consoles ever could. Hence why consoles generally don't have mods available.

19. Iztiak

True enough, but you can still toss in a couple mods even on a terrible computer, and I'm sure that the consoles can manage at least that.

If nothing else, the bug fix mods will probably help out console players until an official fix comes along.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hell, quite a few mods. Not all mods have to be power crunching intense 4k retexturings and overreaching climate mods. There are a lot of efficiency mods out there that let the game be smoother (even if a lot of the time they're just config tweaks that you could do yourself), or unofficial bug fixes. Hell, even your average weapon retexture or armor or skill tweak or whatever doesn't do much to machine stress.

Then again, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas were fucking nightmares for x+1 mods where x=1.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015