1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've had this game for nearly six months and holy shit I cannot get into it at all.

Every time I can I pick up a controller and try to dive in again only to find myself quitting after an hour or so. I can't pinpoint what puts me off it. Maybe it was building my first terrible multi-story house or trying to vaguely understand supply routes. Maybe it was getting pinned down in a subway tunnel filled with Tommy gun wielding maniacs.

I don't know.

I liked Fallout three, I love TES. I expected to spend 80+ hours on this game but it's just not grabbing me in that way.

Anybody else felt like this?

2. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Seratin. I did. I shifted to Fallout 4 after TES, and goddamn did I find this unappealing. Maybe for me it was the setting, or maybe the fact that the MC has his own voice... I don't know really, except that it turned me off.

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Same.

The same thing happened to me with JC3. I loved Fallout 3 and Just Cause 2, but just can't get into sequels.

I think its about the removal of RPG elements in favor of more elaborate fucking about mechanics.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Err....

I know what you are getting at, but that's still funny. :)

Fallout 4 had all the right elements to it for a Fallout game, but I'm with Myrddin - the voice thing bothered me way more than I thought it was going to. Well, that and the whole "Oh good, you're taking our side? Excellent! Now be a dear and kill EVERYONE ELSE for us, if you wouldn't mind" thing. Meh.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The biggest problem I've had with Fallout 4 so far is that it's really hard to RP an arsehole — I've had to do a ton of mental gymnastics to justify my character even progressing through the main quest.

6. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

I started playing around Christmas time. I played it for about 80 hours on and off a bit. I enjoyed it but I only did the main story line.

I now have to force myself to do anything else. I got Automatron hoping it would change it up a bit but I never could quite get into it.

All in all for me, its a fun game but it has like no replay value none of the characters are even really memorable.

7. Estarc

Estarc Third Year

Fallout 4 isn't much of a CRPG. Bethesda games never really have been. They're interesting sandboxes to play around in. I actually felt Fallout 4 benefited from a voiced protagonist. The short, uninspired text lines with no real flavour variation aren't something I really miss. Dragon Age is a series where I felt and still feel that a voiced PC hurt the story telling, cause there is a lot more of it though.

Still that said I enjoy it for what it is. It's a fun sandbox shooter with a tonne of shit to do especially if you're into crafting. I dropped about 150 hours on it on PS4 then bought it on PC later and started playing with mods. Put another 125 hours in so far. I'll probably start another game eventually with a definitive mod installation plus all DLC.

If I wanted to play an RPG though I'd play Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2. Even the Witcher games. Nothing by Bethesda. That or revisit some classics.

8. vzr

vzr Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I couldn't agree more on this point. I've got ~200 hours in Fallout 4 and I definitely still am having fun. It takes a bit of time to get used to the building aspect, but I've turned it into a bit of a Sims thing to make better castles. Old Sims, not the new bullshit that has come out of the franchise.

And I cant recommend Witcher 3 enough, but I have to say that you need to at least read the wiki pages for 1 and 2 before you play it. I'd say you should play them, but that's a damn huge time commitment, especially if you want to figure out the optimal ending in Witcher 2. I beat that game from save files half a dozen times, and mostly from Act 1.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

If anyone here's still playing and has mods that touch the scripts in the workshop menu... or that even breathe on anything resembling the workshop (incl. the Fallout 4 Unofficial Patch), the most recent update to 1.6 fucked it all up.

So, until/if it's fixed, you might find settlements unusable and you can't assign settlers. Reverting back to version 1.5 might help it assuming you haven't booted the game since, but if you have and since it's all evidently tied to the save file, my condolences.

10. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Well, thanks for letting whoever know man. Dammit, that sucks ass.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

12. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Played what I think is most of Far Harbour over the past two days, up to and including finishing the story. Sided with Acadia, with an almost entirely peaceful ending. I really liked everything about DiMA; the design, the interactions with Nick, his actions in the past, the way he called my character out for helping the railroad.

I also liked the giant hermit crab. And the Vim! painted T-51b's. Red is nicer imo. And the apparently plagiarized quest.

The island seems kind of small compared to something like OWB or HH. But that might just be time distorting my memory. There wasn't really a new weapon or armor that stood out to me (except the Vim paint). Old Longfellow went unused because I cared so much more about what Nick had to say.

50/50 on the computer code parts. If the workshop wasn't so annoying to use, and the transport bugs weren't so slow, I would have enjoyed it more.

It's a good expansion, but IDK if it was actually worth the price I payed (35$CA) for it. Unless the reviews for Nuka World are saying that it was created by the hand of god, then I'll wait for a steam sale.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

I'm just glad I got the DLC pass for $30... before Beth hiked it up

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have never bought DLC from Bethesda, however. I've played all of it.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  16. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

I am weak. Bought it at the first opportunity, and played it with both my higher level characters.

The only things that posed a challenge for my melee character were laser turrets in Nuka Galaxy. Everything else tasted the bitter pain of Atom's Judgement. Regardless of the lack of challenge, I still enjoyed that playthrough. Nuka Galaxy is a very good scavenger hunt/fetch quest, as far as those go. I liked Kiddie Kingdom the next most after that, Oswaldo was cool. Until he died.

My second character, Hans Valkyrie, Submarine Captain, who always wears power armor in addition to his submarine captain's outfit, decided that all raiders should die. So they did. Had a bit more of a challenge with this, since I couldn't Grim Reaper's Sprint my way through the park. Repaired the Overboss PA like four times while killing the gangs, one for each group + the market. Good thing it only takes steel to repair.

What's fun? The new power armors are nice, though the Vim t-51's are better than the Nuka t-51. New enemy types in Dry Rock Gulch are neat, bloodwurms are like a leisurely game of whackamole with my melee character. Already mentioned Nuka Galaxy (which has a working roller coaster) and Kiddie Kingdom. Cito was good, too. Cappy in a Haystack had a good payoff.

What's not fun? Laser turrets. Scavenger quests can only be so good before they become exercises in following a youtube guide or reading comprehension. Felt a bit short, since a lot of the content seems to be Raiding the Commonwealth, which involves settlement building. Maybe one day I'll explore that part of the game.

I sided with the Pack and the Operators. The Disciples got nothing. Dixie gives me the heebie jeebies.

Sucks for PS4 users :\

17. Seratin

High Score:

Was about to make a thread for this. Absolutely disgusted. Seriously thinking of getting rid of my PS4 for an XBox One S.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

Heh, as an aside, does this mean you finally got into FO4?

19. Seratin

High Score:
    Nope, tried more characters but it hasn't grabbed me by the balls like previous titles. I'm more gutted about the Skyrim remaster.

20. Tairi-chan

Tairi-chan Squib

High Score:
    One of the most awful character customisation I've ever seen! They even put some ugly stuff like acne & other disgusting skin imperfections. What is it, some kind of joke? Then I don't get it. Or are they serious? But why even do such thing? Most of us want to play as beautiful characters, not some kind of disgusting monstrosity. Is it not so?