1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Family Values by Ishtar - K

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by arkeus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Title: Family Values
    Author: Ishtar
    Rating: Everyone so far
    Genre: Alternate
    Pairing: None so far
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 101,564
    Updated: June 7, 2008
    Published: November 6, 2006

Summary: Aunt Petunia gets rid of baby Harry by sending him to relatives in the United States. Relatives who turn out to be somewhat ... unusual. AU, Xover with The Addams Family.

link: http://ishtar.fanficauthors.net/Family_Values/index.php

I haven't seen it yet, and i was surprised, so here it is... i hope i am not doing a mistake, but so far it's a decent fic that cross over with the Addams Family.
    4/5 So far

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. iceking1600

iceking1600 Squib

It's pretty good, and like I always say it’s pretty hard to find a good crossover with anything and this one is enjoyable. I really like the confrontation between Dumbledore and Mr. And Mrs. Addams.
    So I give it a 4/5

3. Tsukiyomi-chan

Tsukiyomi-chan Squib

This was pretty cool. I liked how Petunia decided to think about how she was doing things with her life, I have only read 2 other stories where I liked her. The confrontation with Dumbledore was interesting, and it will be interesting to see any further interactions between them.

A close Harry and Wednesday. I like the idea of this, and I really cant wait to see how it turns out.

4/5

4. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I for one, am a great fan of the Addams Family. This crossover is very well written, I'm really enjoying this one and eagerly awaiting the next chapter. 5/5

5. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I truly look forward to the future chapters of this. I have been following this story for a while, and this is one of the few well written crossovers I have read.

6. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

I really enjoyed this. Something new and different from the same old same old that seems to be flooding FFN.

Well written and it seems to be clearly heading somewhere rather than muddling along as the author thinks of things. I really like the characterisation and tehre isn't any 'acts of do' that I can spot

5/5

7. razz

razz Seventh Year

This is great. I love it. I was a bit peeved that all the Addams' children are witch/wizards now, though. And I hope they all don't go to Hogwarts ...

Still, 5/5!!

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it in the begining... and then the arranged marriage came into play, fuck i hate them you can just tell how they're going to end up acting with each other just from that, it sickens me.

3/5, would have been 4/5 but yeah. -slaps Author with a spoon.-

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I like this story. It's wonderfully funny and quite in character.

5/5

10. Silke

Silke Second Year

Well written, good characterization, great descriptions and an original plot.
    Normally i don't like crossovers however this story is really good and ofcourse, the regular updates don't hurt.

My only peeve is Wednesday and Pugsley becoming a witch/wizard but that's understandable.

Highly recommended 5/5

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Wednesday and Pugsley thing was a necessity for the story to go beyond first year at Hogwarts... If Harry goes to Hogwarts. Though having either Wednesday or Pugsley be magical would have made a good plot twist.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I really like the story, too. The Addams are in character, as is, I think, Petunia Dursley. Dumbledore as a senile meddling old fool is better than the huge number of evil!Dumbles out there. We haven't seen much of Harry yet, so I can't say anything.

I don't mind the marriage contract. I hope it will cause further trouble for Dumbledore in the future.

The point I really disliked - like several other people here - was Pugsley and Wednesday to become wizards, too. That wasn't necessary to develop an interesting plot, and I fear it will force the Addams to drift out of character, soon. I assume the author wants to keep the three kids together, once Harry enrolls at a wizard school.

To move them to Hogwarts wouldn't be that bad as long as the author doesn't follow canon or starts a prank war with the Weasleys. But I'd prefer an original, weirder Institute of Magic.

13. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

I was entirely unimpressed by chapter 6. The whole learning spells bit and discovering the killing curse ... it reads like some bad "Harry has two generic siblings" fic, nothing Addamsish remaining in there.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh come on, if you had just discovered you could do magic what would you do? Go through all the magic words you could think of? I certainly would, and abracadabra is very close to avada kedavra. As you've just seen.

Could be amusing to see how Voldie reacts to the Addams's though :D.

15. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

You misunderstand me. I would likely try that too but the way Ishtar wrote it - there no sense of it being the Addams kids doing it istead of some made up spawn of the Millers or Joneses.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I didn't expect much from this, but Ishtar somehow managed to glue these two fandoms together. How long will it hold, remains to be seen. I just hope she won't get tangled up with day-to-day shit at Hogwarts, like with her previous fic.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fan-freaking-tastic. As a huge fan of The Addams Family, I have been greatly saddened by the very awful crossovers I have seen thus far. This particular story has made me smile, in more ways than one. Is it perfect? No. But its strengths more than make up for its faults.

To be honest, the idea of a GOOD Harry/Wednesday fic makes me nearly giddy in anticipation (I said "GOOD"). I have great hopes for this story - so it better not let me down.

Seriously.

4/5

-J

18. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I never really like the addams family but this story is pretty good. I am hoping to author will not screw this up. 4/5.

19. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Just read this and i must say i'am well impressed at how well ishtar has written this crossover, dumbledore being beaten by the addams it's wonderful

5/5 this fic should already be moved out of the 'for review' section by now

20. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I think Ishtar is doing extremely well. And, why on earth would we want to send Harry anywhere but Hogwarts? At Hogwarts, we can compare the Adams-raised Harry to canon Harry. We get to see how the Adams family will interact with key Potterverse characters, instead of just getting an occasional aside about Dumbledore. Also, making the Adams children into witches/wizards was a necessary plot point for keeping the kids together, and can be easily overlooked, as can the marriage contract which, while overdone in indy!Harry fics, has played such a small part in the overall story that it is, at most, a minor sin.

Of course, the frequent updates are nice, too. Especially for Ishtar, who updates only slightly faster than Jeconais. NaNoWriMo is about the only time she puts out regular, fast-paced updates.

I'd give it a 4/5, which is a helluva lot better than anything her husband is gonna get.