1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction Recommendations: Barely Readable to Almost Average Part Two

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 19, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Awesome find - Library quality, too.

Edit: The power the Dark Lord knows not is a Black Widow with a penchant for ironic murders. :awesome

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Very fun little fic. I was grinning hard at the end. I'd say it's library worthy, also.

3. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Title: Home Inspection
    Author: nomikkin
    Summary: The Malfoy Manor had been under inspection for two years since the Dark Lord had fallen and it had now become so routine for Narcissa, that nothing could shock her. But when the familiar emerald-eyed hero arrives at her door, she realizes that there just might be more to life than the repeatative existance she had been living.
    Pairing: Harry/Narcissa
    Rating: 15+

Don't know if it was recommended before. It's a old fic. But I couldn't find it in the search threads. I just wish it was longer to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  4. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Broken links are broken.

Edit: Nevermind, it just took multiple tries to get to the right page. If you get the same problem(s), just click the link 3 or so times.

5. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Strange, it works just fine for me and I am using a different computer.

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

Yeah, it came up for me on the first click. Twice.

Decent time waster. I don't want my 5 minutes back or anything.

7. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Some more chapters of Champions were released. No matter how clichéd it is, I like it. It's a definite point in the story's favor that the author acknowledges that they wrote it to be like that.

That, and there's never enough Fleur.

8. ParseltonguePhoenix

Ok, I just gave this a look, and though I have absolutely no idea why, I like it. Sure, it's cliched and silly in places, but it's also a decent fluffy read. There's just really not much of it. The chapters are pretty damned short. Oh well. At least I have something to look at in between updates of the more serious fics I follow.

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Pretty much this. Also, the author is overly fond of exclamation marks, but that might just be me that's bothered by it.

Short chapters, maybe, but the author is finished the story and updates are, at the moment, once or twice a day. Can't complain there.

10. Anme

Anme Professor

I thought Champions was pretty horrible. I certainly wouldn't rate it above a 2. It pretty much has the cliches I hate most.

The part I quote is in my opinion representative for the story.:

Sebastian was pale and shaking by the time he left for the British Ministry of Magic, and it was all he could do to keep his stomach from rebelling. In all the long years he spent fighting depraved Dark Wizards as a younger man, he had never seen such horrors! He had some serious words for whoever left the boy there, and was bound and determined to get to the bottom of it!

The downside was that all roads led to Albus Dumbledore, and that was a problem.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Champions was bad. The author writes like a teenaged girl with a penchant for exclamation marks. The enitre situation is just horribly cliche: Fleur's dad, a powerful French politician, takes care of everything, and welcomes our pussy!Harry to the family. Eugh.

But yeah, Black Widow was a decent time-waster.

12. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Nope, it pisses me off beyond belief. So much so, that I actually did a find-replace for all exclamation marks.

The story itself is surprisingly readable. However, I'm thankful for the short chapters because in large doses I don't think I could stand it. Despite that, it is rather endearing somehow.

Definitely not library-worthy IMO, but a pretty good fit for this thread.

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

The author has, somewhat, corrected the exclamation mark problem in the last 2-3 chapters. Someone pointed it out in a review and he addressed it in an A/N.

As far as pussy!Harry goes, this is not pussy!Harry. It's more of a shell-hocked!Harry :) Being forced to marry (an admittedly hot) veela is just one more thing that's been dumped on a 14 year old who's life has been totally FUBAR. He's actually more believable here than he was in canon. That being said, I still find it annoying as fuck.

Cliches abound, but I was able to ignore them if I squinted really hard when reading those parts.

14. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

This. Not to mention the author keeps trying to write French dialogue using only an online translator. It shows.

15. Brown

Brown Third Year

How do you guys write languages that you don't speak? I just write what they say and put them in italics...is there any other way of doing it without looking like a fool?

16. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

^ Asking a native to do it for you. But your way's better, I think.

Apart from a "oui" or "non" or "merci" here and there, I don't see the point of writing dialogue in French if almost no one's gonna understand anyway.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Erm ... you ask someone that does? Seems kinda obvious to me >_>

So far, I've bugged Tinn for French, and Peteks for Finish stuff (which I am going to use, I swear), and helped out with German and Danish myself. It works.

But you don't want too many foreign languages in a story anyway, since for most readers it's all WHABRGGGL. And online translators are the worst invention ever >_>

Edit: ninj.a'd

18. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

To be honest, I think foreign languages should be ignored. Just say what they are saying and just add "said in language" where language is the language they're speaking. The only foreign words that should be left in are untransalatable words like Japanese suffixes and the like.

19. Anme

Anme Professor

which should be avoided by all costs.

20. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Unless there is a reason for them. TBH, they were the only things I could think of at the top of my head.

Not open for further replies.