1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction Recommendations: Barely Readable to Almost Average Part Two

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 19, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New Potter Rule: There is never a good reason to use Japanese.

Champions was blegh terrible. It reads like a terribad Harmony story, only where Hermione is french, hot, and separated into both herself and her father.

The 'romance' has the subtlety of a freight train, and the conclusions the characters draw are utter bullshit, my favorite being:

The fuck is this. If you presented any fourteen boy with the choice: get legally married and fuck an older girl who is quite literally more beautiful than humanly possible, they're going to jump at the chance. And it's not because they're all oh so noble.

Course, presenting Harry with a 'cake or death' set of choices removes any sense of decision-making for either party, and so the laughable concept of nobility is moot.

The story continues much in the same vein. Albus is his usual Harmony!Dumbledore self, and oh what a surprise, so is Ron. Derp derp derp.

So yeah, if you enjoy below-par Harmony fics and can convince yourself that copypasta name change and aesthetics make Fleur a new character, then knock yourselves out. I for one have no intention continuing this story, and neither should you because I can finish it for you right now: (Note, some of these may have already happened, since I'm not going to continue.)

- Harry and Fleur get married, live happily ever after, and with Hermione's help defeat Voldemort
    - Ron will try to rape someone, probably Hermione.
    - Dumbledore gets humiliated at every turn, as Harry finds out that he's responsible for everything from blocking his fanmail to stealing from his vaults. Probably paying off the Weasleys.
    - Ginny will try and fail to love potion Harry. Either the potion goes wrong, or his love for Fleur cancels it out. This may be the first time that there is 'proof' of his love.
    - Harry will be both remarkably independent (TAKE THAT, YOU OLD COOT) while still proving to have a romantic and overbearingly chivalrous streak. However, Fleur will never use this as an excuse to just walk all over the schmuck.
    - Occlumency will be learned, but it will be fucking terrible, probably involving castles with moats and/or Obsidian shields.

Congrats, you're done.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Cockroach!Snake!Nundu!Harry who kills people for food/because he doesn't like them/all humans need to be destroyed.

Starts off trying to be quite serious and it just doesn't work, the reasons for Harry being so bloodthirsty and shit is just plain stupid. Chapters 5 and 6 have been more crack fic-ish, not sure if that's been done intentionally though and it becomes a little easier to read. Haven't read 7 yet.

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay. Harry started talking to a cockroach in the first chapter and I had to put it down. Seriously, a better candidate for the WTF fic thread than it is for almost recommended.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I've been following this actually, probably because I'm pretty much getting what I was expecting after the first few lines, brutality and rare concepts aside. Sure, it's pretty out there and plays with clichés a bit, but I haven't read stuff like this for quite a while. Definitely not a For Review candidate, but I still find it rather entertaining. Maybe it's just my craving for supernatural elements coming through though.

5. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

This story is exactly what is says on the tin. It's the diary conversations between Ginny and Tom that happened in COS. So we already know how the story's going to end. This also has the disadvantage of being written before OOTP.

BUT Tom Riddle's characterization is spot on and that is what makes it worth reading. Truly one of the best characterizations of him that I've seen. The story itself really starts picking up in its second half and surprisingly became pretty suspenseful even with the ending being obvious.

I guess what keeps me from reccing this is the main character, but hey try it out if you have time. The excellent writing is another thing that makes it worth the read.

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

^I completely agree with this rec. Tom is creepily awesome and scary. The only problem I had was the author using Virginia instead of Ginevra, but you can fix that with a Find-Replace.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4198892/1/First_Place_Sinner by Daystar Clarion

In which Harry has Petunia's love, though it makes him bleed. Rated M For masochism, drug abuse, and other mature themes
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Horror/Family - Chapters: 1 - Words: 11,749 - Reviews: 59 - Published: 4-15-08 - Harry P. & Petunia D. - Complete

Seems like it's going to fail utterly, but it doesn't. Both creepy and kinda believable. Probably the some of the most haunting('cause it's so disturbing) HP fanfiction I've read.
    I wouldn't rec it to the library because it's angsty/cutting/sadomasochism...Awesome fic.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Fucking awesome find. Best oneshot I've read in months.

If you like those types of fics, you might like this one even though most of DLP doesn't.

Here's something I just found.

A pretty good read for fans of Tom Riddle stories. Kinda poetic too.

EDIT: Wait First Place Sinner is in the recycling bin? What the hell is it doing there? Quick we need to get it out!

8. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

On the other side, "Servant of the Dark" from the same author is much better, IMO. It's a bit creepy though, much like when watching an episode of Dexter for the first time.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4969049/1/Servant_of_the_Dark

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I often do find/replace when someone writes Ginerva instead of Ginevra.

This story has been mentioned here before, and I liked it then. I always sort of wanted to see a sequel/continuation.

Edit: Which is odd, because bleak fic isn't my scene, but most of those just hammer you with the horrible things happening to Harry and his friends, while losing the human thread. This story, on the other hand, delved more into interpersonal relationships (well, the one between Harry and Petunia, at least), which was what I found so interesting.

There are some typos (as/an, of/off) that really should have been fixed by now and a curious habit of using the phrase 'took a swig of his cigarette' instead of 'took a drag off his cigarette', but not bad on the whole.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Sorry Warlocke(and everyone else who witnessed the horror that is Ginerva instead of Ginevra) for that error. It's been corrected. The same author who wrote The Very Secret Diary has a few other good fics.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  11. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Surprisingly good, actually. Really short, but creepy.

12. AAli

Just found this, haven't read it yet though.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Erm ... erm. I don't think you would want to either. I know I read that and I can't remember shit. This usually happens when the story is terribad. I vaguely recall something to do with Voldemort's daughter, and that really makes me go wtf right now. The summary is a trap :|

14. AAli

Yeah, just finished chapter 3.
    Tracy Davis = Tracy Davis Riddle
    Dumbledore = Super evil overlord
    Voldemort = Misunderstood freedom fighter
    Hermione = Spy

:|

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

o.0

(filler)

16. AAli

I know that both have been posted in here already but I quite like these two, they wouldn't make it into the library and there's been several new chapters since they were last posted. The first one in particular is a guilty pleasure fic of mine.

17. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I'm pretty sure both were recommended already.

18. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

It depends on how it's done. I think one of the better concepts of this type out there is this Star Trek: The Next Generation episode.

19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ever since 'To be Loved' has transformed into 'Loved, and Overbearingly So', I've been unable to stomach it. It's like Rocag's story - solid technically if not outstanding, readable plot if not anything new. Then it pushed a little too hard on the romance throttle, and what interest there was died during the long and continuous declarations of true love.

Might as well be Harmony.

20. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Well.... Does canon ever go into grizzly details, or is that just fanon? I remember that generally we hear that the time before Voldemort's backfired Curse were "Bad" and "Really bad".

I think that's a highly plausible plot bunny tbh.... if you can get around the whole Purebloods thing.

Since it's posted here and not in plot bunnies thread... can we assume.. that they didn't?

Not open for further replies.