1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ragon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Harem? What the fuck are you talking about now?

2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Especially since only, like, three women have shown interest in Harry (at least, interest of the non-horrible kind).

Ones on her way to being a greasy, bat-like bloodsucker. Ones an annoying twat. And ones a 200 year old hag in a young body, who happens to have an interest in younger guys.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

What are you on? There are lots of hawt wimminz in Alera, and they're powerful to boot. Nothing better than that. I'd take any of the High Ladies every day.

So, after I finished Princeps (and was not at all pleased about what became of some of my favourite characters) and to get this going again, let's think about some parings. At this point, that's as good a way to start as any. Not that Kitai is bad, but we have that in the books already.

My personal favourite would be Tavi/Odiana. Sadly, besides the usual "Everyone close to Tavi gets killed, he snaps, and together, they kill anything that moves" it's a bit weak on the plot front (could make for an amusing One-Shot, though) :p

So rather, I go with my second favourite, and propose Tavi/Lady Aquitaine, in the first sketches of an AU as follows: Invidia Aquitaine is one of the most scheming persons in the whole series. It's positively awesome <3 Together with her husband, she wants to overthrow Gaius and take the position of the First Lord and Lady for themselves.

Now suppose it somehow became known sooner that Tavi was Septimus' son, and suppose it was Invidia who knew it. She thinks long and hard, and in the end decides that he would make for a better First Lord -- for her, since she can control him easier than she can control Attis, which means more power for her.

She does what can do best and starts manipulating things, which eventually leads to an abrupt demise of Attis, all the while she distracts Gaius (and gets him killed as well) and gets closer to Tavi.

It needs to be fleshed out much more, but it ends up with Tavi as the new First Lord and her as the First Lady, in something like a stalemate: Tavi is much smarter than she gave him credit for, which leaves her with less influence than she wanted, but she can't exactly kill him like the others either, since that would be relieving herself of the source of whatever power she has now.

My knowledge about Alera is not nearly as complete as it is in HP; I have to re-read the books, but from what I dimly remember, this could work a few years after Academ's Fury, perhaps.

It has the added advantage that we can keep the Borg, er, Vord and the subsequent destruction of Alera out of the picture; and concentrate on the various games of (political) power in a still working empire.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

You do have a taste for the weird pairings.

But I'd be more than happy to see Tavi going for Aria Placida.

5. phalanx

phalanx Squib

Actually more women than that have shown interest in Harry.
    I assume you meant Susan, Murphy and Luccio. There's still Elaine, Molly, Gard and then there are the dangerous one's Mab, Maeve, Lasciel, Lara, maybe Inari.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  6. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Have you seen what's happened to the people who've touched the Valkyries? Harry's already tried Elaine, it didn't work out. Molly's his best friends daughter, his apprentice, a former warlock with a speciality of drilling holes in minds, and way below his batting zone. Which are important is up to you. Mab...well, Harry would be lucky to die in that situation. Maeve; an insane and cruel bitch. Lasciel; doesn't even exist in this plain or reality. Lara; would eat his soul for lunch, leaving him an empty husk at her beck and call. Inari; either taken or the same as Lara, depending on when.

Need I go on?

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I ship Harry/Molly. She's the one for him :p

Though to be fair I always imagine her without all the piercings lol.

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

She also has the tattoo's. Add Gothy McGoth to the Molly list.

9. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Dudes? Alera forum. Dresden stuff is two sub forums up.

10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I suspect that the reason we haven't seen a map of Alera is because of all the hints and teases Butcher has been throwing out over the course of the books that Alera is some sort of alternate Earth. All the references to a "Romanic" state that preceeded Alera and didn't have Furies seem like hints at that, and Princep's Fury gives the theory a further boost as:

The page directly before the Prologue pretty much directly states that the Romanic Empire = Rome, and it was destroyed by Germans more or less as per history.
    Maybe we will get to see a map at some point; assuming that the Alera = Earth theory is right I'm rather curious to see what ends up where.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Alera isn't Earth. It's an alternate world into which one (or maybe more) of the lost Roman legions found themselves accidentally transported, and there the legion started a society that mirrored Rome.

Its been hinted that the other species on Carna got there in the same way, though maybe not the Cain. The Vord got there by space, and look to be a terraforming biotechnology created by an alien race.

This is all from Butcher.

Hopefully he won't integrate it into the books. It taking place on Earth is a much better idea, IMO.

12. Nigh7

Nigh7 Muggle

13. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    A link to the relevant thread on jimbutcher forum and all the maps was posted on the previous page of this thread.

In any case, the map is the product of conjecture by fans, so it has no cannon status and thus doesn't kill the Alera/Carna is Earth theory.

@ Taure

Where did Butcher say that?

In any case, the reference to Germania in the introductory quotes throws a wrench into the lost legion theory. I suppose it could be reconciled easily enough if some Germans came through along with the Romans or at some later point, but then that naturally raises the question of what happened to the Germans.

Just had a random thought; perhaps Alera/Carna is Earth, but the Alerans are not actually humans; the Alerans arrived from their homeworld and encountered the remnants of Roman civilization, which they ended up largely adopting. With all the frightening and far more powerful alien races running around the planet, it wouldn't be a surprise that humanity died out.

The lack of a map, which is usually a staple of fantasy novels and created worlds, and the fact that Butcher has not provided one despite requests that he do so seem to indicate that the lack of a map is a deliberate omission. It could certainly be argued that the reason no map is included is because showing a map would spoil the big reveal.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Butcher has said it multiple times; first at a convention interview session and then on his forums.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
  17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

All I know about the lack of maps is that I get confused as hell trying to figure out where the hell they are.

But I can understand the lost Legion idea Taure. It has merit and the Vord coming from space would not be a large leap.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Lol it's not my idea. I think it's crap. But it's what Butcher has said, so *shrug*.

19. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Pretty much as soon as they were introduced I assumed that the Vord were Space Bugs; the first thing they reminded me of when they showed up in Academ's Fury was the Zerg from Starcraft.

20. Skeletaure

High Score: