1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by PenguinAgen, Dec 29, 2015.

1. PenguinAgen

PenguinAgen Squib

High Score:
    How much of this exists?
    Fanfiction fanfiction as in writing fanfiction based on another fanfiction. Not so much a continuation of the story, but more one where the other fic is a basis for the new fic much like the Harry Potter books were for the old one.

I'm asking because I am currently writing (on 17k words) a story based on jbern's To Fight The Coming Darkness.

2. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Depends.

Actual stories, that explicitly are set in a Fanon verse, very little, but they exist.

Stories that treat Fanon as Canon: pretty much everyone. Everything from ice queen!daphne to magical trunks to the black family library to marriage contracts is part of the collective that's been built up by the fandom.

We're all writing derivatives of derivatives to some extent.

As long as you state what you're doing, nobody ought to give you trouble. And good luck.

4. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  5. samphyre

samphyre Squib

High Score:
  6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well, pick any given 50 Shades of Grey fic. That would be fanfic based on a novel that is adapted from a fanfiction based on Twilight...

7. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Which wasn't Twilight originally a Harry Potter fic? Or am I remembering wrong?

8. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry, Krum, Kira, Calypso, and Nathan are hanging out at Hogwarts during the Tri-Wizard tournament when suddenly, a mysterious pile of books show up in the Great Hall detailing Harry's life had his aunt Petunia, who he's only met once, had married a scientist and you-know-who had killed Harry's parents! Features not-a-twin!Harry, boy-who-lived!Harry.

Meanwhile, Fleur has a dream about life where... Harry introduces her to a portrait of Salazar Slytherin - wait, what!? And where does Romilda Vane fit into all of this, and why is she so fixated about Marietta Edgecomb?

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

You're probably thinking of Cassandra Clare's works.

10. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Huh, I remember that one. One of her works was the origin of Draco in Leather Pants.

Also, there are plenty of people that make reading fics about fairytaildragonslayer's Naruto fics.

Don't read them. Seriously.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  11. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Remember jlmil9? The guy who had those reading the books, involving James, Sirius, Remus and Lily? Someone did one where the next generation were reading about Jlmil9's characters reading the books. I remember, it was bold for Rowling text, italics for Jlmil9 text and normal for the author's text. Surprisingly, he actually managed to finsih the whole series. Of ourse, both series have since been banned.

By the way, are there any rules/laws about fanfiction of fanfiction? Like if the fanfiction author explicitly said no fanfiction of their fanfiction should be made.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No - because that's completely unenforceable and frankly, you'd have to be a complete douche to complain about it.

If someone wrote Harry reading I dunno, Lie I Lived, with his mates then as long as they gave clear credit to jbern, what could you possibly object about it? Or a step further, if someone wrote a story that was 'Nathan, not Harry goes to Durmstrang,' what is the actual problem?

Hell, a bunch of people back in the day wrote omakes, which is effectively a fanfiction fanfiction one-shot and the response was basically, 'wow, flattered. Thanks, peeps.'

Now if you framed it as a story-within-a-story and you were the original author of both stories, when you weren't, that would get reported.

13. tn5421

tn5421 Squib

FF.net: 4 in 1 to the power of infinity does it right, in my opinion. The author makes it no secret which verse it takes place in, and gives credit to the original author. (incidentially, takes place in Mahou mo ken by Enterprise1701-d if memory serves)

As long as you aren't using it as an excuse to claim another's work as your own, or try to sell it, you should be able to do more or less whatever else you would like.

That has no bearing on whether or not it will actually be good, but it wouldn't be morally wrong.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  14. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Doesn't pretty much every fandom have their own version of that My Immortal/Ebony Darkness fic?

The most recent one is Star Wars TFA starring Kylo Ren as Ebony.

15. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Off the top of my head the only fanfiction with derivatives I can think of is Dreaming of Spring in the Naruto fandom. The author has a ton in her favorites list.

For what you want to do I'm not sure how it would interact with DLPs rules on continuations without the authors permission. I personally feel if the fics done then its fine but you might want to check or ask a mod.

16. Mkis

Mkis Super Sleuth

Credit is not enough, they would need to have jbern's actual permission to do that. Otherwise he can demand it's removal. He has some ownership to the written execution of 'The Lie I Lived'.

Never understood the popularity of the whole read the books genre, where they copy JKR's books (or any other work) verbatim and add a few supposed-to-be-funny character comments. It's lacking all actual creativity and is only a waste of space, in addition to the copyright side.

But there are no issues in basing your work on a fanfiction if the writing is original. No-one really owns the ideas here.

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's true, and maybe jbern has enough clout to be listened to on it.

But if someone wrote a fanfiction that was, I dunno, Harry stumbling across Whatever Happened to Bromance? It's not as if my story would lose a single pair of eyeballs or review, so I think complaining about it would be a dick move.

We're talking traditional format of course: one or two lines of story, followed by a chunk of dialogue from the readers. Not "Harry found a book called, Whatever Happened to Romance. He read it. <Insert story>. "That was interesting," Harry thought. The end.

I can fully appreciate taking down stories that effectively rewrite the books themselves and throw in a line of commentary every couple of lines. But 'find a story' style fanfic of a fanfic - seems like a lot of effort to worry about for no real purpose. Especially if credited.

Actually - one proper example for the OP comes to mind: Jeconais wrote a fanfiction off of Ell Roche's Astoria one-shot.

18. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Learning About Life
    By: Aiedail Noir
    Harry always knew that Umbridge was trouble, but he never knew that she could destroy the world. Now they have to read a book to get their life back. At least it isn't his life that's getting read. Rahkesh, on the other hand, really hopes that none of his thoughts are offensive to Namach. A reading of Miranda Flairgold's A Second Chance at Life Trilogy. Adopted from shadowkass101.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Drama/Humor - Harry P., OC - Chapters: 3 - Words: 19,823 - Reviews: 11 - Favs: 16 - Follows: 20 - Updated: 6h ago - Published: Sep 2 - id: 11483067

19. Mkis

Mkis Super Sleuth

I'd be such a dick. Have never stumbled across a work that copies my own verbatim, but I would be pissed off if that happened. On the other hand, I wouldn't have any issues with someone writing a work based on mine - I've actually had a reader present scenes they'd written based on my material and it felt pretty amazing.

The bottom line is, the original author has every right to decide if they allow copying or not. Some do, some don't. The key is to ask and get their permission. At some point, our little troll also attempted to 'credit' original authors while plagiarizing their content, and all that crediting didn't save him from a ban.

I've seen fanfics that read books and fanfics which read fanfics. I'm only awaiting to see a fanfic, which reads a "read the book" fanfic. That'd be the next step in evolution.

20. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

You tempted me, and I gave in. I regret everything about my life so much.