1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Reviews

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Moridin, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Raining Ink

Raining Ink First Year

I honestly don't get many reviews that would qualify as "worst reviews." I've got some great regular reviewers who give excellent criticism for every chapter. I love these guys. I even like the ones who write "moar plz."

Hostile reviews don't usually bug me, but this is just weird:

"You people"...so, now I'm a wannabe aristocrat "closet queer" who believes in magic.

This review was obviously written by a mudblood. All the purebloods love my story and my gay agenda.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

3. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is just sad. I've read your story (It's quite good actually, Snape's POV in the most recent chapter was just plain epic), and while it sometimes feels borderline slashy it's only because people expect a story like that to be slash. There are very few Indy!Harry & Draco friendships, and almost none of them are done well.
    And what the hell's with the 'pureblood agenda' tangent? ;)

4. Raining Ink

Raining Ink First Year

Well, I was actually referring more to the fact that I was accused of being a blood supremacist. Over a fictional work. Because apparently I'm deluded enough to believe that I'm a member of the Harry Potter aristocracy. Right.

A lot of people have the same complaint about "slashiness" actually, so that didn't seem so far fetched; though the "closet queer" comment was a bit unfair. (I'm not into other girls.) I can even see where they're correct. Rewrites are in the future. I've been trying to step away from that in the latest chapters, and complaints have largely dwindled.

Thanks, jaded. ;)

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

In relation to the OP, I really wish I could enjoy fanfiction like that, much like as an athiest, I really wish God exists. It would just make everything seem brilliant

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Ah, I know I've gotten one from "ROBERT-19588" now I just got to go find it again. I don't remember it too much other than he was suggesting something that blatantly was never going to happen in my story

-edit-

Granted, this is from the first story I ever wrote, and coincidently my worst.

And for those curious, the answer is no to all the above, obviously. (There is no "Harry is heir of X, Staves instead of wands, bonding of any kind, plot significant animal languages other than snake")

Another.

times 16! You know how annoying it is, waking up in the morning thinking you got 16 new, unique and refreshing reviews, but instead you just got the guy saying the same thing for every chapter. Actually, make that 25 times total, because he did the same thing for the sequel.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  7. Lecter

Lecter Seventh Year

Robert-19588's dedication is admirable. Hmm, perhaps I should start writing reviews suggesting that the author include moar Hermione/Slughorn and Hermione/Fudge smut in their fic.

8. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Ask and you shall receive

MAY YOUR SWORD STAY SHARP BRAH

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. Malevolence

Malevolence Squib

...He reviewed without even reading the chapter...:confused:

10. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

He wasn't actually interested in reading it... he was just interested in an excuse for masochism, by the look of it.

11. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Maybe "The Physician" is supposed to be "The Doctor"? *shrugs*

Okay, this is going to be a bit embarrassing, but whatever. "May your sword stay sharp" is what Christopher Paolini closes with in the emails that he periodically sends out. That's probably where that reviewer got it from. (Yes, I am subscribed to the official Eragon mailing-list. >_>)

12. Malevolence

Malevolence Squib

Don't be embarrassed. Eragon was a fantastic book, IMO. I can't say the same for Eldest, though. I'm not quite sure what put me off about that book, but it just didn't feel right for some reason.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Lol, that's right. I forgot that. It's Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass in the Ancient Language.

/has no problems knowing that, since everyone know about his Eragon FF anyway

Edit: Uh now, let's not be hasty. I enjoyed Eragon very much, but then I was looking for standard high-fantasy stuff. I like it, but I like my own fic too -- the difference is not as great as it should be.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  14. iMessing

iMessing First Year DLP Supporter

Oz ... your fics on that account are evil .

15. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

There's a official Eragon mailing-list.

/goes off to find this.

16. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    i don't quite understand why everyone hates on Eragon. i rather enjoyed, and got into an e-argument with someone who insisted that Eragon was a psychopath. Once I countered every one of his points, he resorted to insults. Sure, it's not high fantasy or all that original, but it's a good read, and there are worse books.

17. silverlasso

WTF?! I had no idea you had any Eragon FF. *goes to read your fic*

Voilà. http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/eragon/signup.htm

True enough. Eragon definitely is a good read, and I'm certainly anticipating reading the conclusion when it comes out (this fall?). There are a lot of things to like about it; Christopher Paolini is competent enough and adds his own flair to basic high-fantasy material.

It's a shame that slash has pretty much taken over the fandom...

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You could make an argument that that's the case for the HP fandom as well, to be honest.

19. silverlasso

I think the percentage of slash fics is much higher for Eragon, though. Who knows, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

20. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I never really thought Eragon was a psychopath or anything, I just never really got used to the style of writing Paolini employs. Sure, there are worse books, but then I don't read those either. There's just something about his style, can't really put a finger on it, that seems a little... unrefined? to me. I read Eldest for the same reason I finished the HP books - to see what was happening in the story. For Brisingr, I didn't even bother - just went to the Wikipedia page after a few days.

But yeah, it's not a bad book by any account. And I never had any problems with the characterisation. What exactly were the points this guy used, if you remember?