1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2 has already been written by JK Rowling, and is tentatively scheduled for release in November of 2018. I figured since the first movie is out and has been seen by some we could discuss our theories for the sequel here and post news as it comes out.

Link1
    and Link2

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's going to be placed in France, right? Then I expect few things to be included.

A magical Paris with a complete different feel to it compared to London or New York.

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic to show up in some scenes.

Fleur's grandmother to be in it, maybe even as one of the main characters. She is a magical creature and her (scandalous?) affair with a wizard could be focus of the film.

If Dumbledore is going to be involved then his most famous French connection could be too. Nicolas Flamel is perfect choice for a role of Albus' friend and mentor.

3. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

I feel as though Newt's old girlfriend (Lena Lestrange) could have a interesting role in the film, but it would likely not be that big . That being said, the film could skip to 1940 and have the Nazi invasion be a subplot, though I find the latter unlikely. Instead, I believe that Grindelwald (having escaped near the beginning or before the film starts) will be believed to have some sought of a connection in France. No idea how this would factor into the overall plot, but seeing as how we have no actual hard facts yet wild speculation is to be expected. ;)
    Here's a question:
    How much of the Dumbledore-Grindelwald connection do you think will be revealed in the sequel? All of it and us learning more about how they feel about each other in later instalments or will it not be touched on that much?
    Personally I feel as though the movie will have each of the powerhouses acknowledging a connection in the film and the history being revealed near the end, and the 3 later sequels exploring the connection and the complexity of it.

---------- Post automerged 20-11-2016 at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 19-11-2016 at 03:51 PM ----------

From the original thread, we have news on the sequel:
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1587480/fantastic-beasts-2-wont-be-set-entirely-in-paris
    https://www.bustle.com/articles/194...the-start-for-the-new-character-says-director
    Also, Nerdman3000 raised a good point: Grindelwald doesn't have the Elder Wand anymore. As such, I believe Fantastic Beasts 2 will be focusing on Grindelwald's hunt for Newt, the one who restrained him and forced him to drop his wand, and who now has control of the Elder Wand. It's also possible that this is why they are in Britain for a bit; instead of my original belief that it starts of there and Newt travels to France for some beast-related reason, Newt is forced back from France in order to seek help from the greatest Wizard in the world: Albus Dumbledore:sherlock:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, Jared Harris would be a great Dumbledore. On the topic of casting, it occurred to me last night that Nikolaj Coster Waldau would have been the perfect Grindelwald. He looks right, he sounds right, and he's capable of hitting the right mix of menace and arrogance while also managing to win over a slight amount of sympathy.

5. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I don't know, I imagine Nikolaj would just do a Jaime Lannister 2: Magic Boogaloo. I think Hayden Christensen could make a pretty good Grindelwald, at least in looks, but it will also likely be a call-back to those atrocious prequels.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shut up and take my money, Taure.

7. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

At some point we should expect Krum's grandfather to show up, right? There's a character we know about from canon that actively fought Grindelwald.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Newt's return to Britain plays up some family drama. We've got the rather oblique reference to Newt's war hero brother, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's developed in the sequel. And, of course, you don't hire Zoe Kravitz to play Leta Lestrange if you don't eventually use her for something.

Despite what a lot of people have been saying about Fantastic Beasts being a self-contained story, I actually do think think there's quite a lot of sequel hooks imbedded in there. Modesty's wand, Grindelwald regaining the loyalty of the Elder Wand, Leta Lestrange, the Scamander brother, reuniting with Tina, Dumbledore, etc. There's still quite a lot of threads open for exploration based on what we know of the future.

8. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Well from my point of view the muggles are evil!

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm curious to find out if Leta Lestrange is considered a blood traitor?
    As I said before in the other Fantastic Beasts thread:

I had an interesting thought about Depp as Grindelwald. What do people think if in every sequel Grindelwald is played by a different actor until the final showdown. Grindlewald as a shape shifter/metamophmagus could be an interesting premise.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

For Grindelwald I picture the guy who play Holmes older brother on the new BBC Holmes series.

11. LoyalFenian

LoyalFenian Fourth Year

Mycroft? Definitely not, Grindelwald is supposed to be handsome and charismatic.

12. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've not seen the film yet, so trying to avoid spoilers, but heard from a friend who works for pottermore that the sequel is going to be set in France, not sure if this was confirmed previously but thought I would share :)

13. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Why would she? because she dated a Hufflepuff? Do we know Newt's blood status?

Only a Death Eater deals in absolutes.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

It was simply a random thought with no evidence to back it up. However Newt does seep like a tolerant person according to the movie, and we know from canon that the Lestranges are noted for having a fanatical view of muggles and those who are tolerant of muggles.

15. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

16. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ^This. I suppose he's quite tall, and blue eyed...still, happier with this casting than Depp, to be fair.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jude Law is a good actor and I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of doubt, but now that I think about it, I would have liked to see him as Grindelwald. After seeing The Young Pope I think he makes a good manipulator on screen.

20. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

I kinda have mixed feelings about this choice tbh, while it isn't a awful choice there were many actors who imo were much more fitting choices like Jarred Harris, Mc Gregor etc. who could pull of all facets of Dumbledores character.

I haven't seen that many films with Law and while I think he can pull of the charm I am not sure if he can get Dumbledores quirkiness, mischievousness or his intellectuality right.

He also seems a bit to handsome to play Dumbledore which was kinda obvious since it is a blockbuster but still.... kinda neutral on this right know he is a decent enough actor but I guess we will just have to see even if he doesn't resemble my mental image of a young Dumbledore at all.