1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    ... A sperg?

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I think BTT was referring to Asperger's syndrome, a version of autism.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Colloquial slang for someone with autism.

4. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I figured, it's just that I, being an Asperger, was interested to know whether that was a kind of slur or just a matter of shortening down the name of my diagnosis. Not to seem completely prone to preconception of anything or about anyone, but I've experienced being judged and labeled because of the diagnosis, so I react a bit spontaneously when I see or hear things that might indicate someone have a low opinion on people like me just for having Asperger's.

Sorry if I ought to have made that clearer, and my apologies if I've offended anyone. I don't mean to imply anything about anyone, really, I'm just kind of cautious.

5. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Sorry for double post, but...

Newt Scamander had his traveler's permit rejected by the Ministry of Magic for being uncooperative and reluctant to share details about the reason behind his last excursion overseas - as we can see from props photos on Pottermore (easier to find on the harrypotter wikia). Yet, Newt goes to France. I think I know how: Do you remember Newt riding on the back of a grindelyow (sure I misspelled that) or whatever that creature was underwater in the trailer? I think he traveled to France through the Great Lake at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

As Rowling once said: "The lake is the setting for the second task that the Triwizard competitors must face in Goblet of Fire, which is also my favourite task. I find it satisfyingly creepy; I like the diversity of the methods employed by the competitors to breathe underwater, and I enjoyed plumbing the depths of a part of the grounds that had never been seen before. In the original draft of Chamber of Secrets, I had Harry and Ron crash into the lake in Mr Weasley's Ford Anglia, and meet the merpeople there for the first time. At that time I had a vague notion that the lake might lead to other places, and that the merpeople might play a larger role in the later books than they did, so I thought that Harry ought to be introduced to both at this stage. However, the Whomping Willow provided a more satisfying, less distracting crash, and served a later purpose in Prisoner of Azkaban, too. The Great Lake (which is really a Scottish loch, apparently freshwater and landlocked) never did develop as a portal to other seas or rivers, although the appearance of the Durmstrang ship from its depths in Goblet of Fire hints at the fact that if you are travelling by an enchanted craft, you might be able to take a magical shortcut to other waterways."

Leave it to Dumbledore to find a way for Newt to travel to other countries without the Ministry being able to detect him! :-D

I think there is something there, guys! :-D

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is something that has been speculated on in every Youtube deconstruction of the trailer since its release but you're right to bring it up here.

Personally I had believed the Kelpie to be bringing him from Dover to France but I'm chill with them giving more Hogwarts time.

7. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I haven't really watched many trailer deconstructions, but I can't say I'm all that surprised that I'm not the only one to have reached that conclusion. By the way, why do you think it's from Dover to France?

8. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

The second trailer has been revealed at San Diego Comic Con.

The most stand out aspects to me are the Mirror of Erised, and how Dumbledore almost sound like he's holding back tears when he's telling Grindelwald how muggles "are not disposable" (maybe as a flashback?).
    Grindelwald himself seems to be much better than many feared after the first Fantastic Beasts, not just because of his incredible magic prowess in his escape scene but also his rational, calm and collected speech. Also, the scene where Grindelwald is addressing a collection of Wizards (ICW? Probably not his followers given how they're dressed and what he's saying) is the same place where Newt and his brother confront Grindelwald.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Jonny Depp is looking really good so far in this film. Hopefully we are back to first Pirates Depp instead of some of the trash he later put out. The man is a great actor if he is trying. I have hope he will deliver an amazing performance.

I am really looking forward to this movie! The Flamel introduction will probably make 99.9% of all fics that used the character non-canon since it seems Rowling took the approach that the Water of Life doesn't keep you in very good condition as you age, but hopefully the character actually gets some expanding upon and not be in the movie for two minutes. I would like to know more about Flamel. The magic also looks pretty good so far. Its fascinating to see the world from an adult's eyes and not through children. Hopefully the movie delivers.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm so happy with that trailer that I don't even care that Dumbledore has been made DADA teacher.

Edits:

The woman we see with the three vicious looking cat-things - she kinda has a similar look to Nicolas Flamel. I wonder if she's Perenelle.

Also it looks like the movie is going to open with an epic action sequence of Grindelwald not just escaping but also fighting a large number of Aurors in the sky. That's going to be amazing and get the movie off to such a strong start.

Also I thought Newt's fear was going to be homework, which I think would have been a snappier line. Oh well.

Music in FB1 was good but this sounds like they've really stepped up their game.

Leta Lestrange: great "you never met a monster you couldn't love" line, but I worry about how the whole Newt-Tina-Leta love triangle will fit in with the rest of the movie, which is about much more serious matters than relationship drama.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit. I cannot contain my hype. Flamel!

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This trailer doesn't hype me that much about this film as about the fifth one where I suppose we will get that legendary duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. Unless they decide to go with "legendary" approach and instead a proper duel, that will turn out to be a just that, a legend, we will get some trick that will allow Albus to get the Elder Wand without fighting.

13. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm going to remain cautious with Depp as Grindelwald. He looks interesting here, but I've grown to instantly distrust anything Depp. He's been doing the same Jack Sparrow shtick for 15 years, his interviews depict him as an aging has-been, and in the #MeToo age should we really be letting someone accused of abusing his own wife in such a prominent role?

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it. I've become quite fond of Newt, the not-Depp cast is all fantastic, and some of the sets and action scenes look quite entertaining.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Some more thoughts:

• Coming around to Depp as Grindelwald. The look is better (silly mustache gone and he's lost weight) but it's still a bit too clown-like. Nonetheless, his voice is great and it looks like he's carrying himself with charisma and gravitas. Cautiously optimistic.

• Flamel as eccentric and frail works. There's always needed to be a reason why Flamel does not play a greater role in events. It's not my favourite route, but using him as comic relief is novel.
    • So glad they're not going the "Grindelwald and Hitler were buddies" route that fanon has assumed since forever, even though JKR was saying as early as 2005 that there was no causal link between Grindelwald and Hitler/the Nazis, it's just that wizarding and Muggle worlds mirror each other.

• Who is the person saying "You underestimate your talents, Mr Scamander"? Accent sounds Germanic, but not Depp's voice.

• Love the enchanted glove pointing Newt to Dumbledore and then apparating him there. Nice link to Dumbledore's magic pointing Ron to Harry and Hermione in DH and apparating him to them.
    • Grindelwald's line "magic blooms only in rare souls" makes me wonder if JKR is backtracking on magic being genetic. If so, good.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I highly doubt she would. If anything it'll turn out to be, "it blooms in rare souls, but it's genetic after that". And then squibs will be extra bland souls that magic basically says "No way. Fuck this guy."

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Super hype tbh. It seems that Grindelwald will actually work. Not sure if it's subtle changes or if he's just grown on us, but I like what they're doing with him.

17. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

I'm super worried they're going to just do the priori incantatem effect, have Dumbledore say some vague inspiring quotes, and then that's it. I hope they go all out for that duel, have it last a good 5-10 minutes, but I don't have that much hope.

18. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

It's unfair to judge Depp based on the pirates movies, in the first ones he put in some effort but he seemed to grow more bored with the character as the franchise progressed and I don't blame him for that, those were some massive paychecks he cashed in even if the movies were shit. He's proven many times over that he has more in his bag of tricks than the typical Tim Burton/Disney wackyness. If he can channel even half the ruthless menace he showed in Black Mass for this franchise he's gonna steal the show in every fucking scene.

That said I will miss Farrel, he would have been awesome as Newt's own nemesis for this franchise leaving Grindelwald for Dumbledore. Dunno what to feel about what appears to be Newt butting heads with Gellert the whole franchise until the legendary duel presumably takes place in the last movie. He got lucky in the first one, if he's in a stand-up fight against Gellert and lasts longer than 2 seconds I'm gonna be disappointed.

Oh and here's a new poster.[​IMG]

Whose the dude next to Grindelwald?

EDIT: Went over the cast on IMDB and I think he's supposed to be a character called Grimmson
    EDIT2: And the other two I think are Mrs. Lestrange Vinda Rosier and Torquil Travers
    EDIT3: Can't find anyone in the cast-list who'd be a match in age (or stature) for the tiny woman but given that she's standing next to Nicholas she's probably Perenelle even though there's no Perenelle listed in the cast, part-goblin you think?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Fuck no. Transfiguration or gtfo. Otherwise yeah. I'm pretty hype. I was wary leaving the first movie and coming into this but the transition seems to be going better than I expected.

20. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I think the trailer looks pretty good. I'm hyped, though I wish Rowling hadn't gone the direction she went with Flamel. Rather ruins the mystique of ancient, quasi-immortal wizards.

And now my pedantic complaint: Why is Dumbledore not taller? Canon Dumbledore is explicitly tall. Make Jude Law wear lifts if you have to! /End pedantism (I know it's not a word).