1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you are outraged that Dumbledore actually used muggle clothing when visiting a muggle orphanage.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Hmm, but I'm not talking about the suit in the orphanage, I'm talking about he using suit at Hogwarts in the trailer. Unless that's not Hogwarts.

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Most likely, yeah. You could maybe argue his perspective was colored by the penseive, but Occam's Razor says JKR probably meant long by more modern standards.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't mind he clothes at all. It's clearly a decision to enhance the feeling of the story taking place in a certain era, something robes would not be able to do.

5. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

But they're gonna interact with the muggle world in some manner in every movie, let the muggles be the calendar and keep the wizards authentic.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't fucking believe I have to, but I will.

The original 8 movies were an adaptation. Adapting allows for changing certain things from the source material that would perhaps not translate well to the film medium.

The new movies are written by Rowling. I think it's safe to assume that they at least asked her what she thinks about costume design, even in passing. There's also the issue of continuity between the two series.

I suppose for you, @TheLazyReader, the only acceptable proper wizard robes in the movies are that stupid fucking curtain Voldemort wore and maybe Harris Dumbledore's (he looked like a priest of some funny religion).

The Wizarding World is not entirely and totally divorced from the muggle one. Arthur Weasley, who doesn't know what a fucking rubber duck is for, charmed a car to fly and become invisible. Malfoys presumably use the Wireless. The celebrating wizards in the first chapter of PS stood out to Vernon because they wore cloaks, not because they were dressed in something so bizarre that they should have been mistaken for an ancient cult.

It is entirely conceivable that wizards wear suits, or that some of what they call robes bears resemblance to muggle fashion as we know it. HP isn't set in a fantasy RPG world.

We get it, you're butthurt that wizard fashion isn't more like flamboyant drapes. You said it, we heard you, now shut the fuck up.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's a pretty valid point when it comes to costume design. Being authentic to the source material is nice, but some things that work in one medium just don't translate well to film. Describing it in text and making it look good on film are two very different things.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The way I see it, fashion may well be a site of contention between different political factions in Wizarding Britain. Hence why I like seeing Dumbledore and others in what could, with limited knowledge, be cautiously described as modern attire, as it gives a nice visual contrast to the time of the books in terms of visual stimulus and possible in-universe reasons for that kind of development, while I am, like other people, wondering what it all means.

There is a whole range of possibilities here on a sociocultural level the filmmakers could play with. People could be setting a statement of their political beliefs with what they wear (even though that sounds an awful lot like Indy!Harry walking into Gringotts in a shirt and jeans). Maybe people just didn't give a damn back then. The (presumably) Auror crew that comes to Hogwarts in the trailer doesn't even have something remotely akin to a uniform. Or it is possible that the fad for robes we see described in the books was a reaction to Voldemort's first rise and the need to look properly inoffensive and traditional when in public, lest the Death Eaters won't be bothered to knock next time they are in the area, although we probably wouldn't see that explanation in the New(t) films.

Or maybe the costume people just went with what looked nice and JKR went along with it because why not.

Point is, right now we know very little so let's not rip our heads off when we are one-film-and-a-trailer into a five-film project. There is plenty of time for that when we know more.

9. TheLazyReader

@ScottPress Hmm, no sweetie, this isn't your hugbox (or perhaps it is?). If this is the thread about the movie, I'll complain about the movie as I damn well please. If I'm breaking the rules by doing so, the mods can take it up to me.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're not breaking any rules that I can think of except being exceptionally annoying.

11. TheLazyReader

Well, too bad, init? Imagine this forum being composed only of messages that make you feel good.

12. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'm aware that clothes have fluctuated a fair bit on the tight-boxy spectrum over the last century, but did they fit so snugly back then? I could be wrong, but it seems that they've opted for a more modern look. Stranger Things did it too. Most of the characters wear tighter fits that would actually be fashionable today. Compare that to The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller, where the cuts are noticeably baggier/looser.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much. I just hope the film isn't completely Newt-centric. He was rather bland in the first film. Excited to see this cockier side of Dumbledore through Jude Law.

Off the top of my head, I can only recall this scene from Order of the Phoenix. I love how he casually lifts his finger. Super casual exit.

13. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I forgot how much I actually enjoyed Dumbledore in the movies. He really does have style.

Now I want to rewatch the series.

14. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In the book the scene was more impressive, he knocked everyone out, stopped to chat with Harry and than made his exit.

The cloths thing is an improvement, the Death Eaters were idiotic cultists, it was reflected in their chosen attire, meh anyway.
    Newt himself wasn't much impressive in the first movie, he seems to have some weird issues and ticks.
    More baddass wizards or witches scenes are welcome

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I am waiting for a program to process at work and saw some videos that dug deeper into the trailer.

There has been a very interesting theory that seems pretty credible due to the evidence supporting it. I'm putting this in spoilers, just in case people don't want to know:

It seems like we are going to learn a lot about the Lestranges, as Leta Lestrange (the girl Newt loved who is now engaged to his brother) appears, along with Newt's brother. And...

Credence may be a Lestrange, the result of an affair from Leta's father. At one point in the trailer, Dumbledore is looking at a family tree, that looks to support this. Credence name would have been something like: 'Corvus Lestrange.'

This ties in with the girl Credence is with when he is controlling the Obscurus (which is very interesting on its own).

Apparently, she is a Maledictus, someone who has cursed to turn into a beast.

There is a huge theory that she becomes Nagini. There is an old Greek tale (which we all know Rowling loves), that talks about a crow or raven (Corvus means crow/raven) who finds a snake when hungry. The crow eats the snake, but is poisoned by the bite and dies. The crazy part is the person who translated this tale, is Roger L'Estrange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_and_the_Snake

All-in-all, there is a theory that these two are going to be some of Voldemort's first supporters. I could see Credence easily buying into Voldemort's message after all the shit he's been through.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Nagini point doesn't work so well. I mean, JKR could always retrospectively change canon, especially where it's based not on the books but her previous statements, but as-is, Voldemort did not acquire Nagini until after his first fall.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm surprised at how many people are liking this Dumbledore.

His whole dialogue felt stilted and bland in the Trailer.

Jude Law feels like he's lacking depth and does not fit my mental image of a young dumbedore at all.

Idk...I didn't care much for the first fantastic beasts and everything I'm seeing about the next one is just making me cringe.

18. TheLazyReader

I just re-read the King's Cross chapter in the last book. Dumbledore said he didn't move against Grindelwald out of a personal decision. That he feared finding something about the death of his sister. Like, there isn't anything stopping him, except himself. Wonder if they'll play that angle in the movies, and how.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be fascinated if they had Dumbledore be an influencing factor in Neville Chamberlain's actions or lack thereof...

But I doubt they are willing to associate Dumbledore's passivism with the widely deride Chamberlain.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having rematched the trailer a few times I'm fond of the theory that the Mnistry tries to bar Newt's travel to France at Dover and Newt uses the Kelpie to cross the channel. That would place the scene with Dumbledore at Hogwarts later than the scene of Dumbledore and Scamander on St. Paul's cathedral in London.