1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate Stay Night / Fate Zero stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, thanks to Ryuugi Shi and his awesome Percy Jackson / Fate Zero crossover, I got hooked to Fate Zero, watching the new anime series and with it, into Fate / Stay Night.

Now, there are far more Fate /Stay Night stories than fate Zero, which is a shame because to me, Fate Zero, from what I have seen (all 13 or so episodes that are out now) is superior in every way. That said, I don't dislike Fate / Stay Night, however, I immensely dislike Shiro.

Now, are there good, quality stories, crossover or not, without Shiro? Or at least, very little Shiro. Can't stand that fucker.

2. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

There is The World Without, which is in our library . It features the Shirou dying really early in the War, so the amount of Shirou is fairly low. I think it's pretty interesting.

I don't know any good pure Fate/Zero verse stories. Sorry.

3. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Go play Heaven's Feel route of F/SN visual novel and marvel at the awesomeness that is Shirou.

Also there are more of F/SN fanfiction because it has been almost 6 year since the anime aired. We can expect to see more Fate/Zero soon.

The only fanfiction I have read are the one from the library.

4. Nemrut

High Score:
    I am aware of the library but most are Shiro centric, hence me posting here. Thanks for the rec, though. I think I started reading that one and dropped it for some reason, will give it another chance.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

If you are hooked onto Fate/Stay Night, I recommend you just download the Visual Novel and go through that. It will definitely be worth your time, as the Unlimited Blade Works/ Heaven's Feels route are infinitely better than the Fate route (which the anime features). I always find the Fate route more as an introduction over anything else. But yeah, spending time reading the visual novel will be time much better spent than reading fanfictions

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Tainted Ideals - after the end of 4th Grail War Kotomine Kirei finds and raise Shirou instead of Kiritsugu. Long, well written, Shirou is changed is such a way to be different then his canon counterpart, but not to different to be considered an OC.

And it has Illya going all Ally of Justice a'la Sailor Moon, with Saber trying to contain her :awesome

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Alternatively, if you don't want to play the VN, this site is perfect: Let's Play Fate/Stay Night

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  8. Nemrut

High Score:
    Thanks

/10char

9. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Meh, if you read through all that, I still suggest the VN. It's fully voiced for one thing. But, it's better than nothing.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Only the PSX version was voiced yeah? I don't think the pcb version was....mine isn't at least.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The PC version isn't voiced, but you can easily find the Realta Nua patch that adds them.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

If you don't like the Shirou from the anime, you will love him in this. He is, basically, a different character, but none of that love stuff he was spouting or protecting everyone. Good read with updates every few months.

13. fire

fire Order Member

I recommend the following, though indubitably many of these are already known to you FSN fans.

Fictional

Harry Potter is summoned by Caster. Extremely strong in terms of plot and characterizations; language and grammar is rather good too.

Tainted Ideals

Shirou as he would be, if raised by Kirei. Strong plot and characterization; language and grammar do not pose much of a problem.

Fate ReNight

Shirou time-travels back to the beginning of the Fuyuki Grail War. Excellent plot, and the characterization ranges from the good to the clever; however, the writing can be clunky and awkward at times (i.e. does not really resemble the thinkingand speaking patterns of real people; reads too much like a formal, dry descriptive rendition of events).

From Fake Dreams

Kiritsugu dreams about the events of the 5th Grail War, and thus proceeds to prepare Shirou for it. Plot-wise, it is rather good, but is has tended to meander recently. Characterization is extremely strong, and I did like the OCs. The writing is largely acceptable but I do remember some minor flaws.

Escaping Fate

Shirou and Rin save a small girl from the inhumane experiments of a mage. Not very remarkable in terms of plot, but characterization and writing is good enough to pull the story up. I believe the author (Arashi Leonhart) has written some other relatively palatable FSN fanfiction - do visit his FF.Net profile.

If anyone's interested, I'm working on my own FSN fanfic - it should be posted soon - and I am confident of it being good.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Meh, I never saw the appeal of Tainted Ideals - it seems so dull, and Fake Dreams is cheesy as hell.

I'd second World Without Me (favorite FSN fic) and Fictional for things with less of a Shirou focus.

To add another FSN fic that people haven't mentioned, Lancer Gets Serious is surprisingly good, despite the name and the first few chapters (which are pretty much more comical more than anything). But it does start building real plot later on. Does have some Shirou in it - particularly in later chapters, but is largely focused on Lancer.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    I liked the Lancer story, even if it does have trouble keeping a tone, it seems to jump from time to time.

Thanks for that.

I have to say, after the Skyrim /Fate Stay Night crossover with Saber being the Dragon born, this one is my favorite.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6995539/1/Alexandriad_The_Song_of_Fire

It's a crossover with Familiar of Zero and the main character there summons Iskander. I don't know that much about Familiar of Zero but the author has nailed Iskander perfectly. Only three chapters so far but definitely worth checking out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Whoa, yet another Zero no Tsukaima crossover.

There's Gabriel_blessing's Hill of Swords (Shirou-centric, very lengthy fic which started good and then just seemed to go on and on...) and Like a King (Archer-centric, comedy fic which only has a few chaps up, but pretty funny so far).

Now we have a Rider one. I'll give it a go. =P

17. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

18. Nemrut

High Score:
    I enjoyed the hell out of Hill of Swords which really surprised me and I didn't mind its length at all. I would even say that it could have gone at least one chapter longer. Excellent story, imo. Making me like Shirou is no small feat.

Like a King, well, reading it after Hill of Swords and Alexandriad, it is disappointing. The author is kind of clumsy when portraying other characters. I didn't really believe most of the interactions. Gilgamesh was kind of accurate but still not close enough. I really believe that he would have killed his "master" and not just half-assed a try.

The Third Magic is actually really enjoyable as well, I d'awwwed at Ilya summoning again. That said, I am not so sure on the portrayal of Berserker in that story.

I think there is another one where Diarmund is the one summoned but that one is just one chapter and doesn't compare to the more competent ones, at least not now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  19. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Well if you liked Hill of Swords check out Gabriel blessings FSN/Sekirei crossover fic, http://m.fanfiction.net/s/6556187/1/In_Flight In Flight. Writing and story is a bit more polished after Hill of Swords.

Most people here don't seem to like the slow and wordy pacing, but it's my favourite FSN fic if you include crossovers, and currently probably the fanfic I get most excited about when I see an update.

Once again Shirou centric, but pretty much same character as in Hill of Swords.

20. Nemrut

High Score:
    Will do so after reading The World without and wiki-ing Sekirei. Know next to nothing about that manga.