1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate Stay Night / Fate Zero stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Jan 17, 2012.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes, but not as much as you'd probably want it to. The Nasuverse elements have so far been interferences in the Sekirei plot, but haven't made a great deal of difference overall. I doubt any Servants will appear, except perhaps for Saber. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Enforcer hit squad or some other action from the Mage's Association levelled against Shirou. He's already had several run-ins with OCs from Nasuverse.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I am actually surprised on how much I like this. At least the author tries to flash out the servants and their relationships and interactions a lot more and gave this some thought.

Especially the interaction between the two main knights is really interesting.

A bit harsh man, while this may not be library worthy, it is a bit above average. Sure, it has a lot of problems and the writing is a bit wasteful/clunky at times but as far as HP / F/SN crossover go, this one is the best so far.

Or that is just my F/SN craze talking xD

Edit: you are absolutely right, Fictional is better, totally forgot that one. Probably because those two are very different kinds of crossover.

Phase Shift, I find to be poorly done, simply because the Harry in that one acts like a complete asshat towards Saber for no real reason. I also find the constantly angry Ron to be very forced, that one gets a 2/5 from me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Fictional is by far superior to Fate Ingens Cor, IMO. But, to each his own I guess.

What if Almost Everybody was Shirou's Servant - Mereo Flare: Pretty much a crack fic so YMMV, but I enjoyed this a lot. 4/5 from me.

Timeline of Fate - TypeMoonFreak: Shirou gets sent back in time to King Arthur's time. Pretty good, but Saber's interest in Shirou seems kind of forced. 3.5/5.

Chaos Theory - Moczo: Shirou's talk with Ilya goes differently the first time around changing the whole War. Not much has happened yet so it's pretty fluffy now. I expect more action to happen in the near future. 5/5.

Phase Shift - Bloodhawk 248: Harry summons Arturia after both Hermione and Ron leave him on the Horcrux Hunt. There's a confusing dream sequence in the most recent chapter and it seems like it's going to become a multi-cross. For what's out now though, 4/5.

4. Nemrut

High Score:
    Just read Timeline of Fate and I have to agree with you, Arthur's interest does seem forced and all in all, Shirou's rapid acceptance into court is rather unbelievable.

Not to mention he converts back into douche Shirou as soon as he learns that Arthur is a woman. "Girls shouldn't fight" and whatnot, even though he knows firsthand that she can kick his ass with both arms tied behind her back.

Chaos Theory was enjoyable but didn't particularly stand out. The "dates" with Ilya, while amusing, were a bit uncomfortable. Yeah, something should happen soon.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just got up to date in that.

To be honest, I thought it was horrid and I just wasted the last few hours and a good portion of my sleep time reading it. It was pretty much just watching Ichigo stomp every Servant. That and I just don't think as a crossover concept it was a good idea.

I dunno why what I'd have thought as a more obvious crossover, that is, the crossover character getting summoned isn't more common. Ichigo as a Servant would've been a lot more interesting than what that story covered.

I can extend that to a lot of other crossovers, like a Naruto one I read ages ago where unlike Fate Eternia (where he is summoned), he lives in Japan for some reason and summons Saber (pretty much taking Shirou's place in the story). It was also shit.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Timeline of Fate I read awhile back and didn't enjoy it at all. As people have said, Arturia's interest in Shirou felt forced and he just had too much of an easy journey. It would've been better if he had been left to fend for himself a bit longer (Like Harry Potter and the Assassin's Creed) and maybe eventually worked his way up to being in Camelot.

Him being summoned as a second Saber really annoyed me as well.

Phase Shift was...alright. Don't really have much to say about it except Harry is an annoying, whiny bitch and Krum is a boss. At least there's don't really do any Ron and Hermione bashing (which is what I was worried the author was hinting at).

What if Everyone Was Shirou's Servant is well, crack. I do admit though, I laughed at pretty much at all the "Is Lancer Gay?" scenes. =P

Here's another one I've been following for a while:

Continuation of the Dream by Caphriel - Pretty much Saber wakes up after the Grail War after Fate, but survives. No epic battles or anything yet - just her trying to live in a remote town while pretending to be a boy. It's pretty well written, and pacing is pretty interesting. I do hope it does eventually build up to something more epic though.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Well, one thing to check out is Remember by Golden Lark. It's not up yet on FFN, as far as I know, and there's only one chapter thus far. I like what's there though and it seems to be getting a decent response from spacebattles. Definitely some epic potential for later.

The basic premise is "GARcher replaces Gilgamesh in the 4th Holy Grail War". There's simply not enough yet to see any awesome scenes, but I fully expect EMIYA to go into full-on troll mode and just fuck with everyone.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

YES! I've been thinking about this concept ever since Fate Zero aired - "What would Counter Guardian Emiya do?"

This could be full of so much win. I hope we get more updates soon to start fleshing out the proper plot. As someone in that thread replied - Ionian Hetairoi vs Unlimited Blade Works is gonna be epic.

9. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

How is that any different from Rider vs Gilgamesh?

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Cooler background? :p

Yeah largely the same apart from that I imagine.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    Personally, I don't see Emiya adding much to that scenario, unless he does the same what Percy did in Holding Back the Sea and make a Sakura rescue pretty early on.

Well, maybe as a comedy with him being a dick to pretty much everyone there, seeing that, well, everyone would kind of deserve it.

I would rather see Rider summoned in Fate Stay Night and completely overwhelming the people there. Heck, if Rin summons him, his stats would actually be better. I mean, I didn't get the feeling that Waver is in the same ballpark as Rin was.

Edit: after reading it, well, it starts good enough, but not enough to judge yet. I just hope he has something interesting planned.

Continuation of a Dream I liked, however, I am a tad bit disappointed in the direction the story goes.

I would have preferred if it stayed in the Middle Ages and had Saber reclaiming her kingdom and doing everything she can to save it, rather than "fleeing" into the future back to her boyfriend.

Still, well written and interesting nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're getting my Nuhuh in your Ryuugi Shi.

13. Nemrut

High Score:
    Well, that is awkward. :facepalm

14. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I doubt Emiya would even remember Sakura off the top of his head, especially if the girl's only like five years old. And really, UBW by itself is more of a hindrance to normal Servants who could probably bat out the swords like nothing. Both Emiya and Shirou, who manifested it in the UBW route said that much straight up. The two reasons why it worked on Gilgamesh is because a) Neither of them actually use the NP so firing them like missiles is all they can do. b) Shirou actually fired them faster than Gate of Babylon, thus momentarily overwhelming Gilgamesh with sheer number.

Even if Rider were summoned by Rin, his stats would probably be about the same. Compare Saber's stats in Fate/Zero with UBW. They were practically identical save for luck and Kiritsugu isn't exactly your pinnacle of magus strength. Add in the fact that Waver not only was a brilliant magus but also had more than the "dregs" of his family's crest, I'd say that Rider's stats wouldn't change much in that regard.

And again, Rider being summoned in FSN would probably end up the same as his fate in Zero. You don't fight against a dead serious Gilgamesh, who not only respects you but will also do everything in his power to kill you, and expect yourself to live.

15. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

Uh, a number of Saber's stats increased a bit switching from Kiritsugu to Rin.
    Strength: B->A
    Endurance: B-> A
    Agility: B-> A
    Luck: D-> A+
    Riding: B-> A

Also, the although Waver is a smart guy, the fact that he doesn't have a very long lineage means he doesn't have many magic circuits. This severely hampers Rider because it makes it so that Rider basically has to cast IH by himself without prana support from Waver. So, I would say Rider summoned by Rin would have a big advantage over summoned by Waver. On the other hand, he still probably would have been defeated by Gil.

16. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

You got two of those right.

B - rank Endurance, Agility, and Riding were when her master was Rin.

They were A - rank when her master was Kiritsugu.

Uh, what?

If Rider had no support, he wouldn't even materialize. Keep in mind this is the same Servant who called out his Noble Phantasm just to prove a point in front of his master. This was done on the same night he was summoned and did it appear Rider was having difficulties?

Edit: So again, there isn't that much of a difference. From what I can tell, the only thing that matters is a summoning circle and the proper incantations. Then it doesn't matter if you're shit for a magus or not. You'll still summon someone with parameters at least as close if not identical if they were summoned by a stronger magus.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  17. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

I was pretty sloppy in comparing the stats. But there is a difference in terms of good master vs bad master.

Here's a quote from Volume 4 of Fate/Zero.
    Actually, Waver had noticed it two nights ago. It was impossible for a large Noble Phantasm like Ionian Hetairoi to be used two nights in a row without any repercussions.

A large amount of prana was required just to expand such a powerful Reality Marble and maintain it for a short time. Moreover, in his battle with Caster, Rider had also been within the bounded field and received heavy damage.

Above all, so much prana had been spent that Rider, who clung to his physical so obstinately, was forced into spiritual form in order to concentrate on recuperation. It was obvious that this was no small amount of prana.

“I’ll be staying here the whole day today and doing nothing but sleeping. So you can take as much of my prana as you'd like, as long as it doesn’t kill me. This way, it should help your recovery a lot too.”

Rider’s spiritual form was silent for a long time, as if he had his mouth open in shock. Then he laughed loudly.

“… Hahaha. Why didn’t you say so earlier if you noticed it? Mm, I’m really sorry.”

“Idiot! If you don’t hurry up and recover from your current condition, I’ll be the one in danger!”

Waver felt angry all of a sudden. Rider, who had been so carefree, actually felt apologetic. But if he put some thought into the real reason behind their whole predicament, Waver was the one who should have felt embarrassed.

Waver’s reason for not wanting Rider to maintain his physical form was obvious – as a Master, Waver’s prana supply was far beneath the prana expenditure Rider required in order to recover.

Of course, it was humiliating for the Master. He was not fit to command a Servant as powerful as Rider. It was the best proof that he was nothing but a weak, second-rate magus. Humiliation and anger: those were accurate reflections of Waver’s current mood.

Was it Waver who was at fault for being unable to accurately grasp his Servant’s condition, or was it Rider, who had hidden and kept this truth from him? If Rider had straightforwardly brought it up when he felt his prana supply running low and made Waver prepare for it ahead of time, then perhaps there could have been some other way.

Waver does provide some support, but he's unable to provide superb support for Rider because he is a poor magus. In FSN, this is also seen when Saber with Shirou nearly dies after casting 1 Excalibur while with Rin can cast 3.

tl;dr Having a good master like Rin would help Rider significantly. Though, he is still obviously going to be crushed by Gilgamesh if Gilgamesh is being serious.