1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Zero Anime Adaptation

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Archer, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Anime News Network

Do want. The fact that it seems it isn't being done by DEEN is very much welcomed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

I would've prefer a visual novel instead. Although having a manga and anime is better than nothing I suppose.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ufotable also produced Kara no Kyoukai.

If the anime is successful, they might release a light novel later on.
    Or is the market for light novels coming to an end nowadays?

EDIT:
    Arg. I meant 'Visual Novel later on.' >_>

4. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

Unless I am very mistaken, Fate Zero is originally a light novel. I believe Beast Lair is currently translating F/Z.

Edit: Here

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well, this is good news. :)

6. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Awesome news. Looking forward to what UFOTABLE can do with this.

--

RE Visual novel: I don't think a visual novel (of FZ) could achieve anything that the light novel didn't, unless it has a whole bunch of original content - which kind of defeats the point since theres only one possible set of (major) events that could lead to FSN.

It also wouldn't bring FZ to the attention of new markets, since a visual novel is much much more niche than anime/manga or even light novels. Plus TM is a pretty big name in visual novels, so it's safe to say that most/all fans would have decided whether they want or do not want.

tl;dr: Don't see why they'd want to make a visual novel adaption at all.

7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, good news. Here's just hoping that it's of better quality than FSN anime adaption.

8. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

9. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If that episode had a physical hole I would be balls deep in it right now. Holy actual fucking shit.

10. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Not that well animated though, and it was an exposition heavy info-dump. Hopefully the animation will get better, and with all the background info done and done it should start picking up immediately.

11. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

That opening man... that short moment where Ilya looks up at Iri and tilts her head... HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

Ilya <3

Anyways, the pilot is definitely an info dump though to be fair, the prolouge that it was animated from was an info dump as well. Can't wait for the next episode where hopefully, the first battle starts.

12. Feoffic

I understand why they did it - makes it easier for people not familiar with the franchise to watch the show - but it was still really difficult to get through at times.

13. KaiDASH

first ep tier list

lolirin tier
    lolirin

pretty cool tier
    the summonings

oh god not more of this tier
    40 minutes of info dump and undramatic walking

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As someone who has not read the visual novel, and only knows of Fate/Zero through tertiary wiki entries, I found the info-dump to interesting, at least for an info-dump.

Also, the summonings were tits.

15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

...not that well animated?

What the hell drug have you been smoking, bro?

16. KaiDASH

I hope they didn't blow their budget on pretty-ok looking undramatic walking.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I, too, found the info dump quite interesting - and despite its length I never was bored. Though I had to skim through some wiki pages later to digest the information.

Alltogether it was quite good looking and I am really looking forward to the battles.

18. Feoffic

The CG background makes the character designs stick out like a sore thumb. The majority of the character shots are either close-ups of the face, or pulled back far enough that the character designs become incredible generic and uninteresting. In both cases, this allows for the most basic of animation possible. And when they do pull back, the background freeze frames. The scene when Kariya talks with Rin's mom in the park? None of the kids playing in the background, or the other people enjoying the nice day, move. At all. Even when Kiriya goes to hand Rin her gift, the background is the exact same still shot that we saw a few seconds before hand. Another really obvious one is when Kirei's dad and Rin's dad are talking while Kirei is walking down a dirt path; the only things that are moving in either shot is Kirei, and the occasional lip-flap of the two father's. Nothing else.

And don't get me started on that circle-walk scene that happened right before. Ugh.

TL;DR: The animation looks like ass, and makes it look exactly like a visual novel. Only this is supposed to be an animated show, not a game. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it does bother me.

Don't get me wrong, the rest of the episode was really solid, massive info-dumping included, and I'm going to keep watching this regardless of the animation. But damn, I was hoping for something impressive that complimented the truly epic story they have here, not something that detracts from it.

19. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I always struggle with prequels often because I just hate the idea of going back in the timeline and having to start before all the events occurred.

But that being said, I still found the build up of this to be really good. It's setting it up amazingly. I don't think the info-dump was really that bad because it really showed a lot of new stuff through it - mainly personalities and relationships of the various character's we're introduced to.

The animation does feel a bit confused. It feels like they went to great efforts to make detailed and vast 3D settings and backgrounds, and then skimped out on the 2D animation. It was most obvious in that walking around Kirei scene, but you could see it elsewhere too. UBW level backgrounds with FSN level characters. I hope they fix this.

I really like the darkness of it too. Every character is utterly ruthless. Including Waver, who at first seems to contrast the other serious Mages, yet seems to have nothing against sacrificing rabbits/birds or whatever they were for his ritual. FSN/UBW/HF were all dark as well, but Shirou and Rin were always very much good guys.

And the ED. To me, a good ED pretty much leaves that post episode buzz and hype that largely goes back and sets the mood for the episode, and makes you want to watch more. A good anime with a bad ED would leave me with less of a short term buzz aftewards. And the ED here was PERFECT. Totally suited the anime, was an epic song, set the mood and yeah. After it started playing and I digested the episode and what was to come, I clenched my fists, jumped up and starting squealing excitedly like a girl. =P

</rant> (I'm still in that post anime buzz set by the ED).

But yeah, I've seen a lot of anime - my list on MAL says I've seen well over 110 days worth and Unlimited Blade Works remains as one of the most epic anime I've seen and one of my favorite. This seems to have the potential to top that. Haven't been this pumped for the 'next episode' since Geass.

20. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

What.

/filler