1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite fanfic author's rant

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ray243, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

There are a number of authors who would simply rant away in regards to the fanfic community in general.

Some authors would rant in their profiles, while others would place the rant at the end of a chapter.

From time to time, those author's rant do make sense and can be very enjoyable to read about.

So, care to share any funny or fun rants by fanfic authors?

In my opinion, the rantings of Sarah1281 is pretty fun to read. Some of her rantings do make sense.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/674180/Sarah1281

2. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

OK, I admit, I lolled at the power of logic in this Sarah1281's fic "Run That By Me Again?"
    But then I saw this on her favourite stories list, and her stating-the-painfully-obvious rant became inconsequential

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    There's always moshpitstories's famous DLP rant (see author's notes at the end of the chapter), but we've had a thread on that topic already.

4. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

For all we know, it might be her guilty pleasure?

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That fic's labeled Humor. Doesn't make it any better though.

I like Sree's.

6. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

One of my favorite profiles

It actually goes on like that for quite a bit, and he's most of it could have come straight from the DLP rules.

Of course, he does seem to be a bit full of himself, and he's been discussed here before

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  7. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I enjoyed reading Kalen Darkmoon's rant: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/400655/Kalen_Darkmoon

He does make some good points in my opinion throughout his rant.

8. Artereus

Artereus Squib

Wow!

Worldmaker is quite full of himself. I mean really full of himself.

Amazing how he feels he is somehow better and more deserving of having an opinion than any other sentient on the planet.

I do find Issue #11 to be humorous however.

11. Mary Sue Stories. I just can’t take these stories seriously.

Yet he is a H/G shipper. How the hell does that work? Are there any fanfics where Ginslut isn't a Mary Sue?

Beh. Humorous read though.

9. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

That was... like somebody scraped up all the threadshit that Harmonians spewed after HBP and made a pile out of it. Too much butthurt, not enough insight.

"Ginslut" is sooooo 2008. Get with the times.

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Sree and Tinn performing an autopsy on the still-wriggling corpse of An Aunt's Love.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I assume you mean H/G? Deadwoodpecker's stuff is quite good; one of hers is in the Library. DLP had an old thread about tolerable Harry/Ginny stories.

(Also, I've written a few).

12. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I've read some tolerable H/G stories in the past. The problem is the other 99% of shippers (fangirls) ruin the ship itself.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Marquis Black's FF.Net profile used to have some amazing anti-American pro-British pro-monarchy ranting that would would put even Mordecai for shame, but I just checked and apparently he's taken it down because people kept on flaming him about it (no surprise lol).

14. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hmm.

That gives me the idea for a crack fic.

Can you remember any of it Taure?

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

For what it's worth, I found myself getting pissed off and climbing on a soapbox more than necessary. Then I figured out how to turn rants into fic and fic and probably others. Getting reviews for what's essentially structured ranting is much more satisfying.

Not sure any of my favorite authors' rants have stuck with me. Too often I just sympathize but have heard it all before.

16. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gah, Marquis Black's profile was something unique.

For starters, it was massive, historically incorrect, and didn't actually paint the British in a positive light. It boiled down to:

"Shut up you stupid yankees. You keep trying to tell me that the British did bad things in India/Africa/Middle East BUT LET'S NOT FORGET HOW YOU ROUNDED UP ALL THE NATIVE AMERICANS AND THEN ATE THEIR BABIES."

He was from Panama apparently, and went on a massive rant about how America destroyed his country, cutting it in two (damn you, canal, damn you!) The plethora of historical mistakes in his whole rant made me unsure if he's bitter Columbia lost Panama in an admittedly bullshit war, or if he thinks Panama owes its existence to someone else and we just came down their to fuck around.

Then there was some really lulzy stuff about Jefferson and Washington, and I'm pretty sure it was about how the United States rebelled because it wanted to murder black people and indians, and that Washington was a traitor.

I'm pretty sure we were also responsible for the nazis.

Anyway, it was massive lulz. I haven't touched his stories, but looking at the author's note in the profile and my general sentiment about this guy, I predict massive fail.

This is still up, and still pisses me off.

Yeah... okay. Be a goddamn man about it and say you're using his character with differences, not that it's a case of 'great minds thinking alike.'

17. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Not an author rant against the trends we see in HP fanfics, but it's still a rant against the trend we see in fanfic.

Crazy88

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/921301/Crazy-88

18. brad

brad Third Year

Looks like Worldmaker discovered this thread ... he's issued a response. Not here, but in his fanfiction.net profile, down at the bottom, a section entitled "Fun with Idiots #8", where he addresses this thread and Artereus in particular:

Well, that's only fair, he's provided DLP with some amusement. :D

The DLP posts are 'beneath his notice' ... yet he's still noticed them. And responded to them.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Huh? o_O That is at most amusing in a weird "where the fuck did that come from"-way. For someone going on about reading comprehension all the time, his response sure seems lacking that. This isn't the "Most Retarded Author-Profile"-thread, but the "Favourite Author's rant"-thread.

And I guess saying he's "full of himself" was the most noteworthy thing -- because it was, in fact, the only thing. He's mentioned by one and a half members, in one and a half-post or exactly nine lines altogether. That was all, or am I missing something? Should I insult him now, so that his response makes sense, perhaps? This kinda looks like he just wanted to put some new things in his profile and was running out of stuff, so he made something up.

Now, if it was an actual rant about DLP it could be really amusing, but that just seems like an oddly half-assed attempt (if it was one), where generalising DLP has failed yet another time, brad ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Who the fuck is Artereus ?