1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Fanfic authors?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by trollolol, Mar 27, 2012.

1. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

Curious to know who everyone rates as THE greatest author of HP fanfiction. You may nominate yourself :colbert:

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I think you are the greatest author of HP fanfiction. Every day, I get up in the morning, and try to get one step closer to the literary glory that is you.

You are the GOAT.

3. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

In that case it only seems right that I should actually write some fanfiction. Just for you, Andro.

Submissive!Andro, HugeCock!Flitwick. Slash.

"On your knees, Andro. You still have much to learn from me" Flitwick ordered.

"Yes Master. How long until I can have your 14-inch OG Mudbone charmed cock in my tight hole?" Andro begged.

Ok I can't bring myself to write anything more than that :fire

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Hey retards. How about we do not do this? The thread was semi-relevant, even if I'm sure we had a few versions of it before, so let's not use it as your personal junkyard.

On-topic: I'm a fan of my own stories, so I guess that makes me one of my favourite FF writers. I doubt I'm THE greatest, though (although I can't really think of anyone who I'd give that title).

5. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Tinn Tam

/thread

JWH
  6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Voice. /tenchars.

7. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm not sure whether I should go with my favourite author, or the author who I think is the best, they are both rather different. So I'll do both.

My favourite author is a 50-50 toss up between nonjon and Joe, for their consistent brilliance over several stories.

However the greatest fanfic writer of all time is undoubtedly XXXbloodyrists666XXX, otherwise known as Tara Gillespie. Now before you start shouting at me allow me to explain. She (or he, no one's sure which) is, as you probably know, famous (or infamous) for being the author of My Immortal which is unilaterally regarded as the single worst thing ever written. Ever. That is why she is the greatest.

She is the only person to ever so completely define a genre, that nothing else can, or ever will, compare. While I might not like her for it, I am certainly able to appreciate the work of a true master of the art of trolling. While other authors have done similar things to genres, take lorddwar for example, he all but invented the Honks ship with Harry Potter and the Summer of Change. But since then he has been well surpassed in terms of quality, while My Immortal is still, six years after it was written, the finest example of its kind.

8. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

What Exwindz said. Voice's fics are completely unique and catch my attention like very few others. While my favourites of his are Sole Survivor and Sitra Ahra, Unforgiving Minute and Concentric Wavelengths are also quality. Consistent awesomeness.

The Santi is also very good, but Dark Lord Potter Part 1 unfortunately taints my memory of his writing.

And of course, Taure is awesome, but Lords of Magic needs an update so bad D:

9. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

He (his name is Todd) decided to post a proofread version of 'My immortal'.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7444716/1/My_Immortal_Fifth_Anniversary_Edition

True master of the art of trolling indeed.

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If you want some beautiful writing, look no further than Swimdraconian.

Edit: ALSO CALZ'S WORK NEEDS MORE PEOPLE READING IT HE IS AWESOME

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I don't know that I'd christen anyone as GOAT, since nobody's been consistently awesome throughout. I do have a short list of fanfic authors from whom I think I've learned valuable things as a (now passable) writer:

First would be S'TarKan, whose NOFP was among the first I encountered when I got into HP fanfiction (or any fanfiction since I was a teenager and dial-up bulletin boards were "like totally"). Despite some flaws and lack of focus in the later chapters, it was and still is professional grade writing that gave me a sense of what fanfiction could do. I'm sure everyone has a story that did this for them when starting out in fanfiction; for me, it was NOFP. I think I got the bug to write after reading his story and penning fanfiction didn't seem quite as childish.

jbern's writing, while technically flawed in spots, gave me a counter-cultural shot in the arm and hinted at AU possibilities. When starting out, I learned a number of things about the craft of storytelling from dissecting his work and parsing his successes and failures. (The first chapter of "Bungle" is still amazing to me with how well it grips the reader, considering how shoddy the mechanics are).

Joe showed us all how to be fearless and not shy from tales with grandiose scope. He pulls off "bigger than life" characters better than anyone in the game. There's also, I don't know, a sense of fun that pervades his work that I wish I could manage.

Shezza showed how to write an action scene that sticks in one's craw. The complex interaction between his Harry and Dumbledore is still among the finest in the fandom.

nonjon's top work is arguably the best in the fandom. He has one of the keenest ears for dialogue and subtlety, as well as impeccable comedic timing. I don't know if it's a natural ability or whether he has to work like hell to make things seem so effortless, but damn.

Krahae (belleradh) has a knack for setting and tone that is worth emulating. Tinn does as well.

Deadwoodpecker/Ella, when on her game, has a sensitivity to her writing that makes characters seem so much more real. It's the little things that shine.

I'm sure I'm missing some people, but when when I think of "greatest authors" in the fandom, I tend to think of those from whom I tried to learn over the years.

12. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The top ten greatest fanfic authors of all-time are: IP82, Thalarian, nonjon, Joe, enembee, Shezza, jbern, Amerision, Water Mage, and Tinn Tam.

Take that however you want it.

I'd say if I wrote more I could be in the top 20,000.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    GOAT? GOAT:

Tehan.

14. Anme

Anme Professor

My favourite is Nuhuh. And IP82 is a close second.

15. Rym

Rym Auror

Sheeza. If only for the Denarian Trilogy. Enjoyed it so much, I actually printed it out so that I could keep reading it on a flight home once (didn't have a smartphone). That's gotta mean something.

In terms of consistently good writing and works, I think a lot of authors are top notch.

Joe (I actually started writing myself after reading the Hero Trilogy), NMB, Inverarity, Calz, and many more I'm forgetting. I also love LittleChicago's writing. Love it.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Calz, Tinn, Rusty, Amer, WM. Although, narrowing it down that far makes me feel bad. 'Cause I know Shezza rocked Denarian Lord, I know Sesc's got some awesome stuff with Unatoned, and so many other names that don't even begin with S pop up at the forefront of my mind, and I can't just categorise without saying "everyone's got their moments and awesomeness, and thus, they are all my favourite". 'Cause it's true. They're all awesome. So yay to awesome writers, and may we all publish a billion novels and live on the Moon in a secret writing base. Yay!

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is an impossible question because different people are good at writing different things. Same goes for published authors. I mean... JKR is shit at world-building, but she writes ridiculously memorable characters. Tolkien is great at world-building, but his characters are forgettable pieces of shit.

Favorite author is another matter. My favorite FF author is and will always be jbern.

18. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

In particular: belleradh, Joe, enembee, and Voice.

Oh, and Oz.

I also love Sera dy Relandrant for ASOIAF.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Joe, nmb, Shezza, Matt, and Calz are the best in my opinion. I never even knew that Matt wrote decent stuff until I read Incorruptible, but honestly I was about to give up on reading new stuff altogether because I didn't think anything great was going to come from someone other than the already established authors.

But Joe is my favorite overall.

20. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Hmm... well, as much as I'd love to say that I'm my own biggest fan, I wouldn't consider myself the best author in the fandom by a long shot.

However, the more I think about it, I think the quantifier of 'best' really doesn't do the whole thing justice. I've got a lot of authors I like and who I think are great authors who could probably (or already have) make it big, but I like them for different reasons.

For instance, Andro and Swim both are on my favourites because they have a certain poetry with words I find incredibly engaging, and you can tell they put careful effort into every sentence of their story.

Joe gets points because he is one of the few authors who can maintain the extremely delicate balance between an epic scope and a character-driven narrative, and Shezza's not far behind him.

Santi and Rusty get points simply because their writing is so down to earth and approachable that anyone can get sucked in (arguably one of the best qualities of their work).

Calz, enembee, VotN, and Matt are all great authors because they have a gift for constructing incredibly deep and striking atmospheres and worlds, and blending them together with plots that have the balls to push their characters to their limit and beyond.

And Amer, vlad, Tehan and Vash all have a gift for crafting scenes and characters that are just so starkly memorable they stand out beyond anything else. I'm never going to forget Cormac from Harry Fucking Potter or, well, anything from Oedipus Flower. When you have authors that can craft scenes that create that much of an impression, that's truly something special.