1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fics that have disappointed you

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by crimson sun06, Dec 13, 2014.

1. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Lets face it all of us have those. I am not talking about the bad fics which you realized were bad 50 words into the story. I am talking about the ones which had the potential to not only be good but great.
    Then the author does something which you just can't forgive and all you're left with at the end of the day is a heavy heart. Because lets face it nothing is quite as bad as a good idea executed poorly.
    So lets begin.

The fic I have posted here had a lot of things going for it. It had a fresh concept, decent character development and a gritty background. Unfortunately it all went to hell because of the author's desire to add shock value to his story which goes so over the top that you just can't focus on the positive aspects.
    I finally had enough when I got to the chunin exam arc it made me want to smash something.

This fic remains my greatest disappointment till date.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9125398/1/Introverted

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

99% of fics posted since 2004.

3. crimson sun06

I am talking about the ones which actually seemed good but lost their appeal because of something the author did to turn you away.

4. fire

fire Order Member

Chunin Exam Days.

Nothing compares to the godlike descend into complete fuck-rubbish that Perfect Lionheart managed.

Nothing.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think PKH comes close... :p

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Which story was PKH?

7. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Partially Kissed Hero.

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    >.> Which is ALSO by Perfect Lionheart, lol!

To be honest, though, I was never into PKH as much as I was into Chuunin Exam Day. It was the first 'looping' fic, and to start out it was awesome. Then it got retarded.

So retarded someone else wrote a fic and did it better while poking fun at it.

9. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Because PKH didn't go from wat to 9000+ Gigawat in 10 seconds flat...

A rewritten Chuunin Exam Day now that the manga is finished would be (probably) awesome.

10. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

What was the name of the piss take fic?

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure this entirely fits the bill, but the other day I found this fic. I thought the concept of a long-lived Jedi who is descended from Earth Fey and who predates the current Jedi Code raising Harry would be a cool idea. About a quarter of the way through the first chapter though and the author had added so much God!Sue bullshit and simply fucking creepy stuff that I couldn't go on.

---------- Post automerged at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Here is the creepy.

And

I pointed out that this is not how breastfeeding works to the author and he sent me a PM back basically saying "It's my story and that is how I've made Fay. They can breastfeed whenever they want."

I have a strange feeling that this is related to some sort of fetish.

---------- Post automerged at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Here is the creepy.

And

I pointed out that this is not how breastfeeding works to the author and he sent me a PM back basically saying "It's my story and that is how I've made Fay. They can breastfeed whenever they want."

I have a strange feeling that this is related to some sort of fetish.

12. crimson sun06

It probably would have an outside chance of belonging to the WTF thread if that. But what this thread is about is you coming across a fic you tried really hard to like but couldn't.

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I never got more than a few chapters into PKH so I had no expectations and it really couldn't have disappointed me.

LessWrong's tale might be a closer thing, but again I didn't really read it that long.

No, for me, Unsung Hero by MeghanReviews would be my vote for the thread. I followed the story for years, only to be given the worst ending in fanfiction.

14. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Prince of Death and its sequels. It's an HP/Percy Jackson Crossover I spent a lot of time on. There were some aspects to it I rather liked. But in retrospect, I ended up sticking with it for way too long. The Fic had, among other things: Manipulative Bastard Dumbledore who gets royally punished by pretty much everyone (including the gods) without even doing anything especially evil, the American demigod wizards attend Hogwarts for absolutely no reason, no one figures out demigods attend Hogwarts (except Snape who examined Harry's blood, and Hermione because of course she's the only smart person in Hogwarts), two OOCs who serve no purpose and are clearly Self-Inserts to the two co-authors, a third OOC who also serves no purpose and is so obviously James's reincarnation it's insane, a backstory for one of the SIs involving being Bellatrix's daughter that doesn't really make any sense when you think about it, Harry befriending Fred/George despite having absolutely nothing in common with them but not Ron (because God forbid anyone ever makes Ron a good guy who isn't Bashed), and so on. It didn't help that later, I found out one of the Authors loves to write Slash (in retrospect, I should have noticed this after the story mentions James was in a secret gay relationship with Remus (and they couldn't tell the world, because Wizards are super-homophobes or something)).

I grew to hate it so much, I even came up with my own HP/Percy Jackson Plot Bunny that spends half the time deconstructing Fics like this.

15. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Deprived by the Crimson lord
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7402590/1/Deprived

This was in the Almost rec thread at one point, had some promise as a Merc!Harry fic, Then it just descended into absolute stupidity with the latest updates having Harry psychically taming a dragon which is in Hogwarts now.

16. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

Not just Introverted -- pretty much everything from Shadenight123 fits the bill here. He has a lot of good ideas and he's actually a pretty decent writer (particularly for a non-native English speaker), but when he goes for "gritty" he goes off the rails on a crazy train. Even GRRM Dark does not compare.

17. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Naruto, by Masashi Kishimoto.

18. crimson sun06

Introverted was the only one I read and it was enough of a warning to avoid his other stuff.

19. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

ROFL

Totally with you on that, although I actually didn't hate the ending THAT much after all the other shit that happened throughout Part 2. Just be sure to grab the popcorn as you watch that train wreck unfold. On the plus side, end-of-manga!Naruto is as absurdly badass as you can possibly get.

DIMENSION FILLING JUTSU!!!! LOL

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Mass Effect: Human Revolution - started with a little bumpy ride, then got better and fresh. And then went to shit with shout-outs and refferences to other Square Enix games, and plethora of shit jRPGs, anime and other standard SB bullshit and "edginess".