1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fire Emblem Awakening - Invisible Ties by Metallover - M - Fire Emblem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wynter, May 14, 2015.

1. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Title:Fire Emblem Awakening - Invisible Ties
    Author: Metallover
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: Avatar (M)/Lucina
    Summary:AU. When Robin wakes in the middle of a field with no memory of his past nothing could prepare him for the adventure that awaits. With the Prince of the kingdom of Ylisse Chrom and his faithful band of Shepherds, Robin rises from a humble tactician to one of the saviours of the world. A loose (very loose) adaptation of Nintendo's latest Fire Emblem game - Awakening.
    Link:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9635048/1/Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Invisible-Ties

So I searched for this and didn't see it come up anywhere. Anyways this is a slight AU that largely remains somewhat faithful to the games. Overall the story still follows the overarching plot but there are a few differences from the canon outline. Grammar is solid, I didn't see too many mistakes and the characterisation is well done and makes for a very good read.

Some parts of the story for me dragged, I particularly found the ending difficult to get through for some reason I can't quite place but despite that I enjoyed it for what it was.

I wouldn't give it 5/5, but more than happy to give it 4 stars and curious to see what others have thought of it.

Edit: First time I've put something up to the review board so any mistakes just let me know.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wrong forum

-Moved.
    Sesc

3. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Bumptity Bump as it only has two votes.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I've never really gotten the appeal in writing or reading a novelization of a video game. I mean, why wouldn't the reader just play the game? I guess there's some value in it for a reader who hasn't played said title or lacks access to being able to, but for everyone else? No point in reading a story that I know the exact plot and ending to before I ever even start.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Well that's a bit of a silly dismissive way to look at it. Why watch your favourite movie again if you know how it's going to end? Why watch a TV show again if you know what's going to happen every episode? Why even bother? A video game novelisation like this one allows people who like the story and play for the story - like me - to just read the story instead of play the game again. Less brainpower to use and less time commitment, and more of a 'curl up on a rainy afternoon and read' feel. Fanfic novelisations is usually how I relive some of my favourite RPG games that I played years ago but couldn't really be arsed to again.

And here's the trick: a novelisation can expand on things at the author's whim. Sometimes badly, sure, but when it's done right, it's great. The good ones add things, like character dynamics and little twists to make a smoother story and whatnot. They don't just rehash all the same dialogue and play out the battles how you would in the game.

This fic is an example of one of the good ones because it's character-centred, as a good Fire Emblem story should be. It's wordcount isn't just for show; it fleshes personalities more with some enjoyable comedic stuff, gives Robin his own core friend group that each get heavier spotlight, and is just a good, digestible, read. It's well written, definitely ahead of most of the anime-y self-insert fics most Awakening fics turn into. And it's also just a good solid timesink. I like Awakening and its cast, and this fic gives good moments to all of them and manages to construct a pretty sound story with a twist or two on the ideas presented in canon. And I'm a shameless Robin/Lucina whore, and they get some fun times.

So, y'know, why the fuck not read it? Not like this fandom's got any better of this length. Well, at least not until I write mine...

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I actually usually don't watch or read things more than once, aside from playing video games. And even that is almost always with years between playthroughs, with the exception of Pokemon Nuzlocke runs. I guess it's more just a particular 'me' thing than any objective problem with the concept or this story in particular.

It's a good enough pairing. I prefer Aversa and Say'ri, personally. And Tiki, just due to what exactly that coupling makes Morgan into (even if it has no impact on gameplay).

7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Too bad for Tharja, I really liked her in this fanfic. Good stuff. I would rate 4/5