1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First Lord's Fury Sample Chapters

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fuubar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Basically this, Max, Fidelias, Attis, and Racous dont bother me all that bad.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm not a big fan of Attis. He got on my bad side in book 1 and I just can't warm to the guy or enjoy his chapters despite the relevations about his motivations. Raucus I like though.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I personally try to forget most of book 1. It was nothing special. I didnt care for him until he stood up and cut his way over to Riva in book 5. He might have become what he hated, but he does care for Alera.

4. Ched

Yeah, Ragon, he does. I understand that he became something he hated, but see, it's like the book is trying to tell us that he's really not such a bad guy after all now. Or something. But in Book 1, when he had Fidelias and ... whoever concerned that he might just up and kill them for daring to interrupt his fun, well, that's a jackass. Especially as it was implied he'd actually do it. He struck me as petty, and while I like where the character has gone since Book 1 I can't quite get interested in him.

But yeah, he does care about the realm and he seems like an all around decent sort now, even if he doesn't like what he's become, etc. Bleh. I don't know. To be honest I think Butcher's view of where he was going with the character in the series as a whole changed from Book 1 to Book 5 and that's what we're seeing.

Or not. I can't wait for Book 6.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I don't know, I kind of like that he is still a dislikable character despite having decent intentions.

6. Ched

Well, that's not quite what I mean.

Right now in the last book he's quite likable. I liked his interactions with Sextus, I liked watching him fight, I liked his conversation with Isana.

My problem is that he is likable in Book 5 when he was the opposite in Book 1, and it was his demeanor, attitude, comments, etc. He is portrayed as being a petty son of a bitch who would happily kill someone just for interrupting him doing something else in Book 1. In Book 5, with nothing in the intervening books suggesting that he has changed since then, he is portrayed as someone who sadly became something he hated but who genuinely cares for his country and who is giving everything he has to protecting it and the people within.

We learn his motives to explain some things, but it doesn't explain enough. It bothers me that I find him somewhat likable and interesting now when I don't see a reason for him having changed so much since Book 1. That's why I tend to think the author changed his mind about where he was going with the character.

But I could be wrong. Maybe that explained things a bit better though.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he'd still casually kill someone for irritating him, so long as that person wasn't important. Or even a citizen. Remember, in book 1 we were seeing him from a different perspective than we are now. Book 5 we're seeing the face he presents to his fellow citizens and Lords. Book 1 we saw the face he presents to nobodies and underlings.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Also its been how many years since Book 1? Theres generally atleast a couple of years between books, sometimes more. People change.

9. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Well it has been a while since I read book one, but IIRC didn't we only have Fidelias' view of him? JB has mentioned before that viewpoints are extremely important to him and his writing, so that might also just have been his opinion of the man. Still I do get where you are coming from.

Personally, I don't think he himself has actually changed - we are just seeing him in a different light. I remember at the end of Princep's Fury that he was talking to Isana about being the First Lord and how his actions from the first book were completely justified and for the, let me borrow a phrase here, 'Greater Good'. So IMO he hasn't changed really, it's just that we haven't seen him in any situation where he is going to be percieved as a cold-blooded traitor and murderer.

10. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

RAAAAWR I DRINK YOUR FACE!

Attis doesn't have the balls for that. He isn't shit.

11. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

lol what?

I'm keen for Tavi's "counter-attack" whatever it may be.. although I'm not sure how he can counter the Queen's propaganda. Unleash his new found furycrafting? "Hello I'm your Princeps/First Lord"?

The way the chapter ended made it seem like he planned on doing something immediate though so not sure how thats going to end up.

btw, is this chapter the last chapter before the book release?

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yes this is the last.

Was it me or did Varg seem a little off this chapter.

What a day I wake up to an email saying you have a coupon for 65% off of First Lord's Fury and the last update. And no class.

13. uriel

What is this coupon you speak of

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Look it up at amazon.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

I can probably cancel it and all, but it annoyed the hell out of me when I saw it.

Edit: God dammit, I need to learn to spellcheck.

Also: Tavi totally ate the Vord Queen. My pairing is canon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  16. carl

carl Seventh Year

Coupon? :(

17. uriel

I see no coupon, but the price of First Lords Fury Hardcover is $9.90 on amazon. Maybe the discount is automatically applied now.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We can't even pre-order it off Amazon in the UK. Only the paperback (release 2010) and one Amazon Marketplace seller.

19. carl

carl Seventh Year

Taure, login to Amazon.com with your UK details and order via there - it works out cheaper than ordering via Waterstones (importing) which I think was about £20.99. My Order was $9 book + $12.48 delivery. :)

20. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

That's what seriously infuriates me. $9 for a book, $12 for shipment...

I'm so not going to buy a book if the shipment is more than the book itself... That's why I also bought hardcover Death Masks.