1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First Lord's Fury [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Obviously there will be spoilers, cover your eyes & ears while humming a little tune in this thread if you don't want to know them.

Anyway, I ended up downloading the book through B&N's ebook site, which I highly recommend that no one ever use again. Required me to verify my purchase no less than three times, with a credit card number, before I could even read it. (This is after I had completed the purchase). Only upside is that I had the book at 12:15 AM today.

I ended up liking it, but one thing really bugs me. In the end, we hear that there are about 100k Marat warriors ready to fight.

Okay, what? Didn't the Marat get like stomped on in both the first and second books? Hell, even in the second, with the great march against the scourge; there was only like 2k or so total gargant warriors. (Before they set off, not after causalities). Where the hell did Butcher get 100k Marat from?

A nit pick, but a very annoying one.

2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Just finished it. A good book, but not the best in the series. I'll put it at third, behind Cursor's and Captain's Fury.

The biggest problem to me was that no one died. It's the last in the series, the big climax to the entire story, and only bad people and Foss died. Seriously. Foss is the biggest casualty on the good guy side. Sure, Ehren almost kicked the bucket, same with Max and Crassus, but none of them did. Kinda dissapointing, IMO.

And this also blatently leads into another series, which I guess I'm fine with. Butcher made a big show of stating how it'll take a century and a half for the Vord to consolidate power in the Canim territory, and that gives us plenty of time for all Alerans to die and a new cast to be raised in it's place.

Chapter 38 had my favorite moment in it, BTW.

3. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Didn't Aquinate die?

4. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm not spoiler taging anything because spoiler is in the thread title.

Yeah, well he was a villain for the the first four and three quarters books, so I just counted him as a dead villain.

That also really pissed me off, actually. One of the things I was really looking forward to was a showdown between Tavi and Aquatine. I pictured some big, dramatic event where Tavi used his wits and charisma to make Aquatine see that he was the right man for the job, and to gracefully step aside. He'd then probably fall in the final battle.

But no. Instead, we got Ehren assassinating him, using his wife as the weapon. While cool, it still deprived me of one of the scenes I was most looking forward to.

5. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

We have to remember Jim was getting tired of the series, but yeah, I was also looking forward to that battle.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

It wasnt bad but its no Captain's Fury, which until Butcher comes out with something better is far and away his best novel in my opinion.

I was disappointed in the lack of Raucus, after hearing about him threatening Gaius over Marcus, and how he is considered the greatest battlecrafter in Alera... theres next to nothing. I mean he gets his ass handed to him by the Vord Queen, and some remarks about how he isnt too bright.

But this isnt really limited to Raucus, but to all the High Lords, characters known for their power who take a back seat to Amara and Bernard, who while not as annoying as in previous books are still having to save the day.

I was shocked at how useless the High Lords appeared in this book. I mean sure I get that the Vord Queen is more powerful, but power doesnt guarantee victory. Experience, knowledge, and skill have alot to do with it. In a relatively short amount of time, the Vord Queen has become the match of multiple High Lords and Ladies. Octavian atleast had the theory on how it all worked from his time at the Academy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. Nigh7

Nigh7 Muggle

i liked the book
    lets just wait and see what Jim will make to finish the battle =)

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Huh?

The series is done, there's no battle left to fight.

9. Nigh7

Nigh7 Muggle

hm the end left me thinking there would be a sequel or something, to show the final battle with the vord in the future.
    shame if it was realy the last book =/

well it was a nice book anyway =)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well. Just finished the book. Not sure what to say, really, about the book or the series. I enjoyed them, and I will probably re-read them later as well as recommend them to others, but I'm also left feeling disappointed.

(Oh, and Nigh7, this was the final book of the series. Don't expect another sequel. He did set it up where he could write a sequel but I wouldn't count on it.)

In a lot of ways this phrase by Vesvius sums up my feelings about the entire series. There was a lot of cool stuff in this series, especially in Cursor's Fury and Captain's Fury, but there was a lot more stuff that I wanted and/or expected to see that simply either didn't happen or happened off screen. To me it feels like there just weren't enough character-oriented moments in the series; the ones we got were brilliant, but they seemed too few.

For instance, I would have liked to be there when Bernard found out that Tavi was actually Gaius Octavian, son of Septimus, Princeps of the Realm, and that Isana was his mother not his aunt. I'd have liked to see the reaction of some of the people on his steadholt that Tavi grew up with, though this last could have been eliminated or else combined into the situation where Bernard found out. Instead Bernard simply goes from not knowing to knowing, and while I am not a big fan of Bernard or Amara I found that disappointing.

I'd have liked to see more of Araris. I was fascinated by Fade to begin with, and Araris only became more cool from that point on. Yet apart from a few nice scenes with him he doesn't get all that much development. I wanted to see Tavi find out about the romance between him and Isana. I would have liked to see Araris talking to Tavi a bit more about Septimus, or offering some father-ly type advice in his place. The scene where Araris proposed to Isana was brilliant and I really liked all of the times he had interaction outside of combat with Tavi. So all the stuff with him was cool and a ton of fun to read, but there just wasn't enough of it for me to feel like he was fully utilized. It's not just Araris either, other characters sort of fall into this same category, he's just the most obvious example in my mind. I always felt like some characters never quite got enough of the scenes that I wanted to see so I was left disgruntled.

Hm, I guess... a lot of characters got just barely enough characterization to get me interested as hell in them and wanting more. Just a few more good scenes featuring them to flesh them out would have helped make them feel real and left me satisfied with their roles in the story -- only it stayed at that point. What's more is that I think a great many of these scenes could have been incorporated into the story with only a scant few paragraphs each. Another term I guess could be wasted potential? There was so much that could have been done easily to make the story so much richer, yet in my mind it never really happened. Relationships or characters are formed well, and then after they become interesting many seem forgotten. So many different ways to phrase this single concept I have about the story, yet none of them seem to quite hit the nail on the head. Hopefully this paragraph gets the point across.

Other things I wanted to see include Tavi and Aquitaine meeting at some point. Whether it was a political fight, an actual battle, or neither of the above, I was a bit disappointed by how it played out. Would have also been nice to see the High Lords have a holy-shit-Octavian-brought-how-many-Alerans-and-Canim-with-him-in-how-many-days?! type of reaction, especially after listening to them talk about how he could have only brought a small force with him, probably had to fly from where they landed, etc. The damn ship-sledding was cool as hell but I felt a bit cheated by not seeing anyone realize it once they made it to their destination. Oh, and Crassus, wtf? I get that he'd be pissed off, but it's not like Tavi held back information he was entitled to have passed along. Dorotea was a traitor for one thing, and for another she specifically requested that her son not be told of her fate. Pissed is one thing, but not coming to the wedding? Ending a friendship forged in blood, battle, and trust in leadership? I'd have liked to see a conversation between those two. Maybe too a reunion between Raucus and his sons, at least a hello between Doroga and Kitai, Tavi being told that the Vord Queen had his mother (seriously, the queen said he'd be forced to seek her out in order to re-acquire his mother, but unless I'm mistaken he didn't know she was taken), someone other than his family realizing that Tavi woke up the damn Vord to begin with, a bit more characterization for Miles and interaction with his brother, and so on. I'd like to know what was in the letter Sextus asked Ehren to give to Tavi upon his return, what Raucus thought when he heard that Tavi had left a bunch of Canim camping out at his place up north, and a metric crapton of other things I can't think to list right now.

I'll also agree with whoever was disappointed in the power of the High Lords in the last book. I won't go into too many details on that, but it did feel a bit weak considering what I felt they are supposed to be capable of and what their power ended up appearing to be capable of.

So far I suppose I've been fairly negative of the story, but I don't mean to be. It's just easier to talk about the things I didn't like than what I did. Fidelias is a good example of a character who was interesting as hell and got enough scenes for me to feel that his place in the story was filled well. Varg is another, though I'd have liked some post-battle interaction with him, however brief.

Not to mention that a lot of the action was bloody epic, be it on a battlefield employing devious tactics or in personal fury-based combat.

tl;dr? There is a ton of great stuff in these books and they're damn good, especially the 3rd and 4th ones, but as a whole I am left feeling somewhat disappointed at the lack of various types of scenes I had wanted to see. These include events occurring off-scene instead of where the reader can witness them, scenes that did not happen that I had looked forward to seeing in some form, and a definite lack of character oriented scenes for characters who I felt were developed enough to deserve them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  11. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Anyone else feel kinda sorry for the vorde queen? All that talk through out the book about her learning emotions etc..

12. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

As with the fifth, in the end it couldn't live up to my expectations.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't know if sorry for her is the correct phrase, but yeah, something like that. I don't know what else could have been done or said but that was another mini-story-arc that didn't feel complete.

14. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

His attempts at garnering sympathy for her were, for the most part, too ham-handed. The matricide was a nice touch, though. Really nice.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed it a lot. I've been reading the entire series for the last week now, and I really prefer looking at it as a whole instead of individual books... it was great. He wrapped up as much as he could, I guess, but I think another book would've made everything feel a bit more finished.

God, the High Lords made me laugh sometimes.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of the book was good.

The ending fell a bit flat.

For a start, it was never explained how the two great Fury's were tamed after they were enraged at the end. Just that Kitai would do it following Alera's instruction.

The ending as a whole was rather unfulfilling. The entire book was leading up to this one moment, the "hammer against the anvil" moment when Tavi turns up with an army at his back and saves the day. A "Pelenor Fields" moment when the banner of Elendil unfolds and you feel a shiver go down your spine and want to shout "yes!" and pump your fist.

Captain's Fury has a moment like this. "My name is Gaius Octavian". First Lord's Fury never had the moment we were all waiting for. The big reveal of a regal and powerful Tavi and everyone's reaction.

That never happened.

As a result we feel a bit cheated.

17. azrael

azrael Professor

I find myself with nothing to say that has not already been said. Finished reading the book about 2 hours ago, and while it wasn't the worst book in the series it certainly wasn't the best. Have to agree with everything Taure said.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished reading it last night and overall, I thought it was good. Big list of problems with it but most have them have been covered. I'm surprised the big one wasn't mentioned first. Wtf was with "The unleashed great furies will destroy everyone" turning into "Great furies? What great furies?" A passing line or two mentioning that Kitai and Alera dealed with them. :-/

As Taure said, I was hoping for the "fuck yeah" moment when Tavi slammed into the rear of the vord horde with an army of Canim and Aleran soldiers, before meeting the Vord queen and beating her down in full view of everyone at Garrison.

I was also hoping for a bit more reaction to Tavi ripping apart half of Riva, something that was supposedly impossible.

Amara's still a cunt but I do like Bernard, I've always pictured him as one of the hikers from the pokemon games...:?:

There were so many moments that reminded me of Return of the king. A returning king leading an army of reinforcements into the defence of a besieged city against overwhelming odds and with a force nobody expects. A massive horde going insane and suddenly ceasing to be a problem once their leader is killed by the main character.

The huge lumbering vordbulks even replaced the Oliphaunts...

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, finished it, and it was a good book, as far as battles and fights go, I suppose. Invidia was also great, in my eyes by far the most fascinating person in the series. So talented and able and clever, and yet driven by this totally irrational hatred against a man that spurned her; seeking revenge, unconditionally, even for the price of an entire continent and its people.

That's awe-inspiring. Better yet, she's treacherous and unrepentant until the very end, dying unredeemed, utterly despicable. There aren't many characters like that, at least as far as main characters go. If I ever wrote an Alera FF, it would be about her.

The general problem is though (and that was the same with Princeps' Fury) that what I liked most of the series was reading about old Alera -- the city, the High Lords, the political machinations; and obviously, that couldn't be in there, since there was basically no Alera left. And what I especially liked, the culture based on a system of hereditary power, on bloodlines, where for once not everyone is equal, and birth determines your power, was also abolished in the epilogue with two lines.

I mean, it didn't come out of nowhere, e.g. we knew about Tavi's opinion of slavery all along and it was only logical in that sense, but still ... power based on merit. Blergh. How ... just. And how utterly, utterly boring :|

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  20. Maro

Maro Third Year

Just finished reading this after reading through the entire series in order, for the first time, over the last week (Swine Flu is good for some things I guess).

Amazing series, but I actually think this is probably the worst book in the series somehow. Reading the series start to finish was an amazing crescendo of brilliance (admittedly the first half of Furies was a little hard to get into) which peaked at the end of Captain's. Princep's went steadily downhill- it was so repetitive, but still went out with a 'bang'. This final book was just repetitive...way way way too many fight scenes with nothing of interest to punctuate it. You know you're in trouble when you find yourself skim-reading action scenes.

I think the only real redeeming feature was the characterization of the Queen.

There was so must stuff missing it was painful.

Its almost as if Butcher intended for there to be some actual interesting scenes/moments and then just couldn't be bothered writing them. The entire purpose of senators seemed to be to literally piss off the reader, and you never got to see how they were resolved. Great. This book in particular had literally zero of those magic scenes which just make you stop reading and go 'wow'; Captain's had several such moments, Princep's had one or two. This book literally had none.

Seratin said it reminded him a lot of ROTK, to me I barely got any LOTR parallels. There seemed to be endless references to bloody Eddings' Belgariad, which I suppose is all well and good except that Eddings' books are awful in comparison.

I actually thought as a series as a whole, the books most closely resembled Ender's Game, except not as bad, fortunately.

TLDR: Pretty impressed by the series as a whole...this book was probably the worst of the series, unfortunately.