1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Flipper: fanfiction.net search application

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by zekses, Feb 6, 2018.

1. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Flipper allows you to search within fanfiction.net in some ways ffn, or ever Scryer won't allow. Additionally, it allows you to gradually cleanup your searches from the stuff you've already read leaving only the fics you haven't seen yet in your search results.

Oh, and with it you can have your read queue and keep track of what you've already finished.

I've been personally using it for more than a year now and I can finally share a version that doesn't have much inexplicable quirks, which could annoy people unfamiliar with how it operates.

Flipper for Windows can be found here: https://github.com/Zeks/flipper/releases/download/1.0.0/flipper_1.0.0.7z

(it requires MSVC2015 redistributable installed)

Flipper for Mac is not yet a thing, but now that I have a stable version I can finally research what I can do about that.

The manual can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fJ1P3y3UBY4OjEHosBCo3OtlIC2sycfrL3aC2yqNiP8/edit?usp=sharing

It kind of fills the same niche as Scryer, but does some things better. Admittedly, it also doesn't have a buch of stuff scryer has as I had different priorties while building it.

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I'm just going to say what I always do when something like this pops up. It needs an ignore functions.

Most of the time when I'm just browsing FFN I don't really know what I want to read. But I know 100% of the time what I don't want to see. There just simply will never be a time where I see a robst fic and think: "Hey the last 4 times it was shit, but I bet this one is different". Same with slash, or certain pairings. And fics that I just dislike.

So the ability to filter out what I don't want to read is the primary way to increase chances of me finding something new and interesting, since I'm not wasting time on wading through the same old trash. (Also since it keeps track of what's been read. A snooze type button, where a fic does not show up in results until after a new chapter for it has been posted would be grand.)

P.S. Your post sort of makes it unclear if your the author or not. I assume you are?

3. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Well, with flipper you just tag such a fic with some tag of your choice once and you won't see it in search results again.

A way to ignore authors is probably a good idea, I will see what I can do about that.
    Ignoring slash can kinda be done by "-Words Slash"(it will make sure "no slash" is not filtered out) + tagging anything that still goes through.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I actually like your snooze idea, a way to one-click-hide until fic has more chapters is interesting and something I might explore.

Though I personally just categorize stuff into "reading" with tags for this and periodically check by filtering on "tags:reading+update date" It's a bit better than waiting until such a fic reemerges in your default search results randomly. But tags + snooze definitely has merit
    --- Post automerged ---
    And on the subject of slash filter. It's better to be extra careful than extra smart. A very good example is that scryer filters out "Lily and the art of being Sysiphus" when set to ignore slash. This is a great fic and it's totally not slash since its fem!Harry. Scryer doesn't know anyhing about it and if you trust its automation to protect you against slash you are missing out on this gem. I prefer "once tagged, never see again" routine

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. Horton

Horton Second Year

Why bother with Windows/Mac/Linux/etc when you can just make it a webapp? You can get a VPS fairly cheap.

5. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    I am, indeed, planning to turn it into a web app. The necessary code refactoring for that is underway. The core of flipper will eventually power a server part of a website. But as I am completely unfamiliar with web development I made something I could use first and will worry about web conversion later.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Good job.
    Now I need to boot win95 on my phone or compile it for Android.

7. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Or run it with WINE. People told me it runs without any problems on Mac like that