WIP For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Wanna try it out? ;)

Cognitive dissonance. Nuff said.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

Shit, you mean all this time I've been doing it backwards? :facepalm

3. Zel

Zel Professor

High Score:
    Well, the Greater Good bomb was dropped, and Harry basically humiliated Dumbledore in every turn and possible way on a single conversation, all the while being the righteous rebel dumping the real truths on the man who symbolizes an ineffective, decrepit system that didn't kill everyone who wouldn't follow its laws.

Alright, as far as I'm concerned most of the good will bought by the initial chapters was utterly spent. Even his Naruto fics didn't get this self-righteous and masturbatory, although time might have taken the worst of it out of my mind. Gonna lower my rate to 2/5.

4. Donimo

Donimo Seventh Year

I just read the update. Dumbledore was actually almost written well. Harry was being a self righteous immature cunt. The author thought he was being badass. 2/5 sounds about right.

5. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Are you sure about that?

This chapter was a shining example of why I loathe this story now. Noodlehammer has butchered any interest I previously had in this fanfic with his characterization of Harry. Harry is an arrogant author mouthpiece more akin to a cunt than an actual character.

That and the fact that Noodlehammer's apparent dislike for Dumbledore has crossed into bashing territory. Dumbledore's been portrayed as an inept, foolish leader. Worse still, he's being shown up and outsmarted at every turn by a 15-year-old cunt.

So, yeah. Definitely dropping this now. Plus, this chapter really makes me wish there was a 0 rating.

6. Donimo

Donimo Seventh Year

What I meant was that the Dumbledore bashing came across as Harry being an idiot child instead of Dumbledore actually being incompetent.

7. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Seventh Year

So what makes that any worse than most other chapters before? If it takes you until this chapter to get triggered by something you must have missed 90% of the chapters.

8. Methos

Methos Slug Club Member

High Score:
    the only positive thing in the chapter iirc is the lack of poor smut.
    Although Luna keeps being Harry pines cheerleader, another method to show how great is Harry and the author in return.

9. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Notice the difference in the emboldened sections? No-one could have interpreted it the way you said you meant.

Anyways, taking your meaning into consideration, Dumbledore's characterization in the latest chapter is just due to horrible storytelling. It's not just from Harry's perspective that Dumbledore seems inept. The general sentiment is that he's an old fool. See Tonks and Fleur's reactions to him.

But it is your opinion and you're entitled to it, so feel free to disregard anything I say.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm still reading this when it updates, but the author has lost the majority of my good will developed early on in the story.

There is still some nice world building going on, but it isn't enough to counteract the boring smut scenes. On the bright side, with the Dryad plot line, some of the pointless smut had an actual point.

I think it might be worth creating a streamlined version of this story by excising about 80% of the smut.

11. syed

syed Supermod

The latest addition really reinvigorated my interest. Harry took an idea from a book, and made it into an epic tool. One that could be made into a game changer. If spread accross the magical territories, it would be an unprecedented power. Especially if he can learn to protect other spells through it. How many magics are really that reliable at such ranges.

I had an idea but not sure if it is viable. Imhotep made himself into a lich. So he could be considered closer to the veil than most, even if his undead form is destroyed. The resurrection stone is said to only return those you care about, could he trick it enough to summon this ancient potter? I always thought the stone could aid in making those aware portraits. Imagine a portrait containing the memories of the high priest. He would know most of the magics used in keeping vampires and succubi out of Egypt. He might have an understanding with the vampires, but such lore is always useful. I totally see them purposely purging the life of the priest hood

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Not sure what anyone ever saw in this fic tbh. Doesn't really do enough interesting things to really set itself apart from the bulk of its ilk.