1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Griffin

Griffin Muggle

3/5

Clechés in abundnace, but this Harry is going to kick-ass, that much is obvious. I am curious eneugh to continue reading.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I agree it's def 3/5 but this part made me laugh:

3. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I laughed at that part too. And Harry's mindless violence against Malfoy and Lockhart was refreshing to see, it was certainly a new one.

Also, no magical cores.

4. noura62442

noura62442 First Year

Geez, the summary put me off reading it for a long time. I'm about half way through and it's fucking hilarious. Wasn't expecting that at all.

5. Zeemz

Zeemz Second Year

Just like Noodle's Naruto stories, the beginning is a bunch of cliches save for the quality characterizations. I fully expect, like the Naruto stories, that the story will eventually branch out into much more interesting grounds. And the author usually does have large instances of telling more than showing. But the ideas are so entertaining, it's worth sticking with it when events eventually occur (similar to A Second Chance At Life in that regard).

6. Vesqu

Vesqu First Year

I'm a huge fan of Noodlehammers works, but this one disappoints me. The beginning is full of cliches and its only saving grace is that the author doesnt make Harry infallible.
    2/5 as it is now, hopefully it gets better with time.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Updated. Great lines all around.

8. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

This newest chapter is exactly why I love Noodlehammer's writing. While his stories don't really have that strong of a plot or grip the reader in suspense for what is going to happen next, he never fails to make his chapters entertaining and leave you wanting more. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading and laughed at numerous points. This story doesn't really inspire anticipation for what will happen next, but has you enjoying the moment while you read. If a story or movie can leave you entertained at the end, then that is what I consider a quality piece of work.

I think a big reason some people have problems with this story is that they are judging it the same way you would judge a drama or some classic piece of literature. That is not what this story or any of Noodlehammer's stories are. At their core, they are works of comedy. They are meant to make you laugh, not inspire thought provoking questions or character analysis. You wouldn't judge the movie The Hangover under the same criteria as Mission Impossible would you?

As a comedy with a solid grammatical writing base, I would definitely give the story a 4/5 at the moment.

9. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    I find this story to be fantastic. The last chapter had me laughing out loud a lot of the time. The humor did get a bit repetitive though after a while. Nonetheless Noodlehammer certainly doesn't beat around the bush and sets a solid pace which I hope he continues.

Definitely looking forward to more updates.

10. syed

syed Supermod

We know he is adding runes to himself, he shoul improve or augement his own senses.
    If rage Weasleys go on a tri, Harry could house sit for them.
    Now he knows his enemy is tom, would he research him. Possibly leading to the riddle house, the gaunt shack and the general region. I think this place would be great to hide his magical gear, possibly even in the graveyard. Graves have often been hidding places. If he gets the cash, I can see Harry buying the properties to get back at tom.
    Will he explore the chamber see if there is more hidden?

11. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    I'd like to think he'd avoid annoying cliche's such as where Harry spend's time searching the chamber of secrets and finds hidden books then over the course of that school year becomes godly. The ending scene with the seventh year Ravenclaw is a bit well.. strange. I guess he did attempt to explain the differences in magical sexual culture regarding assent yet still.. a 12 year old and a 17 year old? Eh.

Bring on Sirius' escape from Azkaban I say!

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I liked this chapter it moved the story along nicely and was full of decent humor. I just hope he doesn't turn Sirius into the cliche "Horndog" in the upcoming chapters.

13. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    I agree? Haha.

But yes the Sirius arc will hopefully be handled appropriately. I'd like to see how this affects Harry's attitude and conceptions of the magical world; in particular towards the Ministry and their 'justice'.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

He may just kill Sirius off if he keeps up with expectations.

15. James

James Unspeakable

"It sounds like the start of a dirty joke." Harry continued, ignoring the correction. "'A boy walks into a girl's bathroom holding an old man's cock.'"

Dumbledore stopped and looked at his student strangely before finally speaking. "I presume that this is Ms. Lovegood's influence?"

Ahahaha! It's fantastic.

16. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

Was it only me who found 12-year old Harry making dick jokes with Dumbledore slightly creepy, and the scene at the end even more disturbing?

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, that was kind of my response as well. The dick jokes, while pretty amusing, felt a tad awkward. That last scene was creepy as hell.

18. syed

syed Supermod

We know the runes are boosting his development, while he might be 12 in some respect, just how advanced had it pushed him to be. I doubt he is any where near adult, but I could see him being closer to 14.

19. Amy

Amy Squib

High Score:
    There is both elements that I love and I hate in this fic.

I love how Harry first reaction to discovering magic is wanting to create fireball before realising that doing so inside a house is not a good idea. I love how he thinks that dark lord are incredibly cool and wants to become one. I love how his experience with fantasy culture makes him think that governments are bad. All those reaction characterises him as a child without having to make him stupid. However the constant linking of plot lines to rpg where not necessary and were even disruptive. Another good point is the bad consequences for his runes and his realisation that it may be forbidden magic for a reason.

What I hate is the consequence for his mess up with runes. I absolutely hate the constant sex jokes, references and what happen in the last chapter (chapter 5). In addition, his constant short temper totally change his character. With the additional presence of Ginny and Luna, I got the impression that the Harry in the last chapters was a different person as he changed in fundamental ways. As I really prefered the "first" Harry, I'm very dispointed with that.

Even if originality is good, I don't necessarily mind the clichés if they are not too badly written..Dumbledore appeared to be a classic manipulative!Dumbledore at first, but he realises that he mess up after Hermione's death and takes things in his own hands. Even if he still tries to manipulate Harry after that, it's more as a caretaker knowing what's best for him, such as having friends. I especially like that he got the good sence to ask Harry to open the chamber and that he took care of the basilisk himself in a clever way.

I loved the first chapter for Harry's reactions to magic despite all the clichés. It was a very good 3/5 for me and I was hopeful that it would get better. However it is now a 2/5 and I'm afraid that I won't be able to stand it if it becomes a harem story.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord