1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Squib

High Score:
    Other than what you've mentioned, the author has apparently decided to go down the route of a thousand other shitty fics and started calling muggles as "mundanes", and muggleborns as "first generation something-somethings".

I seriously don't understand the fascination some people possess towards writing down this garbage.

2. NumberSlevin

NumberSlevin Squib

High Score:
    I read Noodlehammers Naruto stories too so I can make a good guess as to the direction Harry is going. Saying that I knew what I was getting into before I even opened it so i cant exactly say i'm shocked by it. It has its upsides, Luna for example, and its downsides,
    Harry's suddenly miraculous sexual and magical prowess explained away by 'Runes'.

3/5

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I think this story, while having a lot of flaws, manages to keep on this side of interesting. Certainly better than a lot of crap I've seen.

It looked like it was headed in a harem direction for a while, but now seems like it might take a more believable romantic route. Harry does seem to grow ever more powerful, but, honestly, I prefer over-powered!Harry.

Mostly, I enjoy this Harry's response to Dumbledore's attempts to control him. Namely, completely ignoring them, and just doing as he pleases. This story is a breath of fresh air amidst all the stories full of teen-aged drama and angst.

4/5

4. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Thanks DarthBill. I followed your review and started to read this story. After a strange first chapter it kept my interest and I can say that I really like it. The author does a very good job using some cliches without making me quit.

4/5

5. Ravel Saint

Ravel Saint Squib

High Score:
    It's a bit of a guilty pleasure like all of Noodlehammer's stuff - Smut is perhaps a bit gratuitous and takes away from the plot.[Who am I kidding, the smut is excessive but at least it's not really poorly written and he's decided to use it as a character point for Harry]
    In spite of it being obviously OP Harry, there's no exponential growth that turns him into a God [possibly because HP doesn't lend itself to that as well as Naruto, but dammit if he hasn't tried with the wandless stuff and easy animagus transformation] and his power creates problems too.
    I was reminded very heavily of Dark Souls with the rituals, but can't for the life of me imagine why. Probably a 4/5 from me

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Smut really? As far as things go sex is mentioned but not really described in this fic. . . Well not much anyway. I'm finding that this fic is actually moving kinda slow all things considered I would really like to see some real action in this fic instead of the constant build up. Like will Voldemort be the final villain and if so how he does things with Voldemort will either make or break this fic.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Calling it: Harry will dimension hop after becoming teh wizards supabeast.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

. . . And play the rape game with Naruto and Xanna because who wouldn't want to imagine that?

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Obviously he wont go to DC, Stargate or Sekirei so... I'm calling... DxD, Zero no Tsukima and... Star Wars?

10. Enthralled

Enthralled Squib

If we're calling things: Harry's adoptive parents will be revealed to be working for the muggle government, trying to infiltrate magical society, or something like that. Can't recall why I think that, but there.

And I don't know if Harry will ever be able to dimension travel, but at this point I like Noodlehammer's Naruto a lot more, so I'd rather read a new crossover with him.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Harry finally had his conversation with Fleur and things just got real interesting. Adrastia Zabini is going to wage war with Harry and probably bring Voldemort back into the mix.
    I hope Tonks comes back though, but with this author anything is possible.

12. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Hmm, just read the newest chapter and I got to say, despite all the crazy magic shit in this story, Harry's romantic life is more natural feeling than most I've read in Harry Potter fanfiction. The fact that Harry has been in and out of different relationships, possibly leading up to someone (please be Fleur) who he will spend the rest of his life with, is a lot more like real life than what you normally read in a story. A lot of the time, the first character someone hooks up with in a story, that is the person they are set with for the rest of the story. Noodlehammer's approach is a nice change of pace.

13. syed

syed Supermod

I wonder if one or two of the succubi survived by blending in. I wonder just how that succubi a was able to produce veela, another binding to the bloodline, or was her father, her self or her mate able to use soul magics allow them to be born. The story has mentioned how a lot of the nobles and pure bloods in Europe got wiped out, their families lore lost, except for the exceptions of England and Greece. If veela could only breed with wizards, I wonder just how many families did they gain access to, and their knowledge base. Grindleward was about equality allowing him to take out the established families for their stuff. So no reason why go after veela, it also would explain where all the knowledge went after the war. The veela might have had the best claims.
    I look forward to the reactions of veela to Harry and that zabini woman. I bet veela has lore of soul magic, while Harry and friend can do it. Anychance of an alliance, it might be useful having a powerful pure blood lord as a patron.
    According to wiki, where transformed werewolves breed, they create a kind of magical wolf, intelligent but with out the rage/hunger of those cursed. I wonder if bonding a werewolf bloodline with this wolf, could be a potential cure?
    Harry is aware the cloak is a hollow, does he also know albus has one? I a, still hoping Harry discovers the riddle and haunt properties. What better way to stick it to tom, then staking his family holding. There might be plenty hidden away apart from the ring.
    Albus is looking for a way to get a connection with Harry. Since he no longer goes to potions, get Slughorn to tutor him. He could share other advanced magics as well as political adviceOnce the door, has been opened, Harry might be more willing to talk to albus at least.

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

This fic is an exercise in frustration. Constant, "can the interesting ideas outweigh the shit they are surrounded with?".

And there is a lot of shit. Near constant wizard bashing, about how stupid everyone is for using a wand and incantations. Which leads into the wandless magic bollocks. The portraits of grandparents and the secret manor. All the lord nonsense(I can legally kill people through honor duels. sigh). Mage sight, sex magic etc. etc. etc.

It is interesting and people should probably give it a try. But be forewarned that there is a lot to wade through to get to the interesting bits.

15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

You can't be serious. He's dating a much older girl, has another one sleeping and bathing naked with him, has another older ridiculously hot girl throwing herself at him and saying she'd be happy to be in his harem/share him, countless fangirls + the other ones looking for a FWB relationship.

Very realistic!

16. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

The Good:
    1) Writing is coherent and clear, better the most fanfiction. Decent action scenes.
    2) No magical cores. It says something about the state of HP fanfiction when this is praise worthy.
    3) Some interesting worldbuilding, I especially like some of the history.
    4) The author seems willing to take events to their logical conclusion and isn’t afraid to change from canon, at least some of the time.

The Bad:
    1) Luna seems mentally handicapped instead of eccentric. Her dependence and relationship with Harry is incredibly squicky.
    2) Mind/soul altering magic is relationship cheating, and it’s used heavily here. Magic/soul bonds can be used to justify any relationship, but it harms immersion and realism. It’s much more interesting if relationships are based on personality and character interactions, just like they are in real life.
    3) A lot of cliches

The Terrible:
    1) Clearly on its way to a harem, which I loathe with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns. Harems trivializes relationship conflict and cause characters to act out of character, and I find any character that would willingly agree to be a member unappealing.

I hope Luna dies. I can’t stand her character here and she does nothing but drag the story for me, and she’s also the one pushing a harem, so I’m hoping if she dies that terribleness will be dropped.

3/5 for now; will be lowering my rating to 2/5 once the harem comes into play.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  17. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Please note that I said that the romance is more natural than most Harry Potter stories I've read, not that it is natural in absolute real world terms. Most Harry Potter stories have absolute shit in romance progression and this story just happens to be better than most that I've found. The bar isn't exactly set all that high to begin with in Harry Potter fanfiction. The fact that Harry is not in the same relationship for the entire fic, but actually progresses through different relationships throughout, makes the story stand out as different in this one aspect, which is enough for me to appreciate it. This story is like finding an ordinary rock in a sea of horse crap. It may not be a gem, but is sure as hell isn't another piece of the crap sea.

18. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

So this updated again. No more Harry/Tonks. The battle felt well done.
    I've updated my rating to 4/5. "Good" seems adequate for this fic at the moment.

People Split up, especially teenage relationships are fickle. Its better than most This-is-my-first-ever-teenage-relationship-we-don't-fight-let's-marry-and-have-kids you see in most romance fics.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  19. syed

syed Supermod

I just had this idea, what happens if a werewolf is exposed to the joining? If they could be similarly adjusted, it might grant a measure of control to them.

I doubt that fleur will be that aggressive right now, I do see zabini being eager to make an ally. Harry might want her aid in dealing with his enemies. Harry will still have the increased sex drive, so while he won't be after a relationship, he might be opened to something else. There are plenty of girls interested in him, in the school.

Since void is really messing with him, he might soon add more runes, to counter its influences. He is binding bird speech to himself. He might be interested in the gillyweed enhancements.

His soul magics affect people and creatures potentially, could he affect wands? Make them loyal to him. Get access to the magics they cast. It might not matter much with normal wands, but I could be epic with the elder wand.

20. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    While I'm a bit late in reviewing here, I must comment on this story. It is actually quite good, but there are certain elements of this story that tend to be really off-putting.

The premise in and of itself is not very original, but the author does a decent job of intertwining it into his story. The prose is decent and the grammar is good. There are a few syntax errors and even quite a few grammatical ones but they can be overlooked. The word building he's got going is very intriguing.

There are many magical theories that he introduces, so that's a definite pro for both originality and creativity. A major concern is his apparent inability to actually create a decent exposition based on the aforementioned ideas he introduces. Noodlehammer has more than a piquant of innate creativity yet he never expands satisfyingly on his concepts. That's a real shame.

There is only really one bad aspect of this story and that's Harry's characterization. Portraying his protagonist as a promiscuous, virile male is just very much irrelevant. That and given his "sexual dominance/virility" the story is very clearly on the way to a harem. That is something I do NOT want.

All in all, it was good. A little rough around the edges but good nonetheless. I'm giving it a 3/5.