1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

People who've read Noodle's stuff knew that the gratuitous amount of sex was coming from the very get go. I just skim through it.

I'm still reading this because there really isn't anything else that is being updated regularly, and it hasn't gotten to the point that it's impossible to push through, though at this point it's more because there's not much else, rather than it being of exceptional quality.

2. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Much the same really.

I'm not reading it because it's some amazing piece of writing that causes self reflection or anything. It's a reasonably well written overpowered Harry, with everything that entails.

Is it Library worthy? I doubt it. But it's entertaining enough, and doesn't make me want to claw my eyes out, which instantly makes it better than most things on the FF.net HP front page.

3. Enthralled

Enthralled Squib

I think there's been quite a lot more smut in this fic than in his previous works. It might be because he got pissed off at people complaining, but he didn't use to be quite this bad about it.

4. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, that's what he said anyway. I think it's more on the lines that Noodlehammer really can't help himself. Guy is kinda obsessed with writing his version of the Ubermensch. All his stories have that sex god guy, above petty usual human conflicts and ethics. And them being really tall, of course.

He presents some good ideas, but I read his stories in a mindless trance most of the time. I think his fic that most kept my attention was the Stargate one, since he delved into some pretty new concepts.

5. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Well, this one is a fuckfest in its truest form. Bad puns definitely intended.

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

So update finally. It looks like Harry is finally taking an active role against the DEs. I think the way Noodle created these encounters is original which is a point in his favor however I'm not entirely sure what this trip to America is going to do for him. Also I know people have complained about his characterization of Luna in the past, and it never really bothered me until now. Who else thinks Luna should seem more mature now?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  7. syed

syed Supermod

I like the idea of Harry secretly hunting death eaters. Their going missing will make the ther worried. I can see them trying to influence the ministry to find the missing. Amelia will be happy as it gives her an excuse to investigate the bad guys, as they need to follow all leads.

If Harry could create a magic to influence, control or destroy dementors. He could sneak into prison to question and eliminate the imprisoned death eaters.

8. Kairos123

Kairos123 Squib

High Score:
    I have to say, Jon sold it a little too well. As someone who had no idea who Noodlehammer was, I came into this thinking it was going to be a story that skirted being cliche to do some interesting things. Which it was, kind of. Then things kind of deteriorated as the power escalation kept going up and harem shenanigans got involved.

Had some interesting ideas, but definitely more of guilty pleasure fic than anything else.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I don't think Jon ever tried to sell this thing as anything other than a guilty pleasure fic.

10. Jon

Look, just because I put the poison in front of you doesn't mean you're obliged to drink it.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Maybe not, but you can be damn sure it will taste pretty good.

12. Kairos123

Kairos123 Squib

High Score:
    That's true, and treating the warning line as an exaggeration was not my best idea. Describing the previous work as something "that went from a good story to progressively stranger ones that came off as a guilty-pleasure read that oft were more masturbatory than anything," seems to make a case for avoiding his next fic rather than giving it a chance.

It was definitely my fault, but I still came in thinking it was something else entirely.

13. Jon

The simple and honest truth about this story is as follows:

There are good ideas dispersed throughout the various chapters along with copious amounts of cliches and outright bad... I wouldn't call it writing exactly, I suppose the best word is... characterizations?

What it comes down to is your ability to endure the bad stuff to get the good things.

The capacity for doing so is different with everyone, a quick look at the reviews in the thread and the gamut of responses makes that abundantly clear. I think everyone is keenly aware of that, which is why you aren't seeing people arguing over the fics content, and are able to accept alternate opinions on it.

Liking what the fic has to offer isn't wrong, nor is being unable to stomach the bad to get to the good.

14. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

If anyone is still following this ... tell me when and if it gets interesting, will you? ^^

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

If your saying remind you when Voldemort comes back into the picture then you'll be waiting a while.

16. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Yeah, something like that. Because the author doesn't seem to have a major plot point currently and just lets his plot meander from Pointless to Dontcare to OhgreattheyhavesexagainandFleurdrinks#SemenOfPower.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

SOme of his ideas about magic are kind of interesting, but yeah I know what you mean. In the latest chapter we find out that in order to kill time Harry and Fleur sleep, eat, and fuck than repeat. Oh and sometimes they get up and take a walk around their tent.

18. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It started kinda promising, and his Naruto fics were "kinda" funny. So I hoped this will be also good, but ehh. He failed. And it sucks. So much handwave, so much pointless smut. At least no pretend-rape-while-destroying-a-planet-or-whatever-they-are-doing in his Naruto fics.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The pretend rape comes after Harry defeats Voldemort for the final time.

20. syed

syed Supermod

It sound like those ruins somehow cause a boom in first generation wizards, this was probally done on purpose to ensure there would always be a supply of magical sacrifices for the blood rituals.
    I I margined if Harry secretly recreates this magic somehow. Publicly the magic would deal with magical parasites and pests that accumulate in a magical location. Secretly, they would use those pests as a sacrifice to empower the creation of new wizards. Veela and vampires would be eager as they need a boost in magical human to continually exist.
    The ruins are likely powerful due to the age and number of blood rituals used to empower them. If Harry mimics it, hIs may be weaker, but in locations like London, the numbEr of magical buildings and the sheer number of people in the area would give a large number of new wizards.

I wonder if Harry will create his own ritual location, so,etching like standing stones or mini pyramid. I think he would make his own alter for such magics. His enemies would provide an excellent supply of sacrifices for his magics, so waste not, want not.