1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - T - Stargate

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by throwaawy, Oct 11, 2016.

1. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

Title: freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose
    Author: synecdochic
    Rating: Unrated. T?
    Genre: Drama
    Fandom: Stargate Atlantis
    Pairings: McKay/Shepard
    Summary: Because the meaning of life is "do the next thing", and we all carry the seeds of the past into our future. Futurefic, Rodney-centric.
    Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/6335230

This is one of those 'classic' fics that I'm actually surprised hasn't been in the library. I certainly think it's worth being there but who knows. It was originally posted on livejournal, bounced around from archive to archive then it was finally posted on AO3, which I'm linking here.

This is an AU!post-series fic where Rodney McKay has left the Stargate program and settled down as a university professor. It's fairly light on any sort of action but I really like how he transfers his experiences to the classroom and is able to (somewhat unintentionally) inspire a new generation of students.

The story covers his reintegration into academia (somewhat successful), into society (somewhat less so), and dealing with the fallout of leaving the SG program (the military is reluctant to let him go entirely, natch). Overall I really like how it progresses through, with the only pitfall being a relatively lacklustre ending. There is a semi-sequel which covers a time period about a decade after this fic, but even that is fairly brief.

There is a brief mention of a slash pairing, which the author mentioned as being the nail that made this AU, though IMO it's not really relevant to the story as a whole and can be completely disregarded if you've a mind to do so.

I would easily rate this a 4/5, simply because this is one of those stories I really like which involves outsider perspectives (of a sort).

This oneshot is part 1 of the series "Freedom's just another Word"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

4/5

Its a good character piece, the sequel has enough action to give some tension, and the first half is a good procedural teaching drama. I enjoyed it.

3. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

This pretty old. I think I read it somewhere else. I think it aged pretty well and I still like it. Slash is easy to disregard and its sequel is pretty nice too.

I think it is library worthy 4/5.