1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP From Hell's Heart by gtamaster316 - T - Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanks, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Title: From Hell's Heart
    Author: gtamaster316
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi//AU
    Fandom: Mass Effect
    Summary: AU First Contact War. It was 48 years of endless slaughter and death. And from the pain and suffering of such unprecedented conflict, emerged an unprecedented plot, born of hate, to bring it all to an end...
    Link: From Hell's Heart

I didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought I'd share it. I've never been a big fan of Mass Effect fanfiction unless it's crossed over with something like Halo or Battlestar Galactica, but this one I really enjoyed.

The universe in which we played in is very different in this fic. This is no rehash of canon with just a longer First Contact war. The author has made sure to emphasize the changes the war has caused in the galaxy.

One of the bright points, I think, is that instead of focusing on a ball numbing military combat story we are instead being shown the behind the scenes politics and consequences of the deals made.

My only complaints are that we are nearing 50k words and there hasn't been much movement plot wise imo. Instead we are being told about the changes in the galaxy and meeting various characters both from the game and OC before we really get the story moving. Though we are starting to see glimpses of the long term plot in more recent chapters.

So far I don't think the humanity love has been that bad. Sure, there's some (when isn't there?), but it's not like those fics where humans are this amazing species that can do no wrong and are super powerful.

Right now I'd put it at a 4/5, but with it has potential to get even better.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

Aside from the occasional spelling and grammar errors it is a well written story; remarkably atypical of the usual ME alt. first contact war theme.

It is not without its faults. The logic behind the Batarians being estranged from the council is contrived but forgivable and used as an interesting thematic foil.

The hasty interlude II, was completely unnecessary and felt extremely forced. It really hurt the flow of the story.

Like the OP stated, the plot is rather slow developing, but it is an interesting read and a breath of fresh air from the various "human superior" stories out there in the ME fan fiction.

Overall, the story is about a 3.5 / 5, rounded up to 4.