1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen "Fanfics"

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Anyone read any good ones?

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
  3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Uh. There are a lot of femslashy fics if that's your thing. ^^

4. Stalin's Pipe Organs

If they're DLP good, then sure.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, yeah, incest and yuri in most of these.

Argos by 4mation

Kinda a continuation, where the relationship between Anna and Elsa is viewed through the eyes of various people at court. Not really a romance story, at least not only, as it fleshes out the kingdom and society they live in. The author seems to take bits from other fantasy series, such as a Dancing Master who hails from Spain and should be familiar to the readers of ASoIaF and other stuff. It's really well crafted and fits rather well as it is. It exists in the same universe as the other Pixar and Disney animated movies, with references to Tangled, Brave and HTTYD. Meridia and her parents made an appearance in the last chapter and Hiccup is sure to appear as well as the Vikings from their village have been mentioned.

Overall, very well written and engaging, showing the consequences this union has and the lengths various people at court go to deal/live with/conceal it. It helps that similarly, there is a plot with the Southern Isles in the making. So yeah, definitely worth a read.

Frozen : The Snow Queen by Helm Vandrella

Completed and with sequel that is still regularly updated. This is far more in line with the atmosphere of the movie, reading like a continuation that could be possible, albeit a bit more political in nature than I think a Disney movie would be. Shows Elsa trying to rule as a Queen and how what happened with her powers influenced the political field in Europe and in her kingdom, while still having disney-ish adventures in a neighboring kingdom. It's decent, worth a read and while the first story is merely enjoyable, the second one is shaping to be much better, with a greater focus on the European reactions to a person who can create blizzards and stuff. So yeah, don't expect that much from my description but still, good enough. No yuri or incest, if that helps.

Fire and Ice by Delusional Fishies/Deviate's Fish

So yeah, multi crossover. Summery doesn't sound like much and I just clicked on it for novelties sake, since the premise sounded so ...odd and awesome but the writing quality surprised and after being a bit suspicious about the name of the author I checked their profile, only to find out it's Deviate's Fish, who wrote probably my favorite Fate Zero story with Thu'um of a Distant Utopia, about which I will be forever bitter for its incompleteness. So yeah, definitely worth checking out. Elsa and Azula are in character, it is enjoyable to see them bouncing off of each other and the point where they were dumped into the GoT world is rather interesting as it isn't where one would think.

It is especially amusing since both are hilariously OP and one can't help but think that it would improve Westeros considerably if Azula were to take over. Relatively short and in its beginning stages, and I do not exactly have faith in its completion, but worth checking out. No yuri or incest so far but it is ASoIaF, so....

r9kElsa Is Suffering by AnonElsa

Modern AU, which sounds bad, but the author has actually crafted a really heartbreaking story around this, with all the social dilemma and conflict that can come from a relationship between sisters. No superpowers, but there are other, more grounded reasons for Elsa's isolation during her childhood and how that would play out in a modern setting, with far more exposure to media and games. It has its faults, certainly, but it had me gripped from beginning to end and was rather heartbreaking at times. Elsa dealing with her issues and her feelings makes for a tense read.

A Date With the Drum Major by Arendelle's Drum Major

I probably shouldn't recc this, because it isn't really up to the DLP taste but in case you wanted some lighthearted romance fluff without much drama in an odd modern AU setting, this is perfect. Easy to read, a bit of charm and a setting in which the two aren't related. Not library material exactly (at all, really) but if you are in the mood for some fluffy romance, this should do. Guilty pleasure category.

Edit: While the Tangled cameo of Rapunzel and Eugene is well known, I really liked the idea that the ship of Elsa's and Anna's parents that sunk, is the same ship that Ariel explores in her movie. Dunno, I really like the idea that all these Disney and Pixar movies are playing in the same universe and am fond of stories which embrace that.

http://kotaku.com/wait-are-frozen-tangled-and-the-little-mermaid-all-co-1546696311

A bit stretching, I know, but still, cool premise.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read a fair bit of this. It's better than it sounds, but it's probably not the jewel of the fandom or anything (not that I'd know what qualifies, I think I've only read this and one other short, crappy one). I stopped reading a few chapters ago when the story took a direction I didn't like, but I might pick it up again later. Obviously the pairing is controversial, but, well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I second the Fire and Ice recc.

8. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm gonna add a third onto Fire and Ice. I really want this story to take off so we can see Azula and Elsa fuck around the other armies. And yes, Azula would be a step up as ruler of Westoros, which is kinda sad.

9. Zeelthor

r9kElsa Is Suffering was pretty good.

10. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Yeah, kind of surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

11. Zeelthor

I've always loved romances where there's shitloads of adversity or that are doomed altogether. It could do with some fleshing out and really, it should be an original work and not a Frozen fic... But that aside, I'd put it as a weak 4/5.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Conflict in relationships is so commonplace now in fiction and in RL it's become a bore.

Write me a romance where both parties aren't retarded and are partners in the best possible sense from the beginning.

Show them facing adversity, then utterly demolishing it by working together because they love and trust each other.

Tl;dr i want some fiction in my fiction. The real world is depressing enough.

13. Nemrut

High Score:
    Overall, I agree, am sick of the forced conflict, the triangles, the contrived evil douchebag exes and whatnot. Same with the communication problems. Which is why I was glad that Elsa is suffering avoided most of this stuff and the tropes it did use, were used relatively well.

The strength of the writing and the interaction between the characters has to be strong enough to endure those used tropes and it is a rare story that does so, or avoids those tropes entirely.

The Frozen fandom does love to overuse Hans as the obviously evil ex quite a lot, which is getting really annoying.

14. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fire and Ice was an unsuspected gem. I couldn't believe I was reading a Frozen/Avatar/ASoIaF crossover that was done decently. I'll probably follow it for the remaining two chapters before it's abandoned.

15. frantic

frantic Boosted

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haven't seen Frozen, but came for the yuri.

R9kElsa is Suffering I really liked. Looking forward to see more. Kinda interesting that they actually get caught and are forced to deal with some consequences. As Nemrut pointed out, it manages to avoid a lot of the poorly written tropes every other Modern!Frozen fic I've tried (which has been a few in the last couple of days). Still wouldn't exactly say it's top quality material, but I don't feel bad for enjoying it.

Couldn't get into A Date With the Drum Major at all. It's got all of those things mentioned previously, minus any of the chemistry or concepts that make B-grade fanfics like this still somewhat enjoyable.

Probably need to actually watch the movie before I try any of the other ones.

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The movie is nice to have for context, but given that most fanfics in this fandom are pretty much original fiction with names and faces stamped on, it's not entirely necessary.

18. Nemrut

High Score:
    Really tired right now, but will post more fics tomorrow once I wake up. Read quite a lot and there are a few decent ones. A lot of guilty pleasures too, though.

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Okay, here are a few more. Most of them are modern AU's, though, oddly enough. Probably because this allows it for them to not be sisters in that setting. Doesn't really negate the fact that everyone knows they are still sisters but I guess, that prevents the drama that would have to be included on that front, so, can't really fault them for that.

You Are by Pmrising

Alongside with Argus, and, to a degree, r9kElsa this is probably the best written fics of Frozen that I have found so far. Modern AU, obviously, but a really well crafted one. The writing style especially, from the POV of Anna, was really compelling. It reminded me somewhat of Lamora's style, but instead of epicness, this narrative lend itself more towards emotional responses. The characters were well written and rather vivid. Hans, especially, I particularly liked as this story divorced itself from the one-dimensional jerk character that he is usually portrayed as.

I am tempted to put this one into the library, to be honest, but I am not quite sure whether this story is good enough or if it was because I've read this during a frozen fic marathon at four in the morning.

Love Lesson 9 by Hunhund

Another modern AU. Nicely written, I quite liked this one. Nothing amazing, but solid writing. No surprises or anything, but good fluff.

The Sting of Summers Winter by GhostofWintersPast

Another one of those. Nothing amazing or anything groundbreaking, but in case you guys are in the mood for fluff. Longer than usual.

A Crown Among Peasants by Jaslyn

Not a modern AU for a change. These are surprisingly hard to find. Meh overall, has quite a few flaws in its writing, but also some nice ideas. Elsa reads a bit odd. No library material at all, but, also worth a read if you have nothing better to do.

A Snowflake in Spring by Celery Sticks

This one, I really liked. Strong enough to deserve its place here. Surprisingly good, quite like the developing dynamic and the portrayal of the characters. Among the better ones.

Will look for some non modern AU fics next, have a few lined up that I have yet to read.

20. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Do you have anything similar to r9kElsa? Only fic here that I really enjoyed...